Read 2817 times

• Sel
  • Explorer

• December 21, 2014, 02:38:43 am
What are some hagwons that teach you how to teach
« on: May 13, 2016, 09:12:46 pm »
instead of sending you to a class with class material.

Re: What are some hagwons that teach you how to teach
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:39:26 pm »
What are some hagwons that teach you how to teach?

What are they?   Non-existant as far as I know.

Perhaps there are some, but I know of none.

Some will give you some directives on how to follow their "program", but as for teaching
you how to teach *~*   

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:52:42 pm »
I'm nearing the end of a brutal teacher training programme in the UK, the core of which is the set of eight teaching standards mandated by the government. I'm assessed continually once a week and expected to reflect and act on feedback, as well as turn in academic essays and a presentation. No multiple choice exams in sight. The end result (hopefully) is a profoundly engaged, professional and flexible teacher.

It's an avalanche of information. No hagwon will be able to teach you that because if nothing else, teaching is a practical art requiring practical feedback. You ain't gonna learn it in any classroom but your own.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 11:31:17 am »
Oh, man. You're green as grass. My first school in Korea just gave me one of those shitty Let's Go books and that was it. I had zero teaching experience and got off the plane a few hours earlier. The thing that you will learn is that it is not so much about teaching here, but rather entertaining. That determines your level of success here. Just remember, it's all just a game.

• Chester Jim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2015, 02:17:12 pm
    • Arkansas
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:41:00 pm »
I wouldn't want them to train me without pay.
Koreans have never taught Korean to students using only Korean.  They have no idea how to do it.  If you listen to one of their classes it's 97 percent Korean.  They don't even use classroom English consistently.
Many places will try to get you to do non paid training.   That would be ridiculous for anyone who has taught before, because you are only learning about schedules and getting used to materials.
Bonzai!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:11:22 pm »
From my experience NO HAGWON teaches you to teach they just expect you to "know how" and go with the flow and come up with the lessons. Sure these more "reputable" hagwons may have a curriculum but the curriculum is crap anyways. It's so advance for these ESL students it's outrageous, a very bad way for kids to learn a second language when they don't use it at home or since birth. Hagwons are really ridiculous when teaching students a foreign language they pretty much never get it right and expect you to improvise--yet don't allow you to either. I once worked for a hagwon that wanted you to learn the curriculum in 3 days including learning all the songs and dances for the young kids, purposely limiting your class observation time, throw a bunch of materials at you making you summarize 5 very advanced lessons to 5 very simple ones while not giving you the right information and materials since day one. Places like this eventually will blame you for not being a "good" teacher because they never will take fault for messing up. I say if you really want to learn how to teach follow the warm up, activity, and wrap up teaching method but also learn other effective ways to teach too ex: Non-Traditional Education. 

• mrc45
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 12:50:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
The way to become a "good" teacher at a hagwon is to get no complaints. It doesn't matter what you do in class, what the kids learn, or how you teach, so long as you get no complaints from parents. Sadly, the number one way to ensure complaints is to think you, as a hagwon teacher, are in fact a real teacher in the eyes of the students, parents, and school staff. It doesn't matter how qualified you are, what degrees you hold, or how much experience you have; your one and only purpose as a teacher in a hagwon is to entertain the students. The students expect it. The parents expect it. The hagwon owner/director expects it. They might toss you a bone and say you're there to "teach pronunciation," but even that's too much most of the time. If you go into class expecting to teach anything, you will get complaints of being "boring."

The sad thing is you will get students who really want to learn. They'll work hard and really seem to appreciate your lessons. However, they will almost always be the minority in a class. If you're an entertainer, which is what the hagwons want, you lose those students or they're deprived of actual learning opportunities. If you try to teach, the other students quit. The lowest common denominator always wins in the end.

