Read 4358 times

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
So, yesterday, after Tottenham failed to beat Chelsea, Leicester clinched the most unlikely premier league crown in history. 
This is an utterly remarkable achievement. They were 5000/1 at the beginning of the season, and one of the favourites for relegation. They had just sacked their manager, and had next to  no money to spend. Yet they have gone on to win the title.
This almost definitely ranks as the greatest shock in British sporting history, and has to be a contender for the biggest upset in WORLD sporting history.
However, i know some of you aren't from the UK, and probably have amazing and unlikely stories from sports in your home country, or elsewhere.

Let's discuss! Feel free to throw on videos, newspaper clippings, anything! Also, let's try keeping it positive and fun! Which means no moronic Russian sounding named people bleating on about how corporal punishment is the only way to get Arsenal's players performing to their potential. You all know who i mean.

The answer to your question is pretty much 'yes' unless you count accumulator bets. For North Americans here are some of the other biggest odds you could have got for past championships.

1980 USA men's Olympic hockey team - 1,000:1
1969 New York Mets - 1,000:1
2013 Auburn football - 1,000:1
1985 Villanova men's basketball - 800:1
1987 Minnesota Twins - 500:1
1999 St Louis Rams - 300:1
2004 Greece European Championships - 150:1
1992 Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson - 42:1

In the 2014 world cup you could have got 1500-1 on Iran winning. Still far short of Leicester's odds.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
"JUST HOW CRAZY IS 5,000-1?
Here are some other bets (legal in England, not the U.S.) offered at those odds by William Hill:

• Elvis is found alive.
• Yeti or Loch Ness Monster is proven to exist.
• Christmas is the warmest day of the year in England.
• Kanye West and Kim Kardashian name their next child Sinner.
• Kim Kardashian becomes the U.S. president in 2020.
• Barack Obama plays cricket for England after he leaves Oval Office."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Source: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14759409/why-leicester-city-become-biggest-long-shot-champion-sports-history

• HyooMyron
  • Super Waygook

• October 14, 2013, 11:36:39 pm
    • Jinju, S. Korea
One day I'll sit my grandkids on my lap and they'll ask me, "Grandpa, can you tell us the story of Leicester winning the premier league?" And I'll say, "It all started with 3 Brits, some Thai hookers, and a lot of racial slurs."

• btnh
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2016, 12:00:12 pm
    • Daegu
So, yesterday, after Tottenham failed to beat Chelsea, Leicester clinched the most unlikely premier league crown in history. 
This is an utterly remarkable achievement. They were 5000/1 at the beginning of the season, and one of the favourites for relegation. They had just sacked their manager, and had next to  no money to spend. Yet they have gone on to win the title.
This almost definitely ranks as the greatest shock in British sporting history, and has to be a contender for the biggest upset in WORLD sporting history.
However, i know some of you aren't from the UK, and probably have amazing and unlikely stories from sports in your home country, or elsewhere.

Let's discuss! Feel free to throw on videos, newspaper clippings, anything! Also, let's try keeping it positive and fun! Which means no moronic Russian sounding named people bleating on about how corporal punishment is the only way to get Arsenal's players performing to their potential. You all know who i mean.

Not taking anything away from Leicester it was a remarkable achievement. The likelihood is we will never see this again in our lifetime. What I have a problem with is this prevailing myth that they had no money or spent no money. They have a Thai billionaire who pumped in (illegally) 120M into the club. Obviously it's not as much as the traditional top 4 have been investing, but lets not get too carried away.

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
Ahaaaa these replies have all been great so far. Informative and hilarious.

That Thai hooker is definitely the unsung hero of this title in. She literally did start the wheels in motion. Probably wont be a detail that's included in the movie they'e making about it though!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
congrats leicester - from a spurs fan

Although the odds aren't the same, the 1969 Mets were pretty darn close. They just come out of nowhere too. You basically just had Tom Seaver, Tug McGraw, and Jerry Koosman and that's it. Nolan Ryan had yet to become a force. They were brutally bad for their first 7 years of existence. I think they would have been a 5,000-1 shot too, but I don't think U.S. sports oddsmakers will go that high on anything.

