Read 3154 times

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• January 28, 2016, 03:32:18 am
    • USA
JLP 2016
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:51:39 am »
Hi all, I've been lurking on Waygook for a while now. I've applied to Canadian Connections (Canconx) for the August 2016 intake and it will be my first time teaching in South Korea. I've passed the Canconx interview and my application was approved by the JPOE. Now I'm working on gathering hard copies of my documents to send in to Canconx. This is such a long process and I'm anxious to hear about what will happen next and placements. I'm hoping I won't get placed somewhere super secluded, but I'm flexible. I put Yeosu and Mokpo as my top two (I'm really hoping for Mokpo).

Has anyone had any experience applying to JLP ? Is it common for your application to be rejected after you've sent hard copies of everything in? Is there  maybe some sort of online community of JLP applicants out there? It'd be nice to talk with others who are going through the process now or maybe have been through it before. Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated !! :)

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
Re: JLP 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:07:14 am »
PM me. I'm JLP and link you to our group page.

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:21:05 am »
Thanks ^_^ ! I just PMed you.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
Unless they've changed the application, you're allowed to choose one major city on your application (Mokpo, Yeosu, or Suncheon) and the other two have to be more rural (Boseong, Haenam, Sinan, etc.)

If stemarty hasn't linked you already, there are several groups for those living and working in Jeollanamdo:
Jeollanamdo Teachers (All JLPers, but also includes many TALK and hagwon teachers
Gwangju (everyone in Gwangju and Jeollanamdo)
Ladies of Gwangju and Vicinity (female-only, Jeollanamdo area)

Other good female-only groups that are safe spaces:
Expat Women in Korea (female-only, all of Korea)
Girls Love Travel (HUGE group, strictly all-female, and an awesome reference for any time you're planning to travel abroad or want to make new friends.  We recently had a huge meet up in Seoul with about 30 women!)

For professional development and legal help, there's also:
Gwangju-Jeonnam KOTESOL (Meeting every month in Gwangju as well as chapter and regional conferences once a year.  Especially good if you ever have an interest in teaching at the university level later on)
LOFT: Legal Offices for Foreign Teachers (always good to be aware of current scams and BS shady recruiters and schools might try to pull, even if your school is awesome)

You will also be added by Chris to a Jeollanamdo Teachers April 2016 group, or something similar, so keep an eye out for that.  Many regions also have their own pages as well for local teachers, and there are also various themed groups for Gwangju/Jeollanamdo based on your areas of interest.  For example, I'm in a French group and a tabletop gaming group as well.  I remember Chris gave us a list of several of them at orientation, so don't worry.  You'll be able to make plenty of contacts, even if you're somewhere a little more rural.  The big cities aren't all they're cracked up to be :wink:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:15:12 am by nomadicmadda »

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:20:32 am »
Good links here! Some of those I didn't know about!!!!
Thanks nomadicmadda for the easy accessible list.

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:42 pm »
Unless they've changed the application, you're allowed to choose one major city on your application (Mokpo, Yeosu, or Suncheon) and the other two have to be more rural (Boseong, Haenam, Sinan, etc.)

If stemarty hasn't linked you already, there are several groups for those living and working in Jeollanamdo:
Jeollanamdo Teachers (All JLPers, but also includes many TALK and hagwon teachers
Gwangju (everyone in Gwangju and Jeollanamdo)
Ladies of Gwangju and Vicinity (female-only, Jeollanamdo area)

Other good female-only groups that are safe spaces:
Expat Women in Korea (female-only, all of Korea)
Girls Love Travel (HUGE group, strictly all-female, and an awesome reference for any time you're planning to travel abroad or want to make new friends.  We recently had a huge meet up in Seoul with about 30 women!)

