Read 5849 times

Re: How do your coteachers discipline?
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:26:42 pm »
It's a shame really that some teachers just don't care, or are not qualified enough to handle the situation.

There are no qualifications that enable someone to do the impossible.

Without corporal punishment.. the schools will continue their descent in chaos. Its a waste of time for everyone. Not sure what it will take for people to admit that. Hopefully not a terrible accident.
Creating shared values

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 11:49:45 pm »
It's a shame really that some teachers just don't care, or are not qualified enough to handle the situation.

Without corporal punishment.. the schools will continue their descent in chaos. Its a waste of time for everyone. Not sure what it will take for people to admit that. Hopefully not a terrible accident.

Actually, Seoul Cruiser was advocating physical punishment. With the pinching thing. It's still physical.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 06:02:55 am »

That's a load. There are plenty of ways to handle the situations. Sadly, Korea does seem capable of implementing such policies. No teacher should have to be physical with a student, but Korea doesn't leave the teacher with many options.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 09:56:31 am »

That's a load. There are plenty of ways to handle the situations. Sadly, Korea does seem capable of implementing such policies. No teacher should have to be physical with a student, but Korea doesn't leave the teacher with many options.

The problem is the parents. With Korea's history of infant mortality, the abysmal government pensions and debt trap middle-class Koreans find themselves in, parents believe that the only insurance policy for their retirement are their children. As a result, children are spoilt rotten, the logic being that when they're older and have money, they'll look after their parents.
In addition, robbed of their own teenage and childhood years, young parents find themselves unwilling to raise children and would rather pass the buck to the school or the grandparents.

This changes when poor little Minsu runs to mommy because mean ol' teacher made him stay after class for writing his name on the desk and acting like a little sh*t. Mommy, desperate to stay in little Minsu's good books, calls the VP and launches a fusillade of complaints, threats and accusations about mean ol' teacher.  VP's spine disintegrates, concedes to the parent and reprimands mean ol' teacher, and so, we are all connected in the great circle of life.

I still haven't figured out why everyone bends to the parents'/students' will. We all know that even a teacher charged with sexual assault, will simply be suspended for a month or two and transferred. It's not like the parents pay fees, why won't anyone just tell the parents to get stuffed?

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:17 am »

The problem is the parents. With Korea's history of infant mortality, the abysmal government pensions and debt trap middle-class Koreans find themselves in, parents believe that the only insurance policy for their retirement are their children. As a result, children are spoilt rotten, the logic being that when they're older and have money, they'll look after their parents.
In addition, robbed of their own teenage and childhood years, young parents find themselves unwilling to raise children and would rather pass the buck to the school or the grandparents.

This changes when poor little Minsu runs to mommy because mean ol' teacher made him stay after class for writing his name on the desk and acting like a little sh*t. Mommy, desperate to stay in little Minsu's good books, calls the VP and launches a fusillade of complaints, threats and accusations about mean ol' teacher.  VP's spine disintegrates, concedes to the parent and reprimands mean ol' teacher, and so, we are all connected in the great circle of life.

I still haven't figured out why everyone bends to the parents'/students' will. We all know that even a teacher charged with sexual assault, will simply be suspended for a month or two and transferred. It's not like the parents pay fees, why won't anyone just tell the parents to get stuffed?

That is part of the problem as well. Actually know some parents who blamed their child's teacher because their child called the cops (cops scolded the shit out of him, and the parents) on another student because someone called him a name.  How it all becomes the teachers fault, I have no clue.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 08:04:56 am »
Darn!  I was hoping I can get some new ideas for discipline in this thread.

I find that my CTs can get the kids quieter than I can without really disciplining them.  However, what I do is make them stand in the back.  I use my cell as a timer.  If the students are more than five minutes late they must stand in the back for 3 minutes.  If they forgot their book or don't have it, I also give 3 minutes.

I used to do 5 - 10 minutes but was yelled at by my CT because "parents may not like it."  I agreed but told her that I have no clue how standing for 10 minutes could be a problem.  It's not like I am telling them to hold heavy weights for 10 minutes.  It's standing!   

The most common form CTs  and NETs use is to to make them do all their work after the bell rings cutting into their break time. 

Last year, one homeroom teacher had a point system, it was the best behaved class in the school.  Basically, the homeroom teacher would give me a board with a -1, 0, +1 on it.  I would circle what the class was that day.  That worked out really well!  If they got 100 points they had a ramen part so they dreaded the -1.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:03 am »
use some kind of class reward system, which pressures the bad kids into behaving from pressure from everyone else

for example, at the beginning of the year i'd get the students to create their own class rules. we'd choose the best 5 as a class and they all write them into their books and sign. i'd check them, and sign them too. this would be our contract

if any student breaks a rule in class, i'd write a big X on the board. if the class gets three Xs, they don't get a class point.

ten class points and they get to watch a movie for the class period.

no kid likes being the one that stops the class from getting a class point, even the bad kids. after a week or two, the class usually self-polices itself

• Teemowork
  • Expert Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 08:21:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 08:47:31 am »
Darn!  I was hoping I can get some new ideas for discipline in this thread.

