Read 12087 times

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

• June 19, 2016, 09:07:39 am
Re: PS salaries should be higher
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 01:00:03 am »
You can't compare a head teacher's job in a hagwon to a head teacher's job in a regular school.
I wasn't :afro:

Well how do you know I won't be able to negotiate 700k more? Yes, it's likely to be the head foreign teacher I guess not the head of the school.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 07:42:09 am »
Well how do you know I won't be able to negotiate 700k more? Yes, it's likely to be the head foreign teacher I guess not the head of the school.
Because we know how things work here, and we've seen your posts.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:57:10 am »
I've since been offered a job in UAE for 11000AED plus accommodation and flights.
But I would prefer to get to Korea and get the head teacher's job it will be almost the same as 11000AED then.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: good luck with that Hagwon and "Head teacher's job"....  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:19 am »
You can't compare a head teacher's job in a hagwon to a head teacher's job in a regular school.

Good luck with that as well. I am sure you will be able to beat out the competition who holds master degrees to get that 3 million won a month.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 08:02:07 am »
Considering that we get free accommodations and considering how easy the job is, I don't think the pay is all that bad. I've seen PS teachers in Seoul and Anyang who had full, two bedroom apartments. It was ridiculous and seems to explain why they are running out of money. I know that isn't always the case but my current PS apartment is bigger and nicer than anything any academy ever gave me. The only real drag is unstable funding and getting let go because they "can't afford you" even if both you and the school want you to stay. That's no good for anyone.

I actually had a friend in a public middle school who had hardly any work to do and they ran out of funding. He was there for years and years and so he was at the highest pay grade. Now he works at a private public school (still not exactly sure how they work) and has a regular 22 class a week schedule and he complains incessantly because he actually has to work as hard as the rest of us, which still isn't that hard. Most friends I knew in public before I got in were slackers of the highest order. One guy left work one day to go have margaritas and lunch with some hagwon friends of ours and no one said anything or even noticed he was gone. He'd brag about sleeping in the sick bed in the spare room during desk warming. Honestly, if you have a decent coteacher and work in a halfway decent location, these gigs are easy and there is tons of down time for personal growth opportunities.

If the schools were to start hiring actual, qualified teachers instead of just any old person with a degree and a dodgy TEFL certificate, then I might agree that wages should be a bit more competitive. But that isn't the case.

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 08:16:17 am »
asiaman, your posts are quite comical. Keep them coming, I quite enjoy reading them over my morning coffee.

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:40 am »
I'd rather work here than be on my feet for 8 hours a day at somewhere like B&Q and dealing with the general public.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:10 am »

Well, you say things like 2.5 is a cheapskate salary for a head teacher, and you're specifically referring to a hagwon job, yet you have  no actual knowlegde of what that posotion implies, so how can you know if it's a cheapskate salary?

Despite the fact that you have lots of previous teaching experience, to any hagwon that you go into as a new teacher, you're not worth much more than an unexperienced new graduate. Why? Because they don't know how you will work out for them.

Hagwons are businesses. It's all about the retention and recruitment of students. If the students/parents don't like you, they'll quit, and that loses the hagwon money. If they do like you, and they stay, then you're in a strong position to negotiate a higher salary and other benefits.

I get paid more than the 3mil you're hoping for as head foreign teacher, but I've been at my hagwon for 4 years, have a high retention rate, and actually have waiting lists for 2 of my classes, so I've had no difficulty in negotiating respectable annual increases, plus extra vacation time.

The salary that you're hoping for isn't impossible, but it is highly unlikely to happen in a single increment as you're hoping.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 08:36:22 am »
Asiaman is def UKteacher's sock. At least I hope so. I can't handle this much stupidity coming from 2 separate people

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:40 am »
The OP posted about this in the Incheon English Teachers Jobs Market group. When I read it, I thought "Why would someone post about this in this group?" and "Oh, it has to be UK Teacher!"

Now I see this thread and there is no doubt.

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 09:08:02 am »
A lot of people have already responded with pretty much the same answers but here goes:

I looked at public school (EPIK) jobs once. I saw that the salary when you first join is about 2.2-2.3m won per month, something like that. Salaries should be higher especially if you're already an experienced teacher. Why would I want to start at that level when I have a number of years' experience.
You're in the wrong field if you're looking to make a lot of money. Of course it's possible to make the amount that you want, but it's laughable that you think they're going to give it to you when you arrive fresh off the plane. Unfortunately, your previous experiences don't count for much unless they are from Korea, and I assume that's especially true for hagwons when they need to see your worth first-hand.

Also teachers are invariably just out of college and have student debts to pay off.
All the more reason to start off low. If you're just out of college, you're even less likely to have any real experience. And besides, why would the school care about your personal financial situation? Oh, you have student debts? Why don't we increase your pay so you can get that sorted out. While we're at it, here's a pot of rainbows and some baby unicorns.