While not an "upset", DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak is pretty improbable. I think its something of an 18,000-1 shot. The New York Giant's 26 game win streak in 1916 is pretty improbable as well. That just doesn't happen in baseball, even baseball in 1916.

Miracle on Ice was just a hot streak. Same with Villanova. Auburn in 2013 is the equivalent of say, Liverpool finishing 15th one season and finishing 2nd the next while winning the FA Cup. A powerhouse with one bad season retooling and coming back strong.

Yes.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
I'm surprised no one mentioned Nottingham Forest winning the Premiership (First Division in those days) in 1978?
They were promoted into the first division that season, and in their first season won the whole thing. (And proceeded to win the European Cup, or whatever it was known as then, the next year).

Yes.

Thank you for your support Mr Scarn Sir, it made my and Mr Wenger's day.

Arsenal pipped Spurs to 2nd on the final game of the season.  :P Now, that could be good news or bad news depending on how you look at it. Things can't really get any more complacent at the Emirates and Wenger will be walking around like Vince McMahon now.

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
Yes.

Arsenal pipped Spurs to 2nd on the final game of the season.  :P Now, that could be good news or bad news depending on how you look at it. Things can't really get any more complacent at the Emirates and Wenger will be walking around like Vince McMahon now.

yeh Spurs seriously bottled it! All started with the game at Chelsea where they gave Leicester the title. The lack of discipline highlighted their inexperience, and it's carried on.

I, however, am a Newcastle fan. This season has basically been a bloody disaster from start to finish. Nightmare.

Yes.

yeh Spurs seriously bottled it! All started with the game at Chelsea where they gave Leicester the title. The lack of discipline highlighted their inexperience, and it's carried on.

I, however, am a Newcastle fan. This season has basically been a bloody disaster from start to finish. Nightmare.

Haha. Sunderland fan here.  :P

Classic Newcastle yesterday. Might have been a better idea to attempt a shot on target against villa though!  :afro:

My favorite quote concerning Spur's capitulation couldn't have been summed up better than it was on Football 365:

"Losing 5-1 is frustrating. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team only adds to the woe. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team with ten men piles more woe on top of woe. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team with ten men and allowing your rivals to overtake you on the final day is absolutely exceptional work. Tottenham didn’t so much shoot themselves in the foot as bathe in hot oil before jumping into a fire."

Pretty unfortunate for Tottenham as this all wasn't sudden, but had been coming over the last few games as was highlighted briefly above. Even more unfortunate now is that some of Arsenal faithful will see this season as "a decent one all round" or "not a bad outing, all things considered" or worse, "at least we finished above spurs".

In a season where the traditional title hopefuls were all crippled so to speak, (self inflicted or otherwise), Arsenal could have moonwalked to the title, alas, its seems the 'Arsenal way' involves a lot more than 'entertaining football', also includes avoid winning titles at all costs. Take nothing away from Leicester obviously, they had a great season, with great players and they were grinding out wins when they needed to, you know? like champions do.

Stellar career as he's had, Wenger needs to leave, he just needs to. 
Knowing what it feels like to be in pain, is exactly why we should try to be kind to others.

What was Wenger thinking, sending Walcott on that early?

What was Wenger thinking, sending Walcott on that early?

HAHA! Did you see that ludicrous display last night? *Moss's version of a cockney accent*
Knowing what it feels like to be in pain, is exactly why we should try to be kind to others.

Fing about Arsenal is, they always try an' walk it in.

• DLJL
  • Super Waygook

• July 26, 2015, 08:33:30 pm
    • Yeosu
Spurs last night has to be the biggest, grandest choke I've ever seen. And I'm an Everton fan.

Fing about Arsenal is, they always try an' walk it in.

True. Mind 'ow you go.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
The Chicago Blackhawks had the worst regular season record, winning just 14 of 48 games, and scoring the least in the league, but squeeked into the playoffs and then beat Montreal, New York and then Toronto in the final series to win the 1938 Stanley Cup championship. And they did it with just one future Hockey Hall of Fame forward and one HHOF defenseman, against teams with HHOF coaching, goaltenders, five or more HHOF skaters.

Here the bunch of nobodys (with all due respect to Earl Seibert):