The other sad thing is good, honest teachers or people interested in getting into the ESL/EFL field get duped into thinking South Koreans care about English education. They don't. South Koreans don't give a rat's ass about learning English. They've been told they need to learn English for their university entrance exams, so they study English. If that section of the test were eliminated, English hagwons would disappear. That means the only information "worth" teaching in class is what's going to be on exams. Actual communication skills are irrelevant. If South Koreans do actually care about English, it's as a status symbol. These days, it's tied to their financial ability to travel abroad and live in another country.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:11:12 pm by mrc45 »

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »
This thread is turning out to be a must-read for any noobs thinking of coming to Korea and entertaining the idea that they can take themselves seriously in their capacity as a teacher, or that anyone else here will. It's the original sin of the foreign English teacher. Still, I would take that sincerity over anyone who comes here thinking they can hide from taking anything seriously.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »
Lol is this a troll post?? :laugh:

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:23:54 pm »

My first school experience: Arrived in Korea at 10:30 pm on a Sunday got to my temporary room at 12 ish. Next day met my director at 8:30 am and was at the hagwon at 9:30 am. First class was at 11:00 am no training and not orientation.

I realized profits for the school are more important than teaching in about 1 day. Happy students equal happy director.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:54 pm »

My first school experience: Arrived in Korea at 10:30 pm on a Sunday got to my temporary room at 12 ish. Next day met my director at 8:30 am and was at the hagwon at 9:30 am. First class was at 11:00 am no training and not orientation.

I realized profits for the school are more important than teaching in about 1 day. Happy students equal happy director.

Hard to believe that what took you a day to realize doesn't dawn on others (like myself) for several years, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. A case of cognitive dissonance? Then again, without that basic assumption of my role here, I'm not sure I would have lasted too long. I wonder what sustained you beyond that first day. That self-delusion allows you to think that, yeah, this hagwon sucks, but if I can wait it out a year, I'll be able to find another one. One that is better managed and can appreciate my unique contribution. In the meantime it allows you to rail against the management with coworkers over drinks after your shift ends at 10 pm and complain about how the school doesn't really value education (not the way you do, anyway) and point out all the ways the hagwon would do better (sooo much better) and stop losing kids if they just saw things more like you do, if only they'd ask.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• May 04, 2012, 01:55:20 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 01:59:42 am »
I'll never forget my first class in Korea about a decade ago at a hagwon. It was a TOEIC listening class for middle school kids. They told me the class would be 45 minutes and that I should just play the tape and have them take the test. Well, I did that. And it was finished after 20 minutes. I still had 25 minutes with these completely silent kids. I didn't know what to do with them. So, I tried some conversation with them. I didn't even know I could do hangman with them. Also, I hadn't gotten over my jet lag yet. I was teaching the day after I got to Korea. These days, I barely bat an eye at being told I have to teach in one minute even if I didn't prepare anything. I just shrug and do it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:02:15 am by Somebody »

• Sel
  • Explorer

• December 21, 2014, 02:38:43 am
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »
I'll never forget my first class in Korea about a decade ago at a hagwon. It was a TOEIC listening class for middle school kids. They told me the class would be 45 minutes and that I should just play the tape and have them take the test. Well, I did that. And it was finished after 20 minutes. I still had 25 minutes with these completely silent kids. I didn't know what to do with them. So, I tried some conversation with them. I didn't even know I could do hangman with them. Also, I hadn't gotten over my jet lag yet. I was teaching the day after I got to Korea. These days, I barely bat an eye at being told I have to teach in one minute even if I didn't prepare anything. I just shrug and do it.

How do you do it?

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 11:49:59 pm »

And that is how you survive in Korea. It is just one big game here. Play the game, don't take things seriously, and your life will be ace here.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 01:55:16 am »

How do you do it?

To be honest, I don't know. These days I have a handle on teaching Korean kids. I could start with anything and see if they know it. If they don't, then I cover that.

• Somebody
  • Super Waygook

• Suwon
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 02:00:12 am »

And that is how you survive in Korea. It is just one big game here. Play the game, don't take things seriously, and your life will be ace here.

Damn straight. It's akin to impromptu speaking. I did this in high school and was repeatedly asked to come up with something on the spot. It's good training for when you suddenly have to address a bunch of people with no plan. I think esl teachers here get a good dose of this. They would do well back home on presentations I think.