Read 11284 times

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

• June 19, 2016, 09:07:39 am
PS salaries should be higher
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:57:11 pm »
I looked at public school (EPIK) jobs once. I saw that the salary when you first join is about 2.2-2.3m won per month, something like that. Salaries should be higher especially if you're already an experienced teacher. Why would I want to start at that level when I have a number of years' experience. Also teachers are invariably just out of college and have student debts to pay off. Salaries should IMO start at about 3m won and go up to 4m won per month. That's a decent salary then. That's what you get paid as a teacher in PS in your home country so why shouldn't Korea pay the same if they want you to travel all the way over there? It's the same with Taiwan. I looked at that last month and PS pays 68000Taiwan dollars a month with the 5000 housing included in that. That's ALL they pay! And you have to pay your own flight out there before it gets reimbursed.
AS it happens, I'll be starting on 2.3m soon but at a hagwon. But I have the opportunity of getting the head's position with a higher salary so I'm looking at 3m won there. So I don't mind starting off at 2.3m

Should all get higher salaries. we all got bachelor's degrees and CELTAs and CELTAs aren't cheap to get. What to do about it though? Hold demonstrations in the street outside MOE? You get 2.3 m won working at the local DIY store in America and UK don't you? don't even need a bachelor's and CElTA for that. :afro:

• maximmm
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 05, 2013, 11:02:44 am
Re: PS salaries should be higher
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
So says a poster who plans to buy a hagwon on E2 visa and recommends others to teach illegally.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:55:43 pm by maximmm »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:47:26 pm »
Welcome back Sonny.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 04:59:22 pm »
UK taxes are much higher and the 2.3m in the DIY store doesn't come with a furnished apartment and a one month bonus for finishing the contract.

Salaries should be higher but let's not compare apples with oranges.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:09:21 pm »
Welcome back Sonny.
I'm pretty sure it's UKteacher, though I know Sonny likes to use that emoticon.  From UKteachers' very first post:
I've been trying to get a job in Korea for a few months and most jobs I see are 2.1m won
That's £1216 or about £15000 a year. Why are wages so low in Korea then? For that wage you have to work your backside off, working 10 hour shifts and some saturdays.
You can earn 15k as a customer service advisor in the UK and you don't even need a degree to do that. You need a degree to teach in Korea. Shouldn't wages be 20k at least?

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »
I wouldn't teach illegally in Korea. Too risky. i only said that cuz he's only got 2 month's left, won't be getting his flight or severance, so he has nothing to lose.

Yeh taxes in the UK are about 23%. What's the net salary on 2.3m won per month, do you know? You're right too about the accommodation being free in Korea. Good ent it? But I really don't like getting paid the same as a low ball shop assistant in the diY store.
Plus I got my own house in the UK so I don't need to pay rent as it's all paid off.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 05:17:51 pm »
I wouldn't teach illegally in Korea. Too risky. i only said that cuz he's only got 2 month's left, won't be getting his flight or severance, so he has nothing to lose.

Yeh taxes in the UK are about 23%. What's the net salary on 2.3m won per month, do you know? You're right too about the accommodation being free in Korea. Good ent it? But I really don't like getting paid the same as a low ball shop assistant in the diY store.
Plus I got my own house in the UK so I don't need to pay rent as it's all paid off.

Apply for the Hong Kong NET programme

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »
LOL you're joking. That NET/SNET programme in Hong Kong pays 50000hong kong dollars a month with the housing allowance. But they prefer people with english degrees. The competition will be immense for that salary. But HK is expensive to rent in I believe.

I doubt I'd get that job so no point wasting my time applying. Some teacher on another teacher's forum was asking about it the other day. he has 18 years teaching experience as a PE teacher and some maths but he hasn't got a CELTA or TESOL. He was asking people if he should do a course to get one so he can get this snet job. He hasn't got any experience teaching EFL so I doubt he'd get the job either as you need a minimum of a year's experience teaching English.

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 05:42:11 pm »
I've since been offered a job in UAE for 11000AED plus accommodation and flights.
But I would prefer to get to Korea and get the head teacher's job it will be almost the same as 11000AED then.

