Read 1701 times

• TEFLOL
  • Explorer

• April 07, 2016, 03:02:35 am
    • Georgia
CDI April Yeongtong contract
« on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:32 am »
Just received an offer Monday night, so they're expecting an answer soon.  I know CDI has a sketchy rep, but most of the reviews I found on Indeed and Glassdoor are average to positive.

The parties hereto (the “Parties”) covenant to comply with the labor laws of the Republic of

Korea and the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and agree as follows:

Article 1: Training Period

1 In order to render teaching services for the Company, the Instructor must successfully

complete the Company’s training programs and obtain a training certificate issued by

the Company.

2 The employment relationship between the Company and the Instructor shall become

effective upon successful completion of the Company’s training programs and the

training period shall not be included in the term of the employment agreement.

3 Matters related to the training period in this Article shall only apply to instructors

who enter into an agreement with the Company for the first time.

Article 2. Term

1 This Agreement shall be effective from MAY 25TH, 2016 to MAY 24TH, 2017, upon

which this Agreement shall be automatically terminated.

2 This Agreement may be extended upon mutual agreement of both Parties.

Article 3: Probationary Period

1 An April instructor who enters into this Agreement for the first time shall undergo a

probationary period of 3 months commencing on the date of commencement

specified in Article 2, and if the expiration date of the probationary period falls on a

holiday, the following day shall be the expiration date.

2 If, during, or upon expiration of, the probationary period, it is acknowledged that it is

inappropriate for the April instructor to continue his/her employment with the

Company, the Company shall pay the April instructor only for the number of days

worked by the Instructor.

3 During the probationary period, the April instructor shall be paid 100% of the total

monthly wage.

Article 4. Duties and Work Location

1 Duties of the April instructor shall include teaching and all other duties relevant to

teaching.

[FR-AP-NA-EA-OS]

2 The April instructor shall work at the [April Yeongtong] branch.

3 The April instructor’s duties and work location may subsequently be changed

pursuant to the Company’s work requirements. The April instructor shall comply

with the Company’s personnel order unless there is a special reason not to.

Article 5. Working Hours and Rest Period

1 The April instructor shall, in principle, work eight (8) hours a day and forty (40)

hours a week.

2 Specific working hours will be arranged by the Company after consultation with the

April instructor. However, in the event of a disagreement regarding the schedule,

the April instructor shall teach according to the schedule provided by the Company.

3 The April instructor may perform overtime, nighttime and holiday work in

accordance with the Labor Standards Act.

Article 6. Compensation

1 The April instructor shall be paid Two Million Two Hundred Thousand (2,200,000)

Korean Won per month, which includes the weekly day off allowance.

2 When the April instructor works more than the working hours specified in Article 5.1

(eight (8) hours a day and forty (40) hours a week), the April instructor shall be

entitled to overtime work allowance which is 50% more than regular wage in

accordance with the Labor Standards Act.

3 The above amount shall be paid only when the April instructor works the full

prescribed working hours, and for hours not worked due to absence, tardiness, early

departure, or other reasons, payment shall be made on a pro-rata basis.

4 The April instructor shall keep his/her salary in strict confidence and agrees to be

subject to any disciplinary action if he/she discloses such information to any other

third parties.

Article 7: Airfare Reimbursement

The Company shall reimburse the Instructor the airplane ticket (economy class) that the

Instructor purchased to travel to Korea within the first paycheck, provided that the primary

purpose behind the purchase of such ticket was to commence a contract with the Company

and a proper receipt for the ticket is furnished. The maximum amount of the airfare for a one

way ticket shall not exceed One Million (1,000,000) Korean won. Applicable Korean taxes

will be deducted accordingly for the reimbursement.

Article 8: Housing

The Company shall provide rent-free housing for the Instructor during the term of this

Agreement. The Instructor will be responsible for utilities and maintenance fees, and any

other fees associated with the housing during the term of his/her contract. In the event that

this agreement is terminated by either party, subject to Article 12 below, the Instructor must

vacate the premises within seven (7) days of notice of termination. Any costs associated with

Instructor’s failure to vacate the premises, including but not limited to rent payments, legal

expenses, and attorney fees shall be paid by the Instructor.

Article 9. Methods of Payment of Compensation, Etc.

1 The salary shall be calculated from the 1st day to the end of each month of the

previous month and be paid on the __th day of the month to instructor’s bank account;

[FR-AP-NA-EA-OS]

provided, however, that in the case where such date falls on a holiday or any other

days on which banks are normally closed, the salary shall be paid on the proceeding

business day. If the instructor did not start on the 1st of the previous month, then

payment shall be made pro-rata.

2 The salary shall be paid after deducting applicable taxes required by applicable laws.

Article 10. Severance Payment

If the April instructor leaves the Company after at least 1 year of employment, the April

instructor shall be entitled to severance payment in accordance with the Employee Retirement

Benefits Security Act.

