Read 35140 times

• timberrynz
  • Adventurer

• December 01, 2010, 08:21:43 am
    • Gyeongsan
Re: Thing I wish I could tell my co-teacher
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 06:31:14 am »
My coteacher in one of my grades is lovely, so lovely it's difficult to protest against her, so, in a nice way I need to get something off my chest:

Dear Coteacher:

Please dont translate everything I say, this tends to reduce the efficacy of my lesson, when kids can simply turn to you without having to use any of the grey stuff between their ears  :)

Also, (and I am trying to not sound egotistical here) please don't correct me in front of the students. (As I do for you) Please delay any queries until the end of the lesson.

Thank you coteacher!!

• baechu
  • Adventurer

• April 07, 2011, 07:29:46 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 07:38:43 am »
I know some of you (the younger female coteachers) have hellish working conditions here, but I'm always proud and impressed that you wake up and come to work with a smile on your face every day. You're tough as nails.

Dear old male co-teachers, your English is pretty poor. Your egoes are huge. You are, for the most part, not good people. You perpetuate an ultraconservative (even by Korean standards) sexist hegemony in this school that I hate being a part of.

Couldn't have said it better!!!!

• mryogurt892
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2010, 09:25:20 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 08:00:54 am »
dear co-teacher

thanks for showing me how to teach, ive learned so much from you. Every student I ever teach for the rest of my life will be indirectly influenced by you.

Also thanks for sticking up for my contract rights against my vice- principle!

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
Dear co-teacher,
Thanks for dropping into the English room once a week to let me know what's going on.  You're also the music and science teacher, and have a homeroom class, so I know you're very busy.  (Not sarcasm) 

Also, thanks for going into bat for me when the principal refused me holidays (to go to my brother's wedding) because it would 'damage the students' if I was away for 2 weeks.  Sorry I threatened to quit, I was upset :)

Thanks for bringing your smartphone when you visit the English room, so you can look up words to help you explain stuff.  You haven't been an 'English teacher' (foreigner wrangler) before, so thanks for trying :) 
In return, I will not make jokes about you being named 'Mr Song' when you're a music teacher  :D

Dear To my former co-teacher at my old middle-school, who was the reason I changed schools and hated Korea,

You're the worst teacher in the history of education.  You wouldn't know English if it forced itself suddenly up your rear.  You are unprofessional, nasty, passive aggressive, and a liar. 
You made fun of me to, and shared personal info from my medical check with, the students and teachers.
You slagged-off the former native teacher when you know he's a good mate of mine. 
You beat the students as a substitute for actually doing your job.  That one kid whose head you cut open will definitely remember you.
I'm sure the only reason you still have a job is that you have friends in high places and compromising photos of them.  Go DIAF.

Also, give up on all the creepy flirting, those second- and third-grade girls aren't going to give it up for you.

• wafflebunny
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2010, 02:25:13 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:21 am »
Dear Mr Kim

Please could you stop with the generalizations about my African heritage. Not all all Africans were blessed with good singing voices and being from Africa does not make me ever ready to dance whenever there's a beat. I think the comment you made about my frizzy hair was downright shallow and distasteful.

Hopefully you will become more informed about my culture through our interactions.

Thats All

Amen. I'm sick of the fun poked at us Black people. It's stupid. We exist and we're human. They need to get over it.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 09:15:49 am »
Dear CT 1
you made my life in Korea great, being the same age really helped us get on well i guess. your English got really good too. thanks for doing everything for me even helping me research bus routes when i moved to another school in another city.  You were GREAT and any other NET will be really lucky to have you as a co-teacher.
Dear CT 2,3,4
Thanks for being nice and taking care of me and treating me to meals now and then
Dear CT 5
I really enjoyed having you as  a co-teacher, the lessons were a little dull for me as your English is great so i didn't have much to do in class but you're a great person and friend and being able to talk to you at school was one of the best parts of my day.
Dear CT 6
Put bluntly...i don't like you one bit. you're rude, lazy and a all round bad person. i think your English inst good enough to teach "speaking" as  i struggle to understand you...so please let your future NET do that job.
Nevertheless i smiled at you and and say hello, knowing it is the polite thing to do while think this on the inside alone.
Dear new co-teachers at my new school
You all seem nice so far and I'm looking forward to working with you and i really hope that we can maintain a strong and professional relationship throughout the coming year.
내가제일잘나가

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:21 am »
Mr. K - You're awesome.  I remember the way walked around Gyeongju, holding hands in the springtime, while cherry blossom petals drifted carelessly around us.  Thank you for regulating those kids last week when you were out.  You're a wonderful CoT.  Our system of CoTeaching is wonderful and it's the dream that MOE had in mind.

