Read 6719 times

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Who is scared to fly?
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:38:38 am »
Summer vacation is coming up....not sure where I want to go.  I think I should go somewhere closer by.  I thought about going to South Africa but my SA friends are telling me to save that for winter vacation since the weather will be better.  Anywho, I have been watching the news coverage of the missing flight EgyptAir and was wondering is anyone scared to fly now.  Geeze.  It's just terrible how that happens.  Now people are suspecting it might be mechanical failure in the back of the plane than terrorism.  Still to early to tell.  I feel so bad for the country of Egypt.  I went there in last year and I had a wonderful time.  Great memories.  I loved it so much I even thought about the idea of teaching over there.  However, I doubt I would get paid as much as here in Korea.  And plus I was only there for 10 days, I bet living there is different than being on vacation.  What do you do to calm down on a plane if you are scared?  Are there any good sleeping pills that work.  I tried an over the counter sleeping pill from the local pharmacies here and if anything I was able to shut my eyes for 10 mins  :-[ >:( >:(   I feel I need to get some prescription strength stuff.

I realize being scared to fly is a ridiculous thing of so please spare me the "go bury yourself, your life sucks" replies.  The wonderful overseers of this board do an awesome job of managing such nonsense.   ;D :azn: :laugh: :laugh:  Thank you  :cheesy:

Re: Who is scared to fly?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:56:01 am »
Summer vacation is coming up....not sure where I want to go.  I think I should go somewhere closer by.  I thought about going to South Africa but my SA friends are telling me to save that for winter vacation since the weather will be better.  Anywho, I have been watching the news coverage of the missing flight EgyptAir and was wondering is anyone scared to fly now.  Geeze.  It's just terrible how that happens.  Now people are suspecting it might be mechanical failure in the back of the plane than terrorism.  Still to early to tell.  I feel so bad for the country of Egypt.  I went there in last year and I had a wonderful time.  Great memories.  I loved it so much I even thought about the idea of teaching over there.  However, I doubt I would get paid as much as here in Korea.  And plus I was only there for 10 days, I bet living there is different than being on vacation.  What do you do to calm down on a plane if you are scared?  Are there any good sleeping pills that work.  I tried an over the counter sleeping pill from the local pharmacies here and if anything I was able to shut my eyes for 10 mins  :-[ >:( >:(   I feel I need to get some prescription strength stuff.

I realize being scared to fly is a ridiculous thing of so please spare me the "go bury yourself, your life sucks" replies.  The wonderful overseers of this board do an awesome job of managing such nonsense.   ;D :azn: :laugh: :laugh:  Thank you  :cheesy:

164 lives lost in 141 days so far, so on course to be a relatively safe year for flying.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:03:11 am »
I'm terrified of flying. Any amount of turbulence and my stomach is in my neck, I think I'm going to die right then in that moment. It's horrible, because I fly quite frequently. The longer flights are not as scary because you get high and coast without turbulence. But I was on a flight to NYC from Florida one time, turbulence the entire way there, VIOLENT stuff, people grabbing onto the seats in front of them. But there was no announcement from the captain, I kept waiting for him to say it was normal. Or maybe I was waiting for him to say we were going down. I know turbulence is normal... but for me it's like the end of the world

Amen to that.  I wish there was a sleeping pill that would knock me out for the whole flight.  I hate being awake through the turbulence and sudden falls the plane does when it flies over mountains.  I mean I want to be so passed out that if the plane was going down I don't want to be aware for that.   I know the next best thing to a sleeping pill is roofies LOL Not sure I want to do that to myself.  Does anyone have any suggestions that aren't illegal LOL 

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:48 am »
I'm more afraid that I'll snap during a fit of travel rage and tick off a rude TSA agent, and therefore be put on a No Fly list. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 09:16:51 am by denimdaze »

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 09:22:27 am »
I'm more afraid that I'll snap during a fit of travel rage and tick off a rude TSA agent, and therefore be put on a No Fly list.

LOL true.  I've always wanted to drink enough alcohol on a plane to pass out but then what if I don't pass out and I end up being a crazy drunk on a plane  :laugh: ;D

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:23:20 am »
Are there any good sleeping pills that work.  I tried an over the counter sleeping pill from the local pharmacies here and if anything I was able to shut my eyes for 10 mins  :-[ >:( >:(   I feel I need to get some prescription strength stuff.

A decent Benzo dose (Lorazepam maybe) will help a lot. Many doctors wont give that out, but if you explain it's a 1 or 2 time dose for flying I think it would be OK. Reduces anxiety and will put you to sleep if it's a large enough dosage. Can be addictive so limit yourself to one or two doses only.

You are far, far, far more likely to die going anywhere near the roads in Korea than on a plane.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:29:22 am »
Are there any good sleeping pills that work.  I tried an over the counter sleeping pill from the local pharmacies here and if anything I was able to shut my eyes for 10 mins  :-[ >:( >:(   I feel I need to get some prescription strength stuff.

A decent Benzo dose (Lorazepam maybe) will help a lot. Many doctors wont give that out, but if you explain it's a 1 or 2 time dose for flying I think it would be OK. Reduces anxiety and will put you to sleep if it's a large enough dosage. Can be addictive so limit yourself to one or two doses only.