Article 11. Holidays and Leaves

1 The Company shall grant the April instructor one (1) day of paid weekly holiday if

the April instructor has fully performed his/her duties (classes) during a given week.

2 Labor Day (May 1st of each year) shall be a paid holiday.

3 Annual paid leave shall be granted in accordance with the Labor Standards Act.

4 The Company may request that the April instructor work on Saturdays, Sundays,

other holidays, or beyond the prescribed working hours, if necessary, upon consent of

the April instructor.

5 If the April instructor takes a holiday during the following, the April Instructor shall

be deemed to have taken his/her annual paid leave:

A. National holidays and statutory public holidays under the Regulations on Public

B. During the Company’s summer vacation and winter vacation period

Article 12. Early Termination of Agreement

1 The Company may terminate the April instructor even during the term of this

Agreement specified in Article 2 if causes for resignation or dismissal arise.

2 If the April instructor wishes to terminate this Agreement during the term of this

Agreement, he/she shall submit a letter of resignation at least 30 days prior to the

intended date of resignation, and in order to ensure continued education for the

students, must continue to perform his/her duties until the Company accepts his/her

resignation.

Article 13. Rules and Regulations

April instructor shall comply with all rules and regulations of the Company, including the

Rules of Employment.

Article 14. Governing Laws

Matters not provided for in this Agreement shall be governed by the Labor Standards Act and

other labor-related laws.

Company: 영통에이프릴어학원 April Instructor:

Holidays of Government and Public Offices

I also have an Avalon offer I'll post with this, but to post both would Mad Max me way past the character limit.

Re: CDI April Yeongtong contract
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 07:43:45 am »
No. Chungdahm is a dump of a company in every aspect. Most of the complaints I've heard from friends in Korea have come from friends working at CDI (and Avalon, now that you mention it).

Just one example: They want to count national holidays as vacation days, and even then they strongly imply that they are not automatically days off, which they absolutely must be. (National holidays are not negotiable or up to the employer to grant.)

Notice how they say the instructor will work a schedule in accordance with labor law (or something like that)? That's fluff so they can get you to sign, pretending they'll follow law and be fair, then you're screwed anyway because they have no intention to. Why do I say that? Because just before they say working on national holidays is up to them, as if there's no uniform national law regarding mandatory work on national holidays.

Also, it says 40 hours per week for 2.2 million. That means you'll be working for about 13,000 won per hour, or about $10 USD. For full-time work. And they typically won't count preparation as time worked. So you may or may not be in for more time at work.

Also, notice they say that in the event of a disagreement regarding the schedule, the instructor will shut up and do what they're told to do, as determined by the company. (I'm injecting emotion into that one because it's total junk.)

And a good contract would say something like "The language of this agreement shall be English, and all issues regarding the contract will be interpreted in English." Places like this won't agree to that because they will have their own version of the contract in Korean, which will be totally legit, but in matters of dispute will refer to the English one you agree to, which will be totally bad. If there's an issue with immigration or the labor board, they'll switch back and forth, using the legit Korean one with immi/labor but use the English one on you to try to strong-arm you into doing the bad crap you agreed to do.

No. Pass on this. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:46:18 am by oatmealkooky »

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:43:42 pm »
CDI is garbage - it seems you've realized this just by looking at the contract. Your working experience with them will be all this and worse. Keep looking. If you want specific details, PM me.

• pjst
  • Veteran

• April 30, 2013, 02:02:07 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:20 pm »
What blows me away is CDI still offering this sort of contract, despite having lost a class action lawsuit for hiring people illegally as independent contractors. Would have thought their lawyers would advise them to start following labor laws but I guess not...

• TEFLOL
  • Explorer

• Georgia
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 02:20:40 am »
So am I boned?  I didn't even realize there was no mention of pensions or health care, now that I look at it.

Avalon offered me a contract through Adventure Teaching, but they kinda freaked me out both with mentions of unpaid but mandatory exercises or meetings or whatever, along with some complaints I've seen here.

These are the two recruiters I've worked with so far, and I was angling to leave in May. 

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 03:22:31 am »
which unpaid/mandatory exercises and meetings are you referring to? I've already signed with them as corporate seems very legit, pays on time and I got to email with one of the head instructors. better than Poly imo which has slave labor work hours

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 05:21:55 am »
Note that there is no mention of how many teaching hours you'll be doing per week.

You don't want to be teaching 30hrs+...you'll burnout before you can even spell the word.

No mention of how many days notice they need to give you if they fire you (but you'll have 7 days to vacate the housing).

Plus all the other bits mentioned above by others.

Run...do NOT sign.

• TEFLOL
  • Explorer

• Georgia
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 05:47:44 am »
which unpaid/mandatory exercises and meetings are you referring to? I've already signed with them as corporate seems very legit, pays on time and I got to email with one of the head instructors. better than Poly imo which has slave labor work hours

Someone on another forum responded that the unpaid shenanigans were nonexistent.  So are you liking Avalon, then?