For professional development and legal help, there's also:
Gwangju-Jeonnam KOTESOL (Meeting every month in Gwangju as well as chapter and regional conferences once a year.  Especially good if you ever have an interest in teaching at the university level later on)
LOFT: Legal Offices for Foreign Teachers (always good to be aware of current scams and BS shady recruiters and schools might try to pull, even if your school is awesome)

You will also be added by Chris to a Jeollanamdo Teachers April 2016 group, or something similar, so keep an eye out for that.  Many regions also have their own pages as well for local teachers, and there are also various themed groups for Gwangju/Jeollanamdo based on your areas of interest.  For example, I'm in a French group and a tabletop gaming group as well.  I remember Chris gave us a list of several of them at orientation, so don't worry.  You'll be able to make plenty of contacts, even if you're somewhere a little more rural.  The big cities aren't all they're cracked up to be :wink:

These are some great links! Thank you for posting. I'm definitely going to check these out :)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:36 am »
I applied to JLP in 2014 and I didn't even have an interview. I just submitted my application and they immediately made a job offer. However it does seem like most people go through a Skype interview process. You won't know your placement until right before you leave for Korea. You'll probably get a chance to email/Skype with the person you are replacing right before you go. Your placement depends upon how early you finished submitting all your documents.

Be careful about listing your placement preferences. I listed Gokseong as one of my lower preferences, and I got placed in some very rural schools in Gokseong county, instead of actually getting placed in Gokseong city. I also know somebody who requested Yeosu but got placed in the middle of nowhere in Yeosu county instead of actually getting placed in the city. If you can find the name of a specific school then do that. Personally my placement turned out pretty good and I really like my schools despite the rural location. But it could've easily gone the other way.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:34:47 am by robobob9000 »

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 07:06:24 am »

Be careful about listing your placement preferences. I listed Gokseong as one of my lower preferences, and I got placed in some very rural schools in Gokseong county, instead of actually getting placed in Gokseong city. I also know somebody who requested Yeosu but got placed in the middle of nowhere in Yeosu county instead of actually getting placed in the city. If you can find the name of a specific school then do that. Personally my placement turned out pretty good and I really like my schools despite the rural location. But it could've easily gone the other way.

I've actually been thinking about the placement possibilities a lot. After submitting my application, I was thinking that I much prefer Mokpo as my first choice. I'm wondering if I email my recruiter with this change preference they will oblige. Yeosu is huge and I don't really want to be put too far out, even if travel is easy. How did you find Gokseong? Did you at least have access to the things you needed or did you have to travel into the nearest city to get them ?

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 10:54:21 am »

I've actually been thinking about the placement possibilities a lot. After submitting my application, I was thinking that I much prefer Mokpo as my first choice. I'm wondering if I email my recruiter with this change preference they will oblige. Yeosu is huge and I don't really want to be put too far out, even if travel is easy. How did you find Gokseong? Did you at least have access to the things you needed or did you have to travel into the nearest city to get them ?
I listed Gokseong as my last preference because even though I wanted a city, I wanted to make sure that I didn't get placed on an island. Gokseong is a rural province, but it's relatively close to Gwangju (50mins to Usquare by bus), and it's also a major train hub so they have trains to everywhere in Korea. I saw it as a launch pad to the rest of Korea that most people wouldn't request because it was rural, and I was right...it's just unfortunate that I was placed out in the countryside in Gokseong county instead of actually getting placed in the Gokseong the town.

In reality it turned out okay. The biggest problem is that there's aren't many options for food, and I don't know how to cook, so I don't eat very healthy. I have started ordering stuff online to help alleviate that.

Social isolation is a factor too. Last year there were 3 other JLP people placed in my town, but they left and the government lost funding so I'm the only one remaining. I am less than an hour away from Gwangju so I could go to a lot of foreigner events there...but I'm lazy :p Plus, bussing stops around 9pm, so for evening stuff I'd have to spend the night in Gwangju, or shell out like 80k won for a taxi ride back. I have a fairly introverted personality though so I don't need a lot of people anyway. The isolation definitely gives me more time to study the language.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 11:17:29 am by robobob9000 »

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:57:29 pm »
Thanks for the honest response. I don't cook a lot either (although I do cook more than I did when I first started college... baby steps :smiley: ) and I love to eat. Hopefully I'll take well to whatever food is available to me. I'm trying to go into everything as open minded as I can, I'm just hoping i'll keep the same attitude once placements are made (which I hope is within the next month in a half! i'm so anxious and excited!)

