Read 1140 times

• TEFLOL
  • Explorer

• April 07, 2016, 03:02:35 am
    • Georgia
Avalon contract-need to respond ASAP!
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:14:42 am »
So until I checked the responses for the CDI contract, I was pretty set on that.  Here's the Avalon I was offered to respond to on Friday.  I can't fit it all here, so I attached it.  Any help would be extremely appreciated.  My alternate (for now) is CDI, who I also have to let know immediately if not sooner.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
Re: Avalon contract-need to respond ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 04:08:22 am »
The regularly scheduled working hours are 9 hours a day in total (8 working hours + 1hour break). However; depending on the

campus the working hours may be shortened to 8 working hours a day without a “lunch break.”

So 8 hours without a break?

1.1 The Employer will pay a monthly salary of _2,100,000 KRW for regularly scheduled hours.

2. HOUSING•주택 제공

3. AIRFARE REIMBURSEMENT•항공 요금

Something is missing here.

If the Employee fails to work the stipulated working hours due to tardiness, absence, failure to clock in or out, or other reasons

the Employee’s monthly salary will be calculated and paid pro rata (daily or hourly). According to South Korea’s labor laws, an

employee who misses a working day, will be deducted pay for the missed days as well as for the following Saturday.

If you miss one day they dock you 2 days pay.

Skip both CDI and Avalon. Better to wait for something that is anything but them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:10:13 am by oskinny1 »

• TEFLOL
  • Explorer

• April 07, 2016, 03:02:35 am
    • Georgia
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:30:54 am »
The regularly scheduled working hours are 9 hours a day in total (8 working hours + 1hour break). However; depending on the

campus the working hours may be shortened to 8 working hours a day without a “lunch break.”

1.1 The Employer will pay a monthly salary of _2,100,000 KRW for regularly scheduled hours.

2. HOUSING•주택 제공

If the Employee fails to work the stipulated working hours due to tardiness, absence, failure to clock in or out, or other reasons

the Employee’s monthly salary will be calculated and paid pro rata (daily or hourly). According to South Korea’s labor laws, an

employee who misses a working day, will be deducted pay for the missed days as well as for the following Saturday.

Skip both CDI and Avalon. Better to wait for something that is anything but them.

What would you recommend for a first time teacher looking to leave in spring or early summer?

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:31 am »
Just don't let anyone pressure you into something. Don't go until you feel sure about it. There are loads of jobs, you just need to wait for it.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:12:45 am »
First piece of advice for newbies still applying - go for public schools.

Gyeongnam office of education just put a notice out a few days ago that they are lowering the requirements for applicants. Another local office of education nearby has been pestering previous teachers to see if they want to come back.

All this suggests there is a shortage of public school teachers, particularly in the southern regions. Go public (EPIK, JLP, GOE, CEPIK, GEPIK etc), get in the country and get your feet wet in the first year at a public school, then go for hagwons after your first contract (if you still want to).

With public schools, you won't have any contractual or pay issues to worry about, and you won't be fired for not learning the ropes quickly enough.

Also, recruiters ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. They don't have your best interests at heart. Their number one objective is to get the commission fee for placing you at a school before someone else gets the money.

Don't be afraid to use multiple recruiters at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:33:03 am by waygo0k »

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:23:59 am »

2. HOUSING•주택 제공

What would you recommend for a first time teacher looking to leave in spring or early summer?

Keep applying and talking to recruiters.  There are countless jobs out there.  Honestly, if the recruiter is willing to send you an incomplete contract with blatantly illegal clauses, I would consider moving on to another one.

There are alot of jobs out there.