You are far, far, far more likely to die going anywhere near the roads in Korea than on a plane.

Agreed. You have more chance of dying on the roads of Korea than being in a plane crash. Besides, if you don't fly, you don't get to go anywhere. That's just the way it is. I'd love to do ship travel, but that option is extremely limited and consumes too much time.  Your fate is already determined. What happens will happen. If you are meant to go in a plane crash, that is what your fate is and nothing you can do will change it. Don't live your life in fear.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:42:46 am »
Dying in a plane crash is a million times scarier than dying in a car crash.. at least in my opinion

Seriously falling out of the sky at 37,000 at least with a car accident it is so sudden and unexpected at the fear and pain probably last for one minute at most.  Falling out of the sky that is 5 minutes or more of that nightmare.  And the what your family goes though thinking about your last moments.  That's like torture. 

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:56 am »
If you are scared of flying try picking flights that use the Boeing 777, and avoid things like the airbus a330 and a320.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:00:40 am »
Dying in a plane crash is a million times scarier than dying in a car crash.. at least in my opinion

Seriously falling out of the sky at 37,000 at least with a car accident it is so sudden and unexpected at the fear and pain probably last for one minute at most.  Falling out of the sky that is 5 minutes or more of that nightmare.  And the what your family goes though thinking about your last moments.  That's like torture.

You'd not be alive for 5 minutes if you fell (not quite sure how you'd manage that) from an airplane. You'd be dead in seconds when you can't breathe well before you get any where near the ground.

• z80
  • Expert Waygook

• August 24, 2014, 07:34:50 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:29 am »
That may not be the case.... Even though this dude was riding out side the plane at only 17000 feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:26 am »
My tips if you are scared of flying:

* Research the safest airlines.  The website at the bottom of this post may help.  I have a few friends who will always select the cheapest flights available.  I don't do that.

* Go for direct flights if possible (fewer take-offs and landings).  Sometimes these are also the cheapest.

* Take a daytime flight.  (Not always possible if changing timezones, but sometimes it is).

http://www.airlineratings.com/

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:59 am »
I dunno, I guess make peace with yourself and get on the flight expecting the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when you get there safe and sound? I don't really know what to say.

• Zaiterade
  • Super Waygook

• September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 am
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
I'm not crazy about flying, but if you look at the statistics of how many flights occur successfully each day compared to how many per year on average end up crashing and burning, flying is the safest method of travel, as far as I know. Yes, having your plane crash is a terrible, nightmare scenario, but your chances of being in a deadly car crash are much, much higher (still overall low though).

Flying is just one of those things where IF something bad happens....that's it.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:45 am »
I drink a lot of red wine on the plane and it more-or-less knocks me out for the duration. Would recommend.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 11:25:25 am »
If you are scared of flying try picking flights that use the Boeing 777, and avoid things like the airbus a330 and a320.
Why?

Hull loss fatalities between them are basically equal. Like 0.05 difference.

Trying to avoid airbus would limit your travelling ability.

EDIT:  http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm

.02 fatalities per million difference. Regardless, the vast majority of crashes are the result of pilot error, so you'd be better off looking at airline training protocols and records. A mug pilot is going to be mug pilot whether they are in an Airbus or a Boeing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:29:37 am by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:31:40 am »
Go to your regular doctor in Korea. Ask for some sleeping pills. Take sleeping pills and drink one jack and coke. Pass out. Wake up 4 hours later. Feel groggy. Watch movies. Land.

Edit to add: I did that on my last flight. Blacked out and found a bunch of goofy pictures on my phone. Luckily I didn't go into a rage.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 11:36:47 am »
I dunno, I guess make peace with yourself and get on the flight expecting the worst and then be pleasantly surprised when you get there safe and sound? I don't really know what to say.

I do this almost everytime I get on a plane. Dramamine is usually good for putting people to sleep on planes. Works for me anyway. Take it as you board the plane. Should knock you out for a good 6 hours at least.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 11:57:11 am »
I hate turbulence, but statistically you are very, very safe if you have your seat belt on. The chances of a plane being brought down by turbulence are extremely small. Most plane crashes happen during landing and take off.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 12:01:07 pm »

You'd not be alive for 5 minutes if you fell (not quite sure how you'd manage that) from an airplane. You'd be dead in seconds when you can't breathe well before you get any where near the ground.

I was thinking more about the time it takes from the point your realize the plane is going down to the time it take to hit the water/ground.  When in the cockpit voice recordings of the recent Germanwings crash, it was reported that there was screaming in the background as everyone on board the plane was realizing what was happening.  At best it was document that the terror lasted for well over 4 minutes.  Even the panic that the French pilots felt when they realized they were going through a "stall" was about 15 minutes as the main captain tried to correct the mistake that the co-pilot did.   Dying in a plane crash for me is like being held captive by IS in a beheading video.  You know it's coming and you are going to suffer through it.  At least if I fly through a windshield or get ran over by a car that is quick and painless and never saw it coming.