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 01:36:40 am »
Thanks for the honest response. I don't cook a lot either (although I do cook more than I did when I first started college... baby steps :smiley: ) and I love to eat. Hopefully I'll take well to whatever food is available to me. I'm trying to go into everything as open minded as I can, I'm just hoping i'll keep the same attitude once placements are made (which I hope is within the next month in a half! i'm so anxious and excited!)

If you're an August contract, you probably won't get your placement until July.  The current teachers here haven't even received renewal paperwork yet.

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 06:58:49 am »
If you're an August contract, you probably won't get your placement until July.  The current teachers here haven't even received renewal paperwork yet.

Yea, I'm an August contract. I guess if current teacher haven't even received renewal paperwork yet then I definitely have a while to wait. Thanks for the heads up!

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 09:27:08 pm »

Look up some recipes or ask the family.  Bring a potato masher.  Hard to find outside the big cities here.  You can buy veggies here no prob.  How you cook them is up to you.  Carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc.  You can buy beef, chicken breast, but may have to go to a big city to stock up on those.  You can cook western at home.  One dish that's good is onions, cut up peices of chicken, rice, and oyster sauce.  (Cooked together.)  I herb ships to Korea.  Buy some Bob's red mills material for making your own stews.  Some veggies cut up, a bit of flour for thickening, some bob's red mills, some meat cut up, some spices (I herb, or big city), etc can be used to make some good stews.  You'll need a good sized pot and hopefully a good sized fridge to keep it for a day or two.  A pain in the @$$ Costco trip two or three times a year to stock up on things you can freeze if you have a big fridge like chicken breast portioned into ziplock bags and then frozen, ground beef portioned into zip lock bags, frozen cod, etc.  Then, buy your veggies and other dairy locally.  Also Costco is good to buy 3 or 4 big blocks of cheddar cheese, 3 or 4 large boxes of cereal.  You'll prob have to go to Daejeon and lug around some heavy bags.  Pain in the @$$ and a lot of money put down in one setting.  But the next 3 or 4 months, you'll spend next to nothing. 

• Lunaella
  • Waygookin

• USA
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »
Look up some recipes or ask the family.  Bring a potato masher.  Hard to find outside the big cities here.  You can buy veggies here no prob.  How you cook them is up to you.  Carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, etc.  You can buy beef, chicken breast, but may have to go to a big city to stock up on those.  You can cook western at home.  One dish that's good is onions, cut up peices of chicken, rice, and oyster sauce.  (Cooked together.)  I herb ships to Korea.  Buy some Bob's red mills material for making your own stews.  Some veggies cut up, a bit of flour for thickening, some bob's red mills, some meat cut up, some spices (I herb, or big city), etc can be used to make some good stews.  You'll need a good sized pot and hopefully a good sized fridge to keep it for a day or two.  A pain in the @$$ Costco trip two or three times a year to stock up on things you can freeze if you have a big fridge like chicken breast portioned into ziplock bags and then frozen, ground beef portioned into zip lock bags, frozen cod, etc.  Then, buy your veggies and other dairy locally.  Also Costco is good to buy 3 or 4 big blocks of cheddar cheese, 3 or 4 large boxes of cereal.  You'll prob have to go to Daejeon and lug around some heavy bags.  Pain in the @$$ and a lot of money put down in one setting.  But the next 3 or 4 months, you'll spend next to nothing. 

Thanks for the advice! I do prefer cooking a lot at once and then eating leftovers for the rest of the week so those are good tips. Daejon seems like it could be quite far from where I would be placed since I'll be with JLP, right ? Hopefully there will be a Costco or something similar in Gwanju.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:40:23 pm by vicki731 »