Read 3463 times

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Anyone know Seattle or Vancouver well?
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »
I'm looking to fly into Vancouver and fly back from Seattle over 2 weeks for summer vacation.  I haven't been into the city of Vancouver for years and have never been to Seattle.  Hoping to work our way down by ferry to Seattle via Vancouver Island.  Anyways, I'm from Toronto and I know a lot of good and reasonable tourist type of hotels back there, but wondering if anyone can offer some local tips about Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle in that regard.  Also, saw a cool looking Airbnb in Ballard. Anyone have any insight into that part of Seattle?  Any tips on the area in general or must-sees that slip under the guidebook radar would be welcome as well.  In fact any tips, I know little about the two cities but my gf wants to go and I know it's a beautiful part of the continet so I'm in.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone know Seattle or Vancouver well?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:58:44 pm »
Ballard is short bus or uber ride to the city center. Seattle could keep you entertained for a couple days. I would rent a car if u can. Mt. Rainier and Olympics a are beautiful this time of year.
Lots of live music in the city most nights. White River or Gorge Amphitheaters might have something you like on the weekend.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »
Ballard is one of the hipper places lately. Its not too far from the downtown area. Depending on if you want to do hiking or exploring around Seattle and the area, it would be pretty easy to spend a good amount of time there. There is a very touristy tour called Ride the Ducks which is an amphicar tour of Seattle and Lake Washington that starts at/near the Space Needle. Like Todd mentioned, there is tons of live music at small venues around the city, but White River and the Gorge are both a few hours away (Gorge is in Eastern Washington). If you want to know about a lot of different local restaurants there are losts of posts and lists. Green Lake is really nice, as is Bellingham... about 1.5 hour drive up North. Not far outside of Vancouver. I've never taken a ferry from Vancouver to Seattle though. There are lots of hidden little beach/park areas you could go to like Bhy Kracke Park or at the end of East Highland Drive. Also some breweries if thats your thing. There is a ton of stuff around.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:02:40 am »
In all honesty if you are just trying to check out Seattle you don't really need to rent a car. The bus system there is good and also you have a choice of Uber drivers. I recommend checking out Udistrict area its about a 20-30 min ride from the city center. Absolutely gorgeous campus and campus parkway road has a lot of diverse delicious restaurants. If you want to explore around Seattle then you will need a car. Also keep in mind that there is a city of Vancouver located in Washington State that is 20 min drive from Portland. So you don't end up booking there.

• antmar
  • Veteran

• January 13, 2016, 07:03:08 am
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 08:39:15 am »
Hey I am happy to answer this question. I just recently moved to Korea after living in the suburbs of Seattle for the past 18 years. Went to school in Seattle too (UW). Ballard is a cool neighborhood, it has it's own unique charm but it's also very family friendly too so you will see a lot of suburbs homes and what not. It's also relatively close to downtown Seattle. Also renting a car is not needed as you can get around with ease with public transportation. Granted it's not as good as say Korea's public transportation but with all the uber cars in the city it should be really easy and inexpensive to get around.

Here are some things I definitely recommend doing while you are in Seattle

1. Visit the University of Washington. It's located in an area of seattle called the U-district and it's filled with thousands of college students. The campus itself is absolutely beautiful. During the spring you can see the cherry blossoms light up in a bright pink. In the University of Washington, no visit is complete without visiting Suzallo Library. I promise it is worth your trip there. It looks like the cafeteria where Harry Potter and his friends would eat.

2. Molly Moon's Ice Cream. A well known ice cream place know for it's unique flavors as well as organic and health conscious individuals. Definitely a must while you're there.

3. Restaurants
    Beth's Cafe - Open 24hrs and have the best omeletes I've ever eaten, including one called the triple bypass because they make it with 12 eggs. It's kind of like a challenge. REALLY good diner food but more famous for it's breakfast food including sausage, hashbrowns, eggs and milkshakes. 
    Portage Bay Cafe. A favorite with the locals because their ingredients are sourced daily if not weekly from local farmers so the food is always fresh. There is one in the U district as well.
    Biscuit Bitch, although I never got to try it I HIGHLY recommend this place based off the reviews online and word of mouth from friends. As you may have guessed they are know for all their biscuit concoctions.
    [/list]

Sight Seeing:
    1. Kerry Park. It's a small park in an area of Seattle called Queen Anne which is a ritzy area of Seattle. But from the Park you can see ALL of downtown Seattle including the bay. It's breathtaking during the day and absolutely filled with such romance at night...partly because a lot of couples go during the night. Definitely a must when visiting Seattle.

