Read 9710 times

"Maintenance" being taken out of my paycheck each month?
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
2.2 salary, getting 120,000 (or so) each month being taken out called "Maintenance." I'm wondering if anyone else has this going on with them? Is it... right? I asked my boss about what it was and it was hard for her to answer. This is separate from Internet and Gas which are in my contract.

While I'm here- also  getting money taken out for income tax, which I can claim back when I leave, right?

Thanks.

Re: "Maintenance" being taken out of my paycheck each month?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19:59 am »
It's not uncommon to pay a maintenance fee on your apartment, after all it says in our contracts we are responsible for all fees, bills etc.

w120k seems really pricey though? What kinda place are you living in?

I used to pay w50k per month for my 1 room apartment without an elevator and all that the maintenance fee seemed to cover was the woman sweeping a marble floor with one of those mini brooms and a new light bulb when needed.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:07:02 am »
You're working at a hagwon and the hagwon owner owns the building you are living in?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:37 am »
You're being hosed if you're paying 120,000 "maintenance fee".  Most I ever paid was 50,000 and I had an elevator and a "security" adjosshi who slept in a tiny office all of the time.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:14:57 am »
I paid about 30k in some places and 50k in others.  Currently I pay nothing extra, but I assume it's covered in the rent.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:54 am »
Are you at public school, or hagwon?  Who is providing the accommodation?

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:41:42 am »
She is screwing you.

Regarding taxes, if you are at public school you are exempt for the first two years.  At hagwon, no such luck.

If you pay taxes here and have to do a tax return at home you may be able to use tax paid here as a deduction against tax due there, but it depends on which country you are from.

Finally, check that your friends are not talking about pension.  You should be paying 4.5% of your salary to the pension office, and your boss should be paying an equal amount.  Again, depending on your home country it is that money that you may be able to get back.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:06 am »
Are you at public school, or hagwon?  Who is providing the accommodation?

Hagwon, via my boss.

I trust her though (is that taboo in Korea?)

She's always been very kind and honest with me, I really think if my maintenance fee is this much it's for a legitimate reason. As I said, I'm starting to really look over my finances for next year so I wanted to see what this fee is all about.

Also-  anyone know if I can get what was taken out of taxes here? That's really handled by my native country? Some of my friends from neighboring cities say we can get all of that back before we go, but I'm really not sure.

She's getting some niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice cash back from you.

She's mugging you off, unfortunately. I mean, unless you're getting BJ's and massages when you return home from work everyday then there ain't no way to justify 120k for stealth tax maintenance.

If you re-sign at that school, ask em to take that clause out the contract or lower it. Not much you can do now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:17:11 am by AgentMichaelScarn »

• flyingspider
  • Super Waygook

• February 27, 2016, 08:33:47 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:16:31 am »
Maybe the 120k fee includes more than maintenance? I pay 50k a month for the maintenance fee but it also includes water, internet, and cable.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 10:17:38 am »
Maybe the 120k fee includes more than maintenance? I pay 50k a month for the maintenance fee but it also includes water, internet, and cable.

Read the first post again.  8)

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 10:28:47 am »
I love it when they charge maintenance fees for nothing in those buildings.  What maintenance do they actually do? 

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
If it's a nice place, that is well-maintained, 120,000 for such a fee is pretty typical.

Only the OP would know that answer.

• flyingspider
  • Super Waygook

• February 27, 2016, 08:33:47 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:36:44 am »

Read the first post again.  8)
Oops, sorry! Completely missed that part for some reason.  :lipsrsealed: (120k does seem like an awful lot then if you're not getting any extras.)

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:49 am »
I've paid that before. My places was big enough for 3 people.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• devsterl
  • Super Waygook

• February 29, 2016, 06:47:07 am
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
My maintenance is included with my electricity for some reason. I pay around 70K. My gas is around 50k (I used to leave the water boiler on in my first month  :cry: - before I knew any better), hopefully gas will go down A LOT now.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 10:49:31 am »
I love it when they charge maintenance fees for nothing in those buildings.  What maintenance do they actually do?
this is literally me.

there's no security guy

there is no place to put trash even, just a corner where people randomly dump it. i'm the only one who uses the correct bags, as far as i can tell

nothing ever gets cleaned

there's no nice rooftop space

ugh, such bullshit

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 10:50:15 am »
If it's a nice place, that is well-maintained, 120,000 for such a fee is pretty typical.
No, it's not.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:47 am »
OP,

Sorry, but you are going to have to sift through the garbage in this thread to find a helpful/accurate post.

The fee sounds spot on to me.

How much are you paying for gas, electricity, and water?

From what you have posted thus far, it is unclear as to whether the mainentance fee is including your monthly utility bills or not.

Either way, approach this gently, as there is no point in damaging your working relationship due to your misunderstanding of what the monthly fee covers.

It is in your contract, after all.

Enjoy your weekend.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 12:10:44 pm »
OP, it depends on what other utility bills you're getting.

My apartment maintenance fee is 50,000, and added to that bill is my water, electricity, and some other things I can't remember now, but they made sense when I translated them. It has ranged from 75,000 to 110,000. Gas is separate for me, and has been 7,000 to 20,000. Some apartments have internet included as well.

I should note I'm in a family apartment building with security guys and multiple elevators.

Whether 120,000 is normal or not depends on if you're paying any other bills.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 12:11:49 pm »
OP,

Sorry, but you are going to have to sift through the garbage in this thread to find a helpful/accurate post.

The fee sounds spot on to me.

How much are you paying for gas, electricity, and water?

From what you have posted thus far, it is unclear as to whether the mainentance fee is including your monthly utility bills or not.

Either way, approach this gently, as there is no point in damaging your working relationship due to your misunderstanding of what the monthly fee covers.

It is in your contract, after all.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks for your input, but you really should read before posting.

2.2 salary, getting 120,000 (or so) each month being taken out called "Maintenance." I'm wondering if anyone else has this going on with them? Is it... right? I asked my boss about what it was and it was hard for her to answer. This is separate from Internet and Gas which are in my contract.

The reason OP's boss found it hard to answer was because it is not at all reasonable and she's being taken for a ride.