Read 3983 times

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

• February 29, 2016, 06:47:07 am
Pros and cons of Taiwan
« on: June 13, 2016, 03:07:49 pm »
I was thinking of teaching in Taiwan after one more year teaching in Korea.

I heard that the people there are generally friendlier to foreigners and that English is taken more seriously over there (for example students can fail English and would have to repeat if they don't study).

Re: Pros and cons of Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
Can't comment on the teaching aspect, but the people in general are very friendly and nice and helpful too.  At least to a tourist - which we were at the time.  I really liked the country.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »
I've a friend who moved from here to there. Apparently it's much better teaching-wise.
Hagwon-wise it's like here though, it depends on the hagwon.

I visited the country and I have to say I loved it. I'd go there in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »
I taugh there for a while. Left because I preferred korea.

Pros:

People are friendlier.
Taiwanese females are big into western guys.
Public behaviour less irritating.
Learning Chinese is useful.

Cons:

Schools have their employees in shared accom.
Buxibans (Taiwanese hogwons) are 10X worse than the worst Korean hogwons
Buxibans have classes of 20-30 kids
No discipline is allowed, kids can run riot if they want
Taiwan weather sucks. The humidity, air quality and never ending monsoon is terrible
The pressure to get a scooter and thus involve in the ridiculously crazy traffic

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:00:33 pm by Kliuchevskoi »
Creating shared values

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:26 am »
I taugh there for a while. Left because I preferred korea.

Pros:

People are friendlier.
Taiwanese females are big into western guys.
Public behaviour less irritating.
Learning Chinese is useful.

Cons:

Schools have their employees in shared accom.
Buxibans (Taiwanese hogwons) are 10X worse than the worst Korean hogwons
Buxibans have classes of 20-30 kids
No discipline is allowed, kids can run riot if they want
Taiwan weather sucks. The humidity, air quality and never ending monsoon is terrible
The pressure to get a scooter and thus involve in the ridiculously crazy traffic

What about the public schools?

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:59:41 am »
I'm really interested if anyone has info on the public schools.  I've given serious thought to working in Taiwan and would appreciate any info!

• Brennand
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 08:31:26 pm
    • Gyeongnam, Hadong-gun, Hwagae-myeon
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:23 am »
I was looking into teaching in public schools in Taiwan.  I got discouraged pretty quickly as there aren't any government sanctioned recruitment programs like EPIK.  From what I could gather, you really need to have an Education degree (a teaching licence from your home country) in order to get a job in public schools.  That being said, when travelling as a tourist in Taiwan, my hosts were really insisting that I work for the big local middle school/high school as they were always desperate to find good native teachers.  This was not a public school, but rather a school owned by the baptist church.

TLDR; It might be tougher to find a public school job in Taiwan than in Korea and the pay could be less.  But if you are in the country and don't mind working in rural areas you might be surprised by what you can find.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:17 am »

You think Taiwan in general rains a lot, visit Yilan County. You can be riding the train down the east coast and the toirrential rain will literally begin once you pull into the station and the sun will pop out again at the next stop.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:41:24 am »
Anyone know if there are also English camps and lots of deskwarming? Also, do they have more than 18 days of vacation?

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 01:58:16 pm »
*bump*

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 03:17:28 pm »
just saw this pop up on the group i started

http://www.orseek.com/sub_index.asp?action=16&id=1190

here's the facebook link to my group. i taught in Taiwan for 4 years, been in Korea for 3 now. but i'm still semi managing this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105937059474370/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »
pros

1. hospitable, warm, open people
2. food
3. cheap, large apartments. no key money - 2 month deposit, maybe 3 for high roller condos.
4. big expat community, food festivals, carnival-like book exchanges with food and music, all weekend music festivals, etc
5. easy to get "party favors" of all kinds. ups, downs, psychs...you know what i'm talkin about.
6. dirt cheap. it's almost Thailand prices but you're living in almost 1st world conditions.
7. safe

cons

1. overall less savings than korea. too lazy to itemize the reasons. i'm saving almost double what i was saving there, even with the cost of living adjusted.
2. traffic accidents. unless you live in Taipei, you will need to buy a scooter. you will get into at least one accident. i've had 2. only went to ER once, which was lucky. many of my friends weren't so lucky. i still have about 100 people on my facebook feed currently in Taiwan, and i estimate around one incident per month out of that pool, and every 6 months someone gets hospitalized. korea is traffic heaven, i've been so happy the last 3 years here.

3. bad working culture. hard to explain, but let's just say everything is a mess. if Taiwanese people knew how to run things correctly, maybe they would still be a real country that's accepted by the UN. you're gonna be trading the overly-fake-politeness and can't-point-out-logic-to-superiors of Korea for the Uber-face-saving, double-speaking, constant-gray-zone-as-to-avoid-consequences-of-taking-a-position, culture of Taiwanese/Chinese people. it is frustrating at first, but soon you will learn how to maneuver in such a way that while nothing gets done, you've covered your ass. just nod and compliment all new ideas, knowing that most will crash and burn. do enough work to look busy, but not so much that when it gets scraped, you felt like your hard work was wasted. this is a PRO-TIP.

4. weather sucks. i still have nightmares about the humid oven that is Taiwan 9 months out of the year, and the damp, constant cold pain 1 month out of the year. buildings in Taiwan are not made to keep warm in the winters, nor does it keep cool in summer. be prepared to spend a lot of money on aircon. there are no heaters in any homes, so you could buy a heat fan. or like me, just drink a lot of alcohol. in fact, that helps deal with work BS so it's a double win.