Read 8409 times

• clairemaree
  • Adventurer

• September 21, 2010, 03:38:22 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
Transferring Money Home KB BANK
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:01 pm »
I have gone to the bank twice to transfer money to my home (US) account.  The charge is around 35,000 but they explained to me (in broken English) that now that I have done it once with a branch worker, I am able to transfer my money using the ATM for a smaller fee.  Has anyone had success with this?  I tried to do it the other day and saw the transfer option but only to a Korean account (as we do for gas bills). 

• bmsteacher
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2010, 07:16:33 am
    • Kyeonggi-do, ROK
Re: Transferring Money Home KB BANK
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »
I have it set up so that I can transfer home at the ATM (KB Bank); however, it took some time for the bank teller to set up the process (limits need to be set and account information verified, etc.).  If yours was set up properly, you should see "Overseas Remittance" in the menu choices at the ATM screen (in English, too, in the newer machines).  If you don't, then you need to have a bank teller make sure that you are set up properly.  Good luck.

• clairemaree
  • Adventurer

• Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:11 pm »
I have it set up so that I can transfer home at the ATM (KB Bank); however, it took some time for the bank teller to set up the process (limits need to be set and account information verified, etc.).  If yours was set up properly, you should see "Overseas Remittance" in the menu choices at the ATM screen (in English, too, in the newer machines).  If you don't, then you need to have a bank teller make sure that you are set up properly.  Good luck.

I do remember seeing that!! Thanks!! I will try again :)  do you know what the charge was transferring through the ATM?

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• October 03, 2010, 04:07:38 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:08 pm »
KB charges you 5,000 won for overseas remittance.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:45:08 pm »
I was wondering about the "Overseas Remittance" myself. You said the charge was 5,000 won and I think it's $35 for my US-Bank to accept incoming ones. Do I just need the bank information of my US-Bank? Or is there more information needed? I have yet to try it and figured I would ask someone who has.

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• Incheon
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:32 pm »
Yes, you just need your U.S. bank information.  But, a KB teller has to set it up for you.  If your U.S. bank is actually usbank, the charge is only $25 per transfer.

• notinKS
  • Super Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 02:59:38 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:48 pm »
Once you've signed up to use the ATM, you don't need anything at all. They have all of the information stored on the account. Tap Overseas Remittance, then I think it's Latest Overseas Remittance and then it will show you all of the transfers that you've made, even ones that you've done with the bank worker.

• clairemaree
  • Adventurer

• Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:49:09 pm »
My bank in the states only charges 10 US dollars!  You should transfer to a different account.

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• Incheon
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:53:14 pm »
My bank in the states only charges 10 US dollars!  You should transfer to a different account.

What bank do you use?

• story123
  • Waygookin

• April 08, 2011, 02:44:41 pm
    • JINCHUN
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 02:59:05 pm »
Anybody knows how to set up the pay pal account?

If you know, please let me know.

I will like to transfer money to US.

ps. Is there maximum amount to transfer?

• clairemaree
  • Adventurer

• Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »

What bank do you use?

I have Wells Fargo.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »
I use CHASE, but I do not know how much it costs right now. I will have to look into that.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 03:37:03 pm »
I have gone to the bank twice to transfer money to my home (US) account.  The charge is around 35,000 but they explained to me (in broken English) that now that I have done it once with a branch worker, I am able to transfer my money using the ATM for a smaller fee.  Has anyone had success with this?  I tried to do it the other day and saw the transfer option but only to a Korean account (as we do for gas bills).

Hello there. Man I had such issues with KB not to mention not being able to use the card overseas. I did the best thing ever and opened an account with KEB. (It's called an Expat savings account.) I had internet banking set up with both banks, so my salary comes into my KB and I transfer half of it into my KEB account. Then I try not to touch it as it acts like savings. On the occasions I do need to send money home I can do it via internet banking from KEB. I find KB branch staff never speak English but the KEB guys at least try or are actually very proficient. KEB is by far the better bank for foreigners. Got my Samsung Credit card linked up to KB so won't close it on account of the hassle of getting Samsung involved.  But yeah, get a KEB situation going on in your life. Good luck!

• HadongEup
  • Adventurer

• February 15, 2011, 09:54:00 am
    • Hadong
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »
Hi there!

I know quite a few people who use KB to wire money home, but I personally use KEB. I used to go to the teller and it would cost me 23,000+ but if you open an account and set youself up online for wire transfers (bring your foreign acct info when you open the acct), you can tsf for as low as 8,000. (I'm assuming if you tsf large amts it might be more expensive. I've only done a little at a time). And I certainly wish I had known about this last year - spent a full year wiring at the teller. That definitely adds up by the end!

I wont lie, it was a little frustrating at first - the online banking here is way different cause you need to get a "digital certificate". But if you have help from a Korean, you should be fine. KEB has great English service as well. No complaints!

Good luck! :)