Mr. L #1 - You scare the hell out of the kids, thanks much.  Strict, but fair.  You back me up and are a stern presence in the classroom. 

Mr. L #2 - You're sweet.  I caught you a couple of times sleeping in my class, but it's OK, I know you're busy.  I'd like for us to focus more on English- only instruction, because I know the kids are able to understand instructions.

Miss L - You really don't need that microphone.  Your voice carries so well!  Thank you for being there for me, you're a lovely person and an even better teacher.

Miss Y - You're awesome as well.  I wish our relationship was a lil stronger, but I  appreciate what we have.  You helped me out when I thought the Korean world hated me, and now I understand it's just a cultural difference.  I wish we could meet together more to discuss a more effective lesson, but I get that the brunt of the work is falling on  you because you're the youngest. I think you should hang out with Mr. L#1 , so you can terrify the kids a bit more.  I'm sorry your plant is dying.

You get what you give :)

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 09:37:00 am »
Dear Co-T 1: Thank you for being so professional and at the same time so much fun. Thank you for teaching me how to teach and for being so patient with me. Thank you for all your help.

Dear Co-T 2: Thank you for making me laugh so much every time we have lessons together. Please speak more English in our classes together. I cannot understand what you are saying to the students and don't know what I am meant to do half the time. Otherwise though, you're a peach  ;)

Dear Co-T 3: You are absolutely amazing!!!! You are so intelligent and very much a breath of fresh air. Thank you for all your help with so many different things and thank you for all our awesome chats. Also, thank you for teaching me so many things about Korea and its' culture.

Dear Co-T 4: I love how you laugh so much at the things I do in class   :D It creates a fantastic atmosphere and I thoroughly enjoy teaching with you. Also, thank you for being my translator in the staff room when I am having a converstaion with someone who doesn't speak English.

• tyl6r
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2011, 09:34:53 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:46:38 am »
ct 1 - thanks for being so open minded, and listening when i asked you not to translate word-for-word to the students!

ct 2 - thank you for realizing we should be teaching classes strictly in english (except when absolutely necessary)! we are a killer team, and our students are progressing like mad!

ct 3 - you're awesome! thanks for helping me out with all my random business, for being honest, and for instituting a true co-teaching environment!

ct 4 - stop asking me to do random, menial tasks.  sometimes I wear headphones with no music playing just so you'll stop interrupting my work every ten minutes with another question about the idiosyncrasies of English grammar.

i know are starved for attention, but the students are here to learn english, not listen to you lecture in korean for 40 minute blocks, without a single word of English uttered.  Stop hijacking my classes when you deign to give me a chance to teach.  these kids understand more English than you think, if you give them a chance and stop translating every word into Korean, they might actually stand a chance to improve.

Thanks ct 1-3, you're awesome!

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2010, 12:41:11 pm
    • Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:57 am »
I want to tell my co teacher how cute she is ...... wearing a headband....

.... and then lay it down all the things that are frustrating....

1. If you are going to cancel a lesson ...tell me in advance ...not 2 mins in advance ..... maybe an hour or better still a day in advance.

2. keep me in the know-how of the schools schedule ... so that I can make plans around that.

3. If anything at all relates to me ....then tell me on time ... not in the late hours of the day before the activity/trip or whatever is supposed to happen.

...and a positive note

4. Thank you for being there for me .... for the support you have given.

She is actually quiet a positive person ... second to my friend in Gyeonngi do
Amerz

• Rita.Kolan
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2011, 07:22:02 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
Co1: You have gone above and beyond to make me feel comfortable in my apartment, town and school.  I will never forget how much you have helped me transition into Korea.  I feel extremely blessed to have been placed with you. 

Co2: You scared the hell out of me at first, but I quickly realized what an amazing teacher you are.  I love teaching with you because we are a great team.  You know exactly what I am trying to say in my lesson and have a great knack for getting difficult English words translated for the students.  I  can make my lessons more interesting because I know that you have my back in translating and discipline. 

Co3: You are a fun person, but please PLEASE stop flirting with my boy students when I am trying to teach.  It's distracting to everyone, and I think it's just downright creepy - especially when you sit on their laps.

Co4: You make teaching hard.  You don't ever help me.  I practically have to beg you to come to the room when I am teaching to help me translate.  And when you haul yourself up out of your chair (making sure I see how put out you are from your videos) you barely contribute anything.  We are co-teachers; we are not 'the English girl teaches on Tuesday so I get a free day."  Help out once and a while.  I can barely teach each week because I'm too busy disciplining students.