• Imogen1991
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 18, 2015, 12:26:47 am
    • Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »
I've since been offered a job in UAE for 11000AED plus accommodation and flights.
But I would prefer to get to Korea and get the head teacher's job it will be almost the same as 11000AED then.

cool story bro, sounds like you should do that then and quit your complaining

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:25:48 pm »

cool story bro, sounds like you should do that then and quit your complaining
This might actually be sound advice.  If you're teaching adults here, is it split shifts?  I've never done it but have heard many times it's pretty difficult to pull off.  I'd also be concerned that a hagwon is offering a newbie the head teacher job, to me, that says something is wrong.  What I mean by this is, people are either leaving, or nobody wants to do that job because it sucks (in my experience, a lot of extra duties but not the pay to justify it).  I also could be wrong in this regard, but nobody I know who has been a head teacher has gotten a 700,000 won bump in pay, mostly it's 100,000 or 200,000 if you're really lucky. 

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:49:14 pm »
3m won per month is just £1766, just over £20k a year. That's not an unreasonable amount of money to pay for a head teacher's position. It's still less than the UAE salary of 11000AEd cos that's £2000 a month but I'm prepared to forego the 200 quid difference just to be in Korea and Asia. There are no split shifts, it's 2 til 10pm mon to fri with weekends off. The visa is much easier to get than a UAE work visa I think and cheaper.

If they're only going to give me 100-200k won more then they can do one. I might accept 2.8m won minimum. I'm not bothered about doing the job. I can handle the pressure I think. Just pay up properly that's all. How much do hagwons with a decent amount of students make per year? This one's supposed to have a number of teachers and students. I asked the recruiter if they're ok and he said they're stable. Is there a companies house website for Korean companies to look at their turnover?

• Mr. Pink
  • Adventurer

• May 23, 2016, 07:24:52 pm
    • NY
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
the lowest rank of pay actually for the Hong Kong NET scheme is 3,400 US Dollars - not HK dollars. housing allowance is around 2,000 US dollars last time i checked.

not sure what the cost of living is. the pay seems good but the program is really competitive and there is a long wait list of very qualified people for it.

Taiwan pays about the same in Won for PS jobs but you have to get your own housing. although cost of living there is way cheaper than SK. again you need to be a certified teacher to get PS jobs in Taiwan.

this is what korea doesn't realize. they say they want qualified teachers, but aren't prepared to pay to get them.

asiadude is kinda right. if they want to change the program to fully-certified teachers only they'd need to pay around 3 million Won per month, and then housing on top of that.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 08:57:33 pm »
3m won per month is just £1766, just over £20k a year. That's not an unreasonable amount of money to pay for a head teacher's position. It's still less than the UAE salary of 11000AEd cos that's £2000 a month but I'm prepared to forego the 200 quid difference just to be in Korea and Asia. There are no split shifts, it's 2 til 10pm mon to fri with weekends off. The visa is much easier to get than a UAE work visa I think and cheaper.

If they're only going to give me 100-200k won more then they can do one. I might accept 2.8m won minimum. I'm not bothered about doing the job. I can handle the pressure I think. Just pay up properly that's all. How much do hagwons with a decent amount of students make per year? This one's supposed to have a number of teachers and students. I asked the recruiter if they're ok and he said they're stable. Is there a companies house website for Korean companies to look at their turnover?
Your best bet is to talk to the teachers who already work there to see what's up.  I do know that 2-10 are not teaching adult hours.  Another thing you need to keep in mind, it doesn't matter how much a hagwon makes, hagwon owners are extremely cheap when it comes to their teachers.  I wish you the best in your negotiations but even at 2.8 I don't think that's very realistic, I'd be really surprised if you managed to get 2.5. 

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »
Yeh I am a certified teacher and the salary in Taiwan includes the housing allowance of 5000 taiwan dollars per month. You get reimbursed for your flight in the 4th paycheck.
So the basic salary is 63000 and 5000 housing total 68000 for a bachelor's degree, certified teacher.

Now I just enquired about processing a visa for this UAE job which is paying £2000 a month for a 2 year contract. You have to notarise and apostille your degree cert and CELTA and then you have to legalise it at the UAE embassy. If you use a visa agency, the lowest is £78 to legalise it per document. SO all in all for two documents, it's going to cost 30(Notarise) + 30 (apostille) + 78 (legalise) times 2 which I make to be138 x 2= £276.

Then there's the cost of the flight which is coming up at £508 return at Xmas. All these costs are reimbursed on arrival in the UAE but the school won't pay for the flight upfront because they told me they've had teachers not turn up in the past and they've lost a lot of money.

it's cheaper to go to Korea as the visa costsjust over £100 I think and the flight is pre-paid. I've already apostilled the documents which cost about£120 altogether.