2. Why not take a trip and visit one of the many Islands in the Puget sound. Take a fairy ride, maybe 30min to Bainbridge island and explore there. I hear it's beautiful.

3. Head over to Pike Place Market. It's well known in the Pacific Northwest. There you can find the famous Gum Wall where hundreds of thousands of people come down and stick their gum on the wall and it accumulates over the years. Maybe five minutes from there you can find the World's FIRST   :afro: original starbucks. They also have unique mugs and cups that you can only buy from there.

4. Space Needle, this is something I never did in my 18 years of living in Seattle BUT I would still recommend it. You can get a gorgeous view of the city at the top and the top is spinning maybe every 30min while you can choose one of the restaurants to eat at.

5.Hiking, if you're into hiking and curious about seeing some of the many majestic mountains in the Pacific Northwest, this is something I recommend. What's great about the PNW is that you can find a hike in as little as 30min. The hikes range from very easy to extreme but there's something for anyone. One hike that is well known and popular because it's a great view and easy is called RattleSnake Ridge. If you're looking for adventure I recommend Mailbox peak. Definitely a must for those seeking a bit of thrill, adventure and a good workout.

5. Capitol Hill, seattle's young hip and LGBT friendly neighborhood. Lots of clubs and dive bars to be found here. It's an area of Seattle filled with so many upcoming restaurants with high quality food. My favorite pizza joint is here too. It's called Hot Mama's pizza. Best Pesto Pizza of my life! :D

6. Amazon.com, it's located on the edge of downtown Seattle and it's worth checking it and you can say you went to Amazon.com's world headquarters.

7. Microsoft, although it's not officially in Seattle it's only 20min via car to the city Redmond where you can find the world headquarters. They even have guest friendly buildings in where you can go on tours. Very cool experience haha.

Last but not least Seattle is one of the most diverse cities in the country. We have people from all over the world coming to live in Seattle. A lot of it due to the talent acquired from the big companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Alibaba, Microsoft, Boeing, Sears and more companies that have set up large satellite offices there. It's a unique city and has a lot to offer.

P.S. Whenever you get a chance, check out the many taco trucks in the city. You can't go wrong. From 11am to 2pm, next to Amazon you can see as many as 25 food trucks set up next to the amazon world headquarters. :D  :afro:
    « Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:43:34 am by antmar »

• HaLo3
    • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
    « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:52:47 am »
    To echo antmar, Molly Moon's is great. There are lots of islands further up north too, which I imagine you will pass if you ferry from Vancouver to Seattle. The San Juan's are beautiful. Whidbey island is closer, but still outside of Seattle. You can connect from Mukilteo. There are two forts on Whidbey though that are state parks and pretty cool, Casey and Ebey. As for Space Needle, there is also Smith Tower that has an observatory where you can get a view of the city. I think less crowded, so it depends which experience you want.

I've never been to Biscuit Bitch, but now I'm determined to find it next time I head home.

• OnNut81
    • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
    « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:34:34 am »
    That's all great.  Thanks.  Still looking for a hotel if anyone knows.  Just tourist class and doesn't have to be right in the heart of the city.  After two years without leaving Korea the thought of just being in a regular North American neighbourhood holds a lot of appeal. Local restaurants and bars would be plenty.  I don't need the trendiest locales. I don't plan on renting a car, but I know there's got to be some good outlet shopping somewhere in Washington state with Canada so close.

• HaLo3
    • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
    « Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 12:24:12 pm »
    That's all great.  Thanks.  Still looking for a hotel if anyone knows.  Just tourist class and doesn't have to be right in the heart of the city.  After two years without leaving Korea the thought of just being in a regular North American neighbourhood holds a lot of appeal. Local restaurants and bars would be plenty.  I don't need the trendiest locales. I don't plan on renting a car, but I know there's got to be some good outlet shopping somewhere in Washington state with Canada so close.
    I honestly have no ideas as to hotels there since I've never needed one. I've always either lived close enough or stayed with family that lived inside city limits. As for outlets, there is the Seattle Premium Outlets, but don't be tricked. It's actually in Marysville, maybe... 40 minutes drive by freeway away. Its a really nice outlet, but if you don't have a car and plan on doing a lot of shopping, I'm not quite sure how you'll manage.

