Read 1549 times

E-2 Health Check with Depression
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »
Hey There,

I'm in the process of getting my documents ready for teaching in South Korea.
I have been on medication for depression for about 4 years now, I'm stable and it's not a big deal in my life, just something I have to take every morning a long with my other vitamins.
The only time I remember being depressed was 4 years ago before I was taking them...

I was wondering if I should go off them for the month before my flight to be able to get in to South Korea, does it show up in the Medical exam or the screening?
Ideally I would like to stay on them.

Has anyone gone there with anti-depressants in their system?

I'm really excited to get there and I have done loads of research so, I'm not really worried that my depression will affect me when I'm there. I love change and adapt really well. So I'm not really anxious about moving.

It's basically just the exam I'm worried about.
I'm on a really low dose of 10mg Escitalopram.

Sorry if this has already been answered a million times, I really just want the most updated answer :) Thank you

• eslgeek
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2012, 02:38:07 pm
    • South Korea
Re: E-2 Health Check with Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:53 am »

I have straight up told them during the medical exam what anti-depressants I'm on and it has never been an issue! At the time I was on a much higher dose than you and no one asked any questions or worried about it. From what I know this has been true for other people as well so don't worry about it too much  :smiley:

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 08:35:11 am »
I wouldn't have  thought they would do a test for antidepressant drugs. They probably do tests to see you haven;t got any major diseases, that's all. I'd tell them you;re on a very low dose of antidepressant if they ask. If they don;t then no need to tell them. I'm not in Korea but trying to get a job there. you should be ok I think.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:38 am »
They only test for illegal substances. Should be alright. If you feel like you'd feel better letting them know you're on xyz drug then tell em, otherwise keep it stump.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:51:25 am by AgentMichaelScarn »

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 11:46:23 am »
I've been on them for a while! I didn't even tell them I was on them and they didn't ask. When I got my medical check back under "mental health" it didn't even say anything, just said "normal". I think you will be okay! ;D

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:52:28 pm »
I think you'll be fine just keeping quiet and not mentioning it on the form.

However, if down the line they ever do find out, Escitalopram is also prescribed for migraine so your secret isn't necessarily out even then.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:54 pm »
Thank you everyone for the help! :) Feeling relieved...

• basi
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2015, 11:52:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:12:16 am »