So I have to weigh up going to Korea or the UAE this week. I prefer Korea as I like Asia, The UAE is alright if you hire a car but there's not much to do except hang out with your colleagues at the villa after work. Apparently, I'll be teaching 3 classes a day in UAE but got to be there for 7 hours. Doesn't quite make sense to me 3 hours our of 7 but that's what I read in the contract anyway. :afro:

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 09:46:07 pm »

[/quote]  I wish you the best in your negotiations but even at 2.8 I don't think that's very realistic, I'd be really surprised if you managed to get 2.5. 
[/quote]2.5 is just £1472 per month which is about £500 less than what I'm offered in UAE. 2.5m won is a cheapskate salary for a head teacher. Look they're putting say 6 students in a class all paying what £20 each so they get £120 per class gross. They pay 2.5m won or £1472 per month divide that by 120 hours  month comes to just £12,20 per hour. That's too low for a head teacher per hour. It needs to be nearer £15 which would make is £1800 a month which is 3m won a month like I suggested i would be happy with. i can't see why £15 an hour isn't achievable.

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 10:11:18 pm »
what if I negotiate with them 2.5m won or 2.6m won then with permission to work somewhere on Saturdays or during the morning before I start work at 2. It states in the contract I am not allowed to work for another employer but I could ask them if they will allow it. then i can make 3m a month

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:29 pm »
Well, rotund chap, it depends upon YOU. If you are looking for money, EFL is not the right industry. You'd be better off getting a sales job back home or something that has more potential for long term growth. I like to make money as much as the next person, but it is not the most important thing to me. Never has and never will. You also have to look at a variety of factors. In Korea, you basically work a part-time job. Usually 30 hours or less as opposed to the 40+ hour grind back home. Also, many jobs in Korea are cupcakes..no stress and plenty of time to do things during the time that you are supposed to be "working." Also, as others have stated, our housing is provided(a HUGE advantage) and we get the year end bonus, flight reimbursement, yada, yada. In Korea, I've got tons of disposable income. I take good vacations every year, and bank a decent amount of money. Yeah, it would be nice if salaries were higher, but that's the way it goes. If you have student debt, well, then your experience will be quite different. But if you are debt free and not a profligate, then you'll have a nice, comfortable existence here. However, if you are obsessed with saving money and hoard every won, then your life will probably suck monkey sack here.
Remember..it is not how much you earn, it is how much you save.

• asiaman
  • Adventurer

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 12:37:09 am »
I wouldn't even be able to get a sales job with my CV. It's all English teacher, English teacher, music teacher, English teacher.....etc
When I send my CV off to other kinds of jobs, I don't even hear anything back from them at all. I've even applied for some music industry jobs and not heard or not enough experience. I'd have to rewrite my CV and references to be able to get a different job. Employers aren't interested in the fact you've been a teacher. It means nothing outside the teaching world.

Most teachers are on around 25 contact hours a week plus office hours. 30 is where it starts to get a bit busy. In Saudi, teachers do about 4 hours a day so it's quite relaxing there. I worked for Berlitz for a month and I was doing 31.5 hours a week due to rise to 36 hours contact but they quit me. 14 euro an hour they paid, that's all but with 36 hours, it's a tidy sum.

I'm a licensed teacher at home so I can apply for international schools and I've got an offer from one in the UAE but the salary isn't really a proper international school salary. 11000AED (£2000) a month. Should be £2500 or £3000 really to be a proper IS salary.  You can make a salesman's salary teaching if you get the right school but most of them offer you your salary depending on what payscale you're on back home or in your current job. That's how it works in International schools. I know one teacher in Angola IS and they pay aroun $60k US plus $12k overseas allowances and free accommodation and flights. That's how good an IS salary can be. And he has loads of holidays all paid too.

Anyway, I'd rather get less and work in Korea. I don't have debt, just £1000 old student loan that's been hanging around the last 10 years and about £1000 for other things so £2k altogether, not a lot.

• solveit
  • Super Waygook

• December 09, 2014, 03:52:02 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 12:50:24 am »
You can't compare a head teacher's job in a hagwon to a head teacher's job in a regular school. Plus, unless you're totally fluent in Korean, it's unlikely you'll be the real head teacher, it's more likely you'll be the head foreign teacher. Big difference. I'm the head foreign teacher at my hagwon, it came with a 200k pay raise, nowhere near the 700k you're hoping for, and I negotiated them up from 100k. I have fewer teaching hours, but a heck of a lot more work. Unless your hagwon has already offered 700k, I wouldn't bank on anywhere near that.