Read 1206 times

• rebish
  • Waygookin

• January 31, 2016, 05:27:57 am
    • NJ, USA
Hi, my boyfriend and I were just offered a position and the Chilgok Moonkkang branch (which is not actually in Chilgok, but in Dongcheondong, Daegu). Pay is 2.6 plus couples housing. I've heard a lot of positive things about Moonkkang, but I wanted to get a few opinions here.

Location: Is anyone familiar with Dongcheondong? I've been told by a current teacher that, even though it's on the northern outskirts, there's a decent about to do there and the subway is right there.

Vacation: Moonkkang has four week-long vacation periods throughout the year (during major holidays), so 20 vacation days but no other national holidays off. This sounds like it could be much better for traveling, but does anyone have experience with this type of schedule? Is it tough to get through months with no three-day weekends?

Working hours: M/T/Th/F 1:10-910 with a half hour prep before classes start in there but possibly teaching eight 50 minute classes with just 5/10 min breaks between them. Wed is a prep/retest day with no classes and only work 4-9. Thoughts?

I'm hesitant about the possibility of having no breaks (they said I may have breaks in schedule but not guaranteed so to plan around 8 classes a day). But I've heard such positive thing about Moonkkang that I can't imagine it would be an unbearable work day. Any feedback on these points would be very much appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:03:30 am by rebish »

I live in Daegu and I've been told it's an amazing place to work with few vacancies.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• rebish
  • Waygookin

• January 31, 2016, 05:27:57 am
    • NJ, USA
I live in Daegu and I've been told it's an amazing place to work with few vacancies.

That's good to know! How do you like Daegu?

Other than the smog and awful drivers I like Daegu, it's pretty easy to get around and it's close to Busan.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

OP, what came of this? I've been thinking about Moonkkang myself, but that schedule... :O Seems that I recall that anything more than five hours in a row should come with a 30-minute break, and eight hours comes with an hour-long break. (Note: No, the breaks don't come at the end of those lengths! Oh, the crazy stuff hagwon owners tell us...)

Anyway, just curious. Seems like a great place otherwise, so just checking. Hope it worked out well for you guys. Welcome to Daegu!