Read 1538 times

Any middle schools left in Seoul?
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:00 am »
Ambitious BUT I'm a GEPIK teacher and I'm looking to move into Seoul next year. Currently I teach at a public elementary school but I'd love to teach at a middle school in Seoul.

Are there any such positions left? If not what are your opinions of middle school teaching at private schools and hagwons (distinction here)?

Re: Any middle schools left in Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:08:47 pm »
I am at a middle school in Seoul. We have already finished our intention of renewal forms, so my suggestion is to call each office of education, and talk to the person that oversees the native teachers. From there, maybe you can set up an in person interview. Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:14:32 pm »
I am at a middle school in Seoul. We have already finished our intention of renewal forms, so my suggestion is to call each office of education, and talk to the person that oversees the native teachers. From there, maybe you can set up an in person interview. Good luck!

As in there will be no more NETs at your school after your contract is over?

• Inge1415
  • Veteran

• August 23, 2014, 09:43:50 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 12:47:38 pm »
It shrinks every year but they are spot on about contacting the coordinator. However SMOE's coordinator just resigned a few days ago and his replacement I believe isn't starting full time until later in May? (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

From what I have gathered, some teachers that renew are being moved to elementary, some teachers are staying in middle school, but they are definitely phasing middle school out. 
ALSO: They are already towards the end of their hiring process. Interviews have been done, and in May people should start hearing if they got into Seoul, placements announced the last day of orientation in August...Are you thinking of moving in February? 

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 12:53:33 pm »
It shrinks every year but they are spot on about contacting the coordinator. However SMOE's coordinator just resigned a few days ago and his replacement I believe isn't starting full time until later in May? (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

This is news to me. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:02:48 pm »

As in there will be no more NETs at your school after your contract is over?

If I were to leave, they would probably try to higher another teacher. They also look for experience, so your previous time will most definitely help.

• Inge1415
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »

This is news to me. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

No problem! It was just announced on the SMOE facebook group, and the new coordinator is great ^^

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 03:08:17 pm »
Jon will be missed.

• antmar
  • Veteran

• January 13, 2016, 07:03:08 am
    • Pyeongtaek, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:02 pm »
I'm also living in Gyeonggido and I'm looking to move to Seoul next year (My contract ends february of 2017) when is the best time to contact school if I'm looking to move to Seoul for a March start time?

• Inge1415
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:50 pm »
I think the application process for spring starts around september or october if I remember right...you would want to go for a late start though because I think the normal starting date is February, so there may be less middle schools available in March...

I was a August intake myself soooo...any February SMOE hires who can be more specific?

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »
I work at a middle school in SMOE. There are only a few of us left and they are definitely being phased out as I wanted to leave my position and move to the teacher training center for this school year and Jon informed me if I left, my school would probably not be receiving a new NET. I'm most definitely leaving my school in february after 4 years there and I know they are really nervous about not receiving a new NET for next school year.

From what I've gathered, there is a waiting list for SMOE for direct hires, but I would probably get in contact with the new co-ordinator, Dave and ask to be put on the list as it might be awhile.