Read 2772 times

• sinhead
  • Adventurer

• February 03, 2016, 04:15:45 pm
    • Australia
One-on-one tutoring with the Vice Principal
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
So I've been at my school for about a week, and my coteacher told me today that our Vice Principal was hoping for some short, one-on-one English tutoring with me. Apparently he's travelling overseas this year, which he's avoided doing in the past because he's not confident with his English skills. He basically wants a crash course in travel related language e.g. airports, hotels, directions, checking in, etc.

I don't think they've had a NET here before, and she said it would be very brief. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about this with the VP? I'm new to teaching entirely, let alone adult beginners who are also my superiors. Any help / suggestions / resources would be appreciated!

Re: One-on-one tutoring with the Vice Principal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:57:35 pm »
You could just do lots and lots of role plays.    Give example questions and answers and reinforce the idea that sometimes a simple noun and verb combination will get you what you want.

• ryncarr
  • Explorer

• June 29, 2015, 07:53:17 am
    • Hadan
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:45:33 pm »
I feel for you.

There are books available for this type of stuff. Search 'English for specific purposes.'

Start of with numbers, then prices, questions. Then directions. Then food.

You could use the grade 5 and 6 books (chapters on these topics) as a guide then add your own material.

Goodluck

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »
Boggles world has everything you are looking for in role plays. Here is the link.

http://bogglesworldesl.com/survivalESL.htm

• sinhead
  • Adventurer

• February 03, 2016, 04:15:45 pm
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 07:23:59 am »
Awesome, thanks guys. Those role plays from Boggles World are great!

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:58:20 am »
One of the biggest things they lack is confidence. Part of that problem is Koreans pronunciation. I would have conversations based on likely scenarios of travel, and not which sounds he can't say well. Then give him sentences to practice those sounds.

Most Koreans have big trouble with 'th' as in "mother". When it's with an 's' it's worse, like "southern".

They commonly have other troubles, like
L/R
CH
J
ZH (pleasure, vision)
SH
A/E (bad, bed, sad, said)
ee, i (heat, hit, seat, sit, meet, mitt)

etc.

See the list of sounds here (charts on this page): https://k-3teacherresources.com/discussion/topic/phonological-awareness/

• hoolzroolz
  • Waygookin

• March 04, 2015, 02:27:07 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:40:58 pm »
www.linguahouse.com is another resource that has specific lesson plans related to the English your VP will need on his travels. A lot of content you need a paid subscription to access but there is also a lot of free materials that I've used with adult learners to learn specific language so just have a browse through their lesson plans.

http://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/esl-course-plans/general-english-course-plans/english-for-life/ is probably a more specific subsection that will help.

Role plays have already been suggested and that is definitely the best way to teach such language, so just go through some vocab with the VP or maybe ask your CT to translate some key expressions for you so the VP knows what they mean if your Korean isn't high level. Practice the pronunciation and then run through the role play / simulation. Also probably useful to think of the things you take with you when you travel and teach that to the VP too. Things like "suitcase" or "luggage" would be super helpful in case it gets lost!

I hope this helps! Good luck Teacherrrrrrrrrr^^

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:48:25 pm »
One of the biggest things they lack is confidence. Part of that problem is Koreans pronunciation. I would have conversations based on likely scenarios of travel, and not which sounds he can't say well. Then give him sentences to practice those sounds.

Most Koreans have big trouble with 'th' as in "mother". When it's with an 's' it's worse, like "southern".

They commonly have other troubles, like
L/R
CH
J
ZH (pleasure, vision)
SH
A/E (bad, bed, sad, said)
ee, i (heat, hit, seat, sit, meet, mitt)

etc.

If doing this with adults, I'd strongly recommend looking at this video series by the guy who quite literally made the chart. Whilst he doesn't cover all of the peculiarities of Korean, the strategies provided in sneaking up on difficult sounds and leading students to "discover" minimal pair distinctions are brilliant.

A quick and dirty trick with 'th' if they're really struggling, and you are welcome to slam me for this, is to teach 'th' as /f/ and /v/. Its common in native speakers, particularly from the UK, and much easier to understand because its not a convergence largely limited to second language speakers, like 'th' becoming /s/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:53:43 pm by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!