Read 1161 times

Starting the process...
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:06 am »
I'm currently a university student set to graduate in the spring of 2017, and I want to teach in S. Korea in fall 2017. I was wondering what a good first step to take in this process would be, and what steps I can actually take while I'm waiting to graduate? If there is a forum or post that already explains the process of becoming and english teacher in Korea, please link me to it! I feel so lost and I don't know where to begin with things like background checks, visas, etc.

I just don't want to be rushing to get everything together at the last minute, and I also don't know when schools start their hiring periods for fall and spring.

Re: Starting the process...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:38:21 am »
The best thing you can do at this stage is start your research into what documents you will need for the route you want to take.

I suggest working with either a recruiter (Korvia for example) or directly with a representative from a program like EPIK, GEPIK or TaLK. They can help you with the finding of a job and with deadlines.

You'll need some sort of TEFL/TESOL certificate. Some colleges will offer a program, and there are online courses as well.

Also, take the time to research the culture. Day to day living and the like. Make sure you like the food and can live with the climate. Make a clear evaluation of yourself as well. Can you live in a small "rural" community? Do you have to be in a large city? Do you mind riding the bus to work? Do you want to work with elementary school students or older students? Public school or Hagwon?

You're definitely starting out on the right foot by showing interest this early. Use the time wisely and do some research. Email people. Ask questions.

• gnomon
  • Veteran

• February 05, 2014, 01:24:34 pm
    • Gunpo
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:43:40 am »
Honestly, before you graduate, there's not much to do but research things. Find out what documents you need.
-You'll need copies of your transcript once you graduate.
-You'll need to have your degree notarized so you could research different people in your area who provide that service and what their rates are.
-Find out where to get your criminal record check. I don't know where you are from so it's hard to say where to start with that. In Canada, I applied for it at my local police station. In the US, I think you have to apply to the FBI. These are supposed to be within the last six months, so you can't get it yet.
-Research recruiters. Don't be afraid to use multiple recruiters. Only once you have a job lined up, will the visa process itself begin. A recruiter will walk you through that.
-Look up where the nearest Korean consulate is. You'll either be traveling there in the future, or mailing them documents and your passport.
-Make sure you will have a valid passport for when you want to come.

There are many posts on here about all of that, but they can be hard to find using the sites search function.

So just go to Google and put site:waygook.org in front of your search terms.

• hephoto
  • Waygookin

• April 07, 2016, 01:37:38 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:00 am »
As gaelynwrites said, it's great that you are starting the process early.  EPIK is a wonderful resource for beginners, and large recruiting companies, such as Korvia, have a world of resources on their websites.

I'm curious to know why you selected Korea?  I enjoy it here, and many folks that I know have had great experiences.  On the other hand, there are those who have not, so I'm always curious about a person's reasons for selecting one country over another.  I write all that to say, if you aren't set on Korea specifically, you could also look into programs in other countries.  This will open even more doors for you.  If Korea is the only place for you, however, best of luck to you.  :smiley:

I would also suggest that you start learning Korean.  Most importantly, the Korean alphabet.  This will help you to navigate the country more easily once you are here.  I was so thankful to have learned some Korean prior to coming here.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:48:07 am »
Well I studied in Hong Kong for a semester and had a Korean neighbor on my floor, and she really made South Korea sound like a great place! She said if I liked Hong Kong that I would probably like SK too, and so here I am  :smiley:
As gaelynwrites said, it's great that you are starting the process early.  EPIK is a wonderful resource for beginners, and large recruiting companies, such as Korvia, have a world of resources on their websites.

I'm curious to know why you selected Korea?  I enjoy it here, and many folks that I know have had great experiences.  On the other hand, there are those who have not, so I'm always curious about a person's reasons for selecting one country over another.  I write all that to say, if you aren't set on Korea specifically, you could also look into programs in other countries.  This will open even more doors for you.  If Korea is the only place for you, however, best of luck to you.  :smiley:

I would also suggest that you start learning Korean.  Most importantly, the Korean alphabet.  This will help you to navigate the country more easily once you are here.  I was so thankful to have learned some Korean prior to coming here.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 05:26:29 am »
Well I studied in Hong Kong for a semester and had a Korean neighbor on my floor, and she really made South Korea sound like a great place! She said if I liked Hong Kong that I would probably like SK too, and so here I am

So you've already had experience of Koreans' number one shtick (telling everyone how great their country is.) before you've even arrived here. In fact If you end up in a small town in Korea it's going to be a very different experience from Hong Kong. Even Seoul is in my opinion, and not in a good way.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:28:35 am by eggieguffer »