I find that my CTs can get the kids quieter than I can without really disciplining them.  However, what I do is make them stand in the back.  I use my cell as a timer.  If the students are more than five minutes late they must stand in the back for 3 minutes.  If they forgot their book or don't have it, I also give 3 minutes.

I used to do 5 - 10 minutes but was yelled at by my CT because "parents may not like it."  I agreed but told her that I have no clue how standing for 10 minutes could be a problem.  It's not like I am telling them to hold heavy weights for 10 minutes.  It's standing!   

The most common form CTs  and NETs use is to to make them do all their work after the bell rings cutting into their break time. 

Last year, one homeroom teacher had a point system, it was the best behaved class in the school.  Basically, the homeroom teacher would give me a board with a -1, 0, +1 on it.  I would circle what the class was that day.  That worked out really well!  If they got 100 points they had a ramen part so they dreaded the -1.

That's interesting.  I remember talking to some Korean friends about how school life was when they were younger.  They said that in those days (over a decade or two ago), the teachers had a lot of power and corporal punishment wasn't even considered unusual nor abusive.

One of my friends told me that one time, he had caused trouble in school, and his homeroom teacher decided to spank him with a stick to teach him a lesson.  Being angry about it, he told his parents about it when he got home.  His parents, being furious about the situation, went to the school to talk to the teacher.  The teacher told the parents what the kid had done wrong, and his parents beat him AGAIN for it, haha.  Basically, the parents agreed, and THANKED the teacher for disciplining their child.  The parents even informed the teacher to personally call them if anything happens again, because they want to punish their son a second time when he causes trouble in school.  They basically said, "please teach him the right way, and punish him "hardly" if he strays away from good behavior"

From that day forward, my friend NEVER reported "corporal punishment" to his parents again.  He was fearful of double punishments, knowing that his parents would agree with the teacher haha.  He claimed that he his parents DIDN'T act strict on him, he probably would've continued to be a troublemaker.  And for that, he thanked his parents and teacher for guiding him, even if he was through physical means.  And the result?  He got good scores on his graduation exam, went to a decent university, got a job at a decent sized company, recently got married and is expecting a child, and has no regrets/complaints.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 01:08:12 pm »
I forgot one that my CT does.  I have six tables students sit around.  The loudest or rudest table has to sweep and clean the class afterwards.  If there is nothing to sweep, she will give them water tissue and they clean the window sills, tables, etc.

But yeah, discipline is good.  One of the students that had to stand for 10 minutes the next week was answering questions the following week.  His English is probably the worst in the class but I reward any trying.  I punished him by making him stand for 10 minutes.  The following week, he was raising his hand telling me what the animals were in English, which was the most I ever heard him use.  I have no regrets when it comes to disciplining students. 

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:57 pm »
At my old middle school, they had the -1, 0, 1 thing and the class with the most points got some kind of party at the end.

I also had my own point system and had classes had to compete with each other. I would update the scoreboard and show the points before every class.

One student with no book? -1
Noisy and loud? -1
Late to class? -1

Worked very well and I very rarely had students forget their books.

The wining class had a movie and pizza party at the end of the semester.

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:14 pm »
Korean teachers violence is often overlooked yet foreign teachers aren't even allowed to raise their voice anymore. Its really quite pathetic.

You really need to stop acting like your experience is indicative of every school. In my workplace there are a large number of foreign teachers and we all have free reign on our discipline. Raising our voices is totally acceptable. I rarely do it myself but the odd time that it has been necessary has been no issue whatsoever. I know another teacher that regularly takes kids out of the room and tears into them (whether you agree with that style or not is irrelevant) and it's no issue.

Of course corporal punishment is off limits, as it should be, and we have zero issues with discipline.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 04:14:01 pm »
At my old middle school, they had the -1, 0, 1 thing and the class with the most points got some kind of party at the end.

I also had my own point system and had classes had to compete with each other. I would update the scoreboard and show the points before every class.

One student with no book? -1
Noisy and loud? -1
Late to class? -1

Worked very well and I very rarely had students forget their books.

The wining class had a movie and pizza party at the end of the semester.

There might be something to that, a sort of rollover jackpot. I do something similar although I give points individually and give rewards at the end of each class. It works ok except the kids that are so far behind give up trying and focus on disrupting the rest.
Creating shared values