Read 2170 times

Are there any teachers on this  board who have served in the Peace Corps either before or after (or in between) teaching here in Korea?  Where did you do your service and what was your experience like? 

I have been doing research and found that there are many ESL teachers stationed around the world in underdeveloped countries.  Of course this is a volunteer position that requires integrating into the local community and receive a small living stipend only, so it could be quite a financial and emotional challenge.  Share your thoughts or experiences!

• ajr30
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 01:16:21 pm
    • Yangsan, Korea
https://www.facebook.com/evanandrachel/

Here's a couple that used to teach in Korea and now they are doing Peace Corps in Indonesia. They might be able to help you out.

• zizitaji
  • Waygookin

• June 30, 2015, 03:23:39 am
    • Korea
I paln to serve in 2018! Africa, in the educational or youth development sector.

It would be interesting to hear stories from those that have served  :laugh:.

Ive thought about it a lot... but TWO YEARS?!  Jesus honestly... why have they not thought to start implementing at least a FEW One year (or even 6 month) options?

https://www.facebook.com/evanandrachel/

Here's a couple that used to teach in Korea and now they are doing Peace Corps in Indonesia. They might be able to help you out.

I gave up an offer to teach English in Indonesia with the Peace Corps in favor of staying in Korea.  In that time I was able to pay off my debt, which would have continued gaining interest if I had gone into PC, but maybe I'd be in grad school by now had I taken the offer.

The endless and ridiculously bureaucratic application process for the Peace Corps makes the EPIK application look like a cakewalk. At least EPIK doesn't ask you for your dental records!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

Does the Peace Corps offer loan forgiveness? I know certain programs from Americorps do?

Not sure about Peace Corps, but with AmeriCorps (NCCC, Vista, and the State and National programs), you do get the Segal Education Award at the end of your year-long (10 1/2 month) term. If you do a 2nd year with AmeriCorps, you're eligible for a 2nd Segal Award too.

As far as loan forgiveness goes, the Segal Award isn't a huge amount, at least compared to working in Korea for one year and saving a lot that way.

Thanks for the comments guys!  I have already served two years in AmeriCorps before Korea and got the Segal Education Award which really helped me on my student loans.  I've been in Korea nearly four years now and would ideally love to do the Peace Corps, but I'm not sure if its for me at this point in my life!  I can imagine the application process must be quite the ordeal.  I think that our experience teaching in Korea would be a big plus for us trying to get the Peace Corps post that we hope for.  However, I am not sure how I would feel doing a job (teaching) and just getting paid a volunteer's stipend after the last few years of getting at least a decent amount of money each month. 

Thanks for the comments guys!  I have already served two years in AmeriCorps before Korea and got the Segal Education Award which really helped me on my student loans.  I've been in Korea nearly four years now and would ideally love to do the Peace Corps, but I'm not sure if its for me at this point in my life!  I can imagine the application process must be quite the ordeal.  I think that our experience teaching in Korea would be a big plus for us trying to get the Peace Corps post that we hope for.  However, I am not sure how I would feel doing a job (teaching) and just getting paid a volunteer's stipend after the last few years of getting at least a decent amount of money each month.

If you're interested in teaching you could try the New Teacher Project or Teach for America. Might have to look at it for next year. I think most of the deadlines are passed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:13:59 pm by Pattinsons »

The endless and ridiculously bureaucratic application process for the Peace Corps makes the EPIK application look like a cakewalk. At least EPIK doesn't ask you for your dental records!
Omg.  Why.

What is your end goal? Life will bite you in the behind financially sooner than you think.

• andyrich007
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
    • Anyang, S. Korea

Hi,

I have done Peace Corps back in 2011-13 in Ecuador. I did the TEFL program and enjoyed it. I recommend doing it as it is an amazing experience.  They don't pay you much for your stipend but you can save a bit of it and travel the country as well. You can be placed in other programs not just TEFL too. It depends on how you word your resume and application letters.

The application process is pretty standard the only thing that will be an ordeal is your medical (paying for all the tests and procedures was such a hassle).  It took me a few months to get the application in, but  6 months later I was in Ecuador. However, it could take a year for them to give you an assignment so it definitely depends on your set of skills and background.

FYI I did PC after my MA so all my student loans (Federal loans) were deferred until I was done. So it helps defer your loans and I had no interest to pay on my subsidized loans.

Benefits of PC = Next year I will be using my PC experience to do an alternative teaching program through California. The program gives me a teaching certification without having to go through other hoops. I will be certified to teach right away and have 5 years to complete their program (tests and courses).  Here is a link to the program http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl535.pdf

I say if you want to make money and save up than do that instead. We had volunteers that were 70 years old join us so there is time for you to join PC.  Most of the volunteers that were 60+ had retired and wanted to do something more with their time.

added: If you have any questions message me and I will try to answer as best I can. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:29:13 pm by andyrich007 »

I knew this old guy who did it here in the late 1970's here in Korea.  He said Korea lost it's qualification for it since it was developing so quickly shortly after (maybe early 80's).  He didn't do much except teach at a school like a NET.  No helping build the village or anything like that.  His country town that would take 3 hours today took 5 and a half hours to get up to Seoul due to terrible roads.  Buses more dangerous.  Garbage everywhere.  Water not drinkable.  3 or 4 times a year, he had to get up to Seoul to meet the head of the Peace Corps.  While there, he bought expensive treats like a banana which was a rarity here in and of itself.  The US base put a small restaurant outside it's entrance since PC and expats would ask to be allowed on base to get a hamburger or something like that.  He dated a local girl and the woman running his borading house actually put him out because of it.  He was there to help them and was on a pittance unlike us and the locals still got racist on him.  The toilets were more like outhouses and the trucks came around to collect it and put it on the fields for fertilizer.  Can't think of what else he told me.  Just weird random $h!t.  He did marry this girl however and end up working in Ulsan for a few years in the 80's for a company making 2 million won a month.  Which was big money back then.  He also told me when a girl working there (in the company) reached 27 or 28, they would fire her and tell her it was her duty to the country to go get married and raise children.  A woman shouldn't work or some spiel like that. 

The country has changed a lot.   

• TylerDurden
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2011, 07:49:57 pm
    • Sanbon South Korea
Are there any teachers on this  board who have served in the Peace Corps either before or after (or in between) teaching here in Korea?  Where did you do your service and what was your experience like? 

I have been doing research and found that there are many ESL teachers stationed around the world in underdeveloped countries.  Of course this is a volunteer position that requires integrating into the local community and receive a small living stipend only, so it could be quite a financial and emotional challenge.  Share your thoughts or experiences!
I did Peace Corps Russia back in 2001-03.