Salaries should IMO start at about 3m won and go up to 4m won per month. That's a decent salary then. That's what you get paid as a teacher in PS in your home country so why shouldn't Korea pay the same if they want you to travel all the way over there?
This is mostly just because there are people willing to come over for that salary for the chance to be in Korea (or more likely, to be close to Japan). Also, you really can't compare the salaries like that with your home country. This was already mentioned, but there are several factors that determine what the actual value of your salary is: taxes, cost of living, benefits, etc., etc. Compare the UK salary to UK conditions and Korean salary to Korean conditions. They obviously are not going to care about the exchange rate; what matters is that you can live comfortably on the salary in Korea.

It's the same with Taiwan. I looked at that last month and PS pays 68000Taiwan dollars a month with the 5000 housing included in that. That's ALL they pay! And you have to pay your own flight out there before it gets reimbursed.
AS it happens, I'll be starting on 2.3m soon but at a hagwon. But I have the opportunity of getting the head's position with a higher salary so I'm looking at 3m won there. So I don't mind starting off at 2.3m
Good luck with that.

Should all get higher salaries. we all got bachelor's degrees and CELTAs and CELTAs aren't cheap to get. What to do about it though? Hold demonstrations in the street outside MOE? You get 2.3 m won working at the local DIY store in America and UK don't you? don't even need a bachelor's and CElTA for that. :afro:
LOL I know (I think?) you're just joking about this, but if we tried to hold demonstrations (which, by the way, I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to do on an E2 visa) they would just fire you and find someone else willing to work for that salary, maybe even less.

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:41 am »
Asiaman is def UKteacher's sock. At least I hope so. I can't handle this much stupidity coming from 2 separate people
Who's UKTeacher? what's stupid about what I wrote. I just wrote that salaries are the same as what you get at B and Q, as someone here mentioned. 2.1m won is offered quite frequently. I just think it's a bit too low for the job that's all. It's not stupid to think that. If you get a lot more than that then fine, the salary is ok then. ANything over 2.6m is ok. That's 1500 then so it's doable.  SOmone has a laugh over her coffee apparently. Why? What's so funny about the post. Just cos I think salaries are a tad on the low side in Korea (for korea?) doesn't mean everyone will agree with me. Korea is a pretty rich country and i think the cost of living isn't that cheap so you need to be earning a decent wage to get by. Anyhow, just keep sending those dollars back home to pay off those debts. Cool. I'm outta here. :cheesy:

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:32 am »
Yirgacheffe...I read your post. A lot of what you say makes sense. ;D It's the 2.1m 2.2m won I think is a bit too low. :afro: You're right about demonstrations an all, they'd just get someone else to do the job. Such is life.

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

• September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:52 am »
While I do agree that wages should increase along with the cost of living here, considering we barely work compared to English teachers around the world and we have free housing, I feel like this is still a fair deal overall, at least for PS jobs. If you don't like it, don't come here. Go work in the UAE and Angola and make those fortunes. You have the freedom to do whatever you want. What a time to be alive, right?

But if you do come here and negotiate, please keep us updated and let us know how it goes. I personally doubt you will do much, but if you do, I would be mighty impressed.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:12 am »
Who's UKTeacher? what's stupid about what I wrote. I just wrote that salaries are the same as what you get at B and Q, as someone here mentioned. 2.1m won is offered quite frequently. I just think it's a bit too low for the job that's all. It's not stupid to think that. If you get a lot more than that then fine, the salary is ok then. ANything over 2.6m is ok. That's 1500 then so it's doable.  SOmone has a laugh over her coffee apparently. Why? What's so funny about the post. Just cos I think salaries are a tad on the low side in Korea (for korea?) doesn't mean everyone will agree with me. Korea is a pretty rich country and i think the cost of living isn't that cheap so you need to be earning a decent wage to get by. Anyhow, just keep sending those dollars back home to pay off those debts. Cool. I'm outta here. :cheesy:

You're posting the same comments here as on Dave's, about your 2.3mil job with the possibility of the head teacher job, about your degree equivalent etc etc, with the username greyhound, and have already admitted to being UK teacher over there.

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 09:39:01 am »
[quote author=Imogen1991 link=topic=98421.msg634334#msg634334 date=146655578
You're posting the same comments here as on Dave's, about your 2.3mil job with the possibility of the head teacher job, about your degree equivalent etc etc, with the username greyhound, and have already admitted to being UK teacher over there.
:laugh: you're smart :police:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:57 am »
Why are wages low?

Supply exceeds demand.

Simple as that.

[Mic Drop]
[Exit]

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 10:42:52 am »
Why are wages low?

Supply exceeds demand.

Simple as that.

[Mic Drop]
[Exit]

So why are wages so high on the Hong Kong NET scheme where supply also exceeds demand?

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:02 am »
Hong Kong requires a teaching license which a significantly fewer proportion of ESL teachers have, and if you have a teaching license you also have the option of teaching at int'l schools. Hence the high salary.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 10:54:45 am »
Why are wages low?

Supply exceeds demand.

Simple as that.

[Mic Drop]
[Exit]

So why are wages so high on the Hong Kong NET scheme where supply also exceeds demand?
Because the cost of living is higher?

If the wages in Hong Kong were lower no-one would want to teach there (because they couldn't afford it).  Supply would drop.  When it drops too far the wages would have to go up again.