Read 5647 times

Buying a Korean Xbox360 pros/cons?
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »
So I want to buy an Xbox360. I'm from New Zealand and would prefer to get a New Zealand console but I don't think that is going to happen here and I wouldnt risk getting one sent here. So I am considering buying a Korean Xbox360 but I was wondering what the pitfalls maybe?

I've read that the xbox compatibility with games is "so-so" but I was wondering if anyone knew any major problems with buying an korean xbox e.g. power compat/regional lock and anything else that may not be obvious.

Thanks for any replies.

• Khuli
  • Explorer

• June 09, 2010, 07:14:36 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Buying a Korean Xbox360 pros/cons?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »
the only con that I know of, is that you will not be able to buy games when you return to ur country. Well...then again you could just sell it before you leave.

• keobuk2
  • Waygookin

• May 03, 2009, 08:53:35 am
    • Gwangju, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:05:14 pm »
I was in the same position (from NZ, wanting X360).
If you want English games, PlayAsia is your friend. Prices including shipping are about the same as local and they have most games in English. Region is different to NZ, so count on building your collection again. Game prices are better than NZ but not by much (~$10 less?)
If you want to keep your NZ gamertag, I believe you need to buy MSPoints from NZ. I just set up a new one here and buy points at onlinepoints.co.kr. Things might have changed but I got mine a couple of years back.
If you want to take it back to NZ, no problem. Just get a plug adaptor and it will work, no worries. Or sell it on, though they don't seem to hold their value very well..

• Koradian
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• October 08, 2010, 10:29:15 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »
www.playasia.com

A wicked site for ordering English games for all platforms!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
I sold my Xbox 360 before I came, because they have the region issue. PlayAsia.com is your best solution to solve the "English" game issue. Not ALL Korean games are in Korean. It shows on the back of the box. I bought and brought a PS3, because only the DVD/Blu Ray player is region protected. I have a few Korean games, Black Ops and only the game box and instructions are in Korean. It comes with a little booklet in Korean for the story. Big games are in Korean though.

Your best bet is getting one from NZ, if you want to keep it post-leaving Korea. Or buy a Korean one and just sell it.

Good luck Kiwi

• tfung31
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 10:59:20 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:29:04 pm »
I would recommend buying a used korean xbox if you cant find a NZ one. i have an xbox at home but didnt bring it because of the region lock. I bought a used 80gb ps3 for 200,000 won, which i can bring back to the US and play any game since it is region free (for games and blu ray).

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »
the only con that I know of, is that you will not be able to buy games when you return to ur country. Well...then again you could just sell it before you leave.

Why? Will they not work in my Korean xbox360? So this means that 360s are region protected? -__- I thought that the region protection was "so-so". requires further investigation maybe.

www.playasia.com

A wicked site for ordering English games for all platforms!

I have used playasia before when in NZ when ever I wanted a game we weren't going to get but didn't think of it in this instance. Will have to check it out again.

I sold my Xbox 360 before I came, because they have the region issue. PlayAsia.com is your best solution to solve the "English" game issue. Not ALL Korean games are in Korean. It shows on the back of the box. I bought and brought a PS3, because only the DVD/Blu Ray player is region protected. I have a few Korean games, Black Ops and only the game box and instructions are in Korean. It comes with a little booklet in Korean for the story. Big games are in Korean though.

Your best bet is getting one from NZ, if you want to keep it post-leaving Korea. Or buy a Korean one and just sell it.

Good luck Kiwi

hmmm. I would love to get an NZ xbox but i'm just not sure that getting one shipped here would be safe. e.g. knocked around (meaning red ring etc), stolen by some dirty postie who eyes the "FRAGILE" sign on the package or it simply not making it to my Korean address.

I have a ps3 that i brought with me from NZ. I picked up a korean copy of Black ops for 40,000 won which i thought was kinda of a steal but then there is the stupid region thing when it comes to DLC.

But i want an xbox cause I haven't played one in about a year and there are a few games I want to play on 360.

I was in the same position (from NZ, wanting X360).
If you want English games, PlayAsia is your friend. Prices including shipping are about the same as local and they have most games in English. Region is different to NZ, so count on building your collection again. Game prices are better than NZ but not by much (~$10 less?)
If you want to keep your NZ gamertag, I believe you need to buy MSPoints from NZ. I just set up a new one here and buy points at onlinepoints.co.kr. Things might have changed but I got mine a couple of years back.
If you want to take it back to NZ, no problem. Just get a plug adaptor and it will work, no worries. Or sell it on, though they don't seem to hold their value very well..

Wtf? So can't I just buy an xbox and then log on using my NZ gamertag? And I agree consoles tend to go for less than half the price you paid for it.

Seems all a bit dubious to me. Maybe I should just flag the Korean xbox360....lol

• khavimak
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 11:48:06 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:21 am »
You should buy a PS3

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »
You should buy a

I've had both and they are pretty equal in terms of everything.  This really depends on what games you want to get for them.
Gears is pretty sweet but resistance was equally as good. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »
The 720 is probably out soon. id wait for that tbh

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:23:29 am »
You should buy a PS3

You should learn to read.

You should buy a PS3

Yeah, you got your 5 posts, dragging up old threads with nothing but this, you should at least provide a biased yet constructive argument on why OP should buy a PS3 but then this thread is pretty old so why not try the apple vs pc thread, I hear Sony is making a Mac os based version

You should also learn to read. There is a PS3 app for iphone so they have a decent working relationship I guess.

You should buy a

I've had both and they are pretty equal in terms of everything.  This really depends on what games you want to get for them.
Gears is pretty sweet but resistance was equally as good.

I think maybe you also should learn to read. Gears sux and so does Resistance. PS3 > Xbox. But I have both so me > those with 1 console.

The 720 is probably out soon. id wait for that tbh

The next xbox wont be out for at least another year. I think probably end of 2013. And I doubt they would be stupid enough to call it the xbox720 but who knows with microsoft.

Hate to drag up this old ass thread but the stupidity of the recent posts pushed me to it.