Read 9155 times

Re: Why are wages so low in Korea?
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
Well, as I said, you search out the ASAP offers where they are desperate and you become like "the Donald" and get your hunk of flesh out of them cause you got them by the balls.  Go high and neogitate down a bit.  But, if you're experienced and you're good, you shouldn't be accepting 2.1 or 2.2. 

They are paying a one way flight, so that's an extra 100,000 added to your salary, then an extra 100,000 for every eyar of experience.  Go 2.6 or 2.7 for a 30 hour week and let yoursel be negotiated down to 2.5 or 2.4 (with some lesser experience).  If it's 10 hourdays, ask for 3.0 and let yourself be negotiated down a bit.  If the recruiter's a d!c and won't forward, pretend to like their lowball offer and speak to the employer directly and have him forward your info.  Then, when speaking to the employer, tell him this is what you want.  Bypass the recruiter scum.  Also, when the contract is sent, re-edit it and send it back with wage and work conditions revisions.  (No verbal promises - if something will probably or probably not happen, then there ought to be no problem putting it into the contract.)

At ay rate, I'm not endorsing this recruiter, but am showing this as an example of some jobs already offering to go up to 2.5 for your standard 30 hours a week.

http://www.istartkorea.com/src/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sub0702&wr_id=24

(I have no clue if these jobs or this recruiter is any good.)  Also, you can scour Daves, Waygook, and others.  Some jobs do offer more.  Of course some are lowballing.  During the peak of the Great Recession, you really had to take the bottom feeding offers.  Things are better now that time, even if they aren't as good as pre recession Korea.  Still, there's no reason why you have to take that now, if you are experienced and good with kids.  You may have to have some jobs decline you and you may have to turn some down and be patient, but you will get a job with better pay and conditions.  You only have your self to blame if you are taking 2.1 after being here for years. 

• wonkavite
  • Adventurer

• October 30, 2015, 05:42:40 pm
    • U.K.
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2016, 03:24:33 pm »
  I don't know the answer, but I guess that since South Korea has some trends in common with Japan, some of the same mistakes are being made here too. But I don't know.

• wonkavite
  • Adventurer

• October 30, 2015, 05:42:40 pm
    • U.K.
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »
  Actually, I read recently that salaries for Korean people have been pretty stagnant as well. It could be that they are following the wrong economic model.