• poopfeast420
    • Waygookin

• September 01, 2015, 02:25:40 pm
      • Ulsan
      more
    « Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »
    Im from victoria. If you get a chance hike up mt. douglas for a good view of the city. Check out willows beach and cadboro bay near the university of Victoria. If you have a car get out to Sooke and go to French or China beach. Also cant miss the essentials like the Inner harbor, Empress, and Dallas road. Walk down to the boats and look for the "pickle pub crawl" You will go to a few bars around the downtown core on a little sea taxi for a reasonable price.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:39:59 am »
    I guess you've already been to Vancouver and liked it. When I went I found it to be interesting and pretty but nowhere as pretty or as interesting as San Francisco. It's kinda like what San Francisco is supposed to be--laid back and peaced out--but SF is so crowded and busy that it isn't like that at all. I'm sure SF has been ruined by tech money though, and it sounds like Vancouver is being slowly ruined by corrupt Chinese money.
    Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
        Trump is a liar and a con man.
    Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
    Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• OnNut81
    • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
    « Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
    Interestingly enough, I am now moving the Seattle/Vancouver trip back to next summer and going to SF and the bay area this summer.  Now, I'm more concerned with not being pickpocketed or having my phone snatched while riding the cable car. 

• gogators!
    • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
      • Seoul
    « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:31:32 pm »
    I stayed with this couple in Seattle and can highly recommend them: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/49123244
    Location is good, not far from a bus stop and easy to drive to.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:53:19 am »
    If you don't mind a hostel, the Green Tortoise Hostel is relatively cheap, and it is right beside Pike Place Market. I stayed there last summer, and it was pretty nice.

I also recommend:

Golden Gardens. Its a nice beach. From there, check out the Locks to see the water rise and fall letting boats in.

Lake Washington is beautiful, but maybe far out.

Wallingford. See the troll under the bridge.

Archy McPhee's. Buy some weird crap at this gag gift store. While over that way, the Blue Star restaurant is tasty and right next door.

Eat at Piroshkie Piroshkie at Pike Place Market. Do it. Just, do it. And FedEx me some please.

From downtown, go to the International district and get some Bahn Mi and Bubble Tea. You could take it back down to the sound and have a picnic.

I agree with Ballard. It's nice. The Burke Gilman Trail is real cool too.

Capitol Hill is also a cool neighborhood.

If you take the metro, keep your ticket. It has a time stamp so you can have free transfers for X amount of hours.

Rattlesnake Ridge is an absolutely gorgeous hike. I'm not sure if its easy to get to without a car though.

Hoh Forest is apparently absolutely magical. But its a far drive.

Too bad you don't have more time. Forks, Washington (Yes, where they filmed Twilight) is amazing and I highly recommend camping on the beach there.

• Heidi91
    • Explorer

• November 16, 2017, 11:23:09 pm
      • Ulsan
    « Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 11:47:37 pm »
    I'd avoid both. Too many liberals there, they'll probably beg for you to pay their tuition and healthcare for their pot addiction.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 11:48:57 am »
    I was in Seattle in 99 and apparently it's changed a lot. Back then the grunge stereotypes seemed pretty true. Literally remember a dude in a flannel playing Pearl Jam songs on the street. Tons of teenage runaways and street beggars, big heroin problems, a huge rave scene full of weirdos, and a massive homeless population.

• OnNut81
    • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
    « Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:04 pm »
    When I ended up going To San Francisco instead of Seattle/Vancouver I was talking to a guy in a bar who was from Seattle.  I mentioned that that is where we were originally looking to guy and he said street crime was getting really bad up there due to the opioid issues.  And this was just next door to the Tenderloin with homeless drinker/druggies every few steps.  If he was saying Seattle was worse it definitely gives me pause.

• grey
    • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
      • USA
      more
    « Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
    I'd avoid both. Too many liberals there, they'll probably beg for you to pay their tuition and healthcare for their pot addiction.

This new troll is complete garbage.
    Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
    -AP

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »

It's true. The old trolls, however, are doing just fine! Good work all!

PS bring back sonny  :afro:

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:58:08 pm »

Another great contribution to a thread by Grey.  :rolleyes:

Vancoover in winter is wonderful.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 07:32:05 am »
    Seattle is a dreary dystopian garbage dump of depression, homelessness/beggars, drugs, traffic hell, harassing police, and authoritarian "liberals."

It's gotten really bad.