• Harlequin
  • Adventurer

• March 23, 2011, 08:12:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »
Dear

Mr. J: on a professional level I learned a great deal from you and how to better handle my classroom. Your constructive criticism of my lessons were really appreciated and it made me a better teacher. On a personal level, however, you were a bit creepy and you discussed inappropriate things and did things that were grounds for sexual harassment...even though you said that because I was fat it wasn't. >_>

Ms. K you were a cold woman who did nothing and liked to talk about me in the bathroom when I did nothing wrong. You contributed nothing and resisted every friendly attempt for us to work better together and teach effectively.

to the rest of my middle school teachers: I have been really hurt with your constant advice about my appearance. For your info, in America I am average because I have a healthy weight...I'm not bone thin and that is okay. I don't want to run in the mountains nor do I wish to wear 10lbs of make-up. Also, grabbing my problematic areas was extremely uncomfortable and trying to get me to say negative things about the other foreign teacher was very inappropriate and unprofessional. Also, making fun of me when I got sick is terrible and speaks volumes about you.

to my elementary teachers: I love you all. Even though your English was limited you went out of your way to try and speak with me. Your advice for each lesson was welcome and I always enjoyed our time teaching together. You helped me to feel welcome and you never told me not to eat! You guys encouraged me to do my best and allowed me to come up with my own supplemental material for the book.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 12:36:50 pm »
Co3: You are a fun person, but please PLEASE stop flirting with my boy students when I am trying to teach.  It's distracting to everyone, and I think it's just downright creepy - especially when you sit on their laps.

Is Co3 male or female? Either way it seems quite inappropriate!  :-*
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Amerz100
  • Adventurer

• October 10, 2010, 12:41:11 pm
    • Mokpo-si, Jeollanam-do
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 08:57:05 am »
...carrying on from my post in April....

5. She teaches like a retard .... especially with the dialogue book she created ...which the kids have to memorize word for word literally .... on occasion running around like a headless chicken ...not knowing what the hell is going on - more to come ....to be continued
Amerz

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 10:00:46 am »
Dear Co-T

Please be nicer to the students. They don't misbehave because they are evil - it's just that you offer no creativity in making the class dynamic or fun. In addition, you don't trust my skills enough to use any of my suggestions. A clear, balanced point & consequence system is much better than screaming and slamming your hand on the desk whenever you hit your limit with the students.

We both know that your English is unacceptable to be teaching at this level - so please let me take care of more of the instruction in class. I know the students are "low level", but that doesn't mean they can't understand when I conduct a simple dictation test.

Please stop calling my other co-teacher in evenings and weekends to check her lesson plans. It makes her feel constant stress. She has the education and experience not to need constant observation from you.

Please hold the teacher's meetings in English - you are an English teacher, so it would make all of the native English speakers feel better if we weren't listening to your meetings through a translator.

• jon-anon
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2011, 04:03:23 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »
Dear Co-teacher,

I know you think its rude to correct you in class, and you don't like it. Please do not do the same thing to me in a class. Its just as rude when you walk into my class in the afternoon and do it to me.

I wish we would take the time to talk about our lessons before we walked in the room. You don't do this no matter how many times I have asked you. You always tell me you don't have time, and then get mad at me for not knowing whats going (on) in class. I can't be an as affective (effective) teacher if you don't talk to me about your lessons before hand so I know whats going on. This makes me look as clueless as the kids look and feel. I don't like this feeling. It frustrates me that you won't talk to me about your lessons and I don't understand why you keep them "secret" from me. I can't plan my lessons arounds yours if you don't tell me what your teaching.

I understand your resentful about how much I get paid. I know it seems unfair to you. But I would like to be treated with the same respect you expect me to treat you with. I went to school just as long, I worked just as hard to get my degree. I also left all my friends, and family behind. Being here is not easy, and I don't have the support network of a family here that you do. If you were in a foreign country to teach Korean without anyone that you knew, the same may apply to you. Please treat me with resepct. Do not resent me because I speak English as my native language. Your National school system wanted me here, if they did not, I would not be here.

I know appear frustrated nearly every day. Its hard to adjust. When people have a problem back home, we don't smile and just nothing. We tell each other, and are very straight forward, I can tell when there's a problem but you don't explain to me what I did, or what went wrong. This is frustrating to me, If you would just meet with me daily to talk about things, a lot of miscommunication that leads to frustration between us would not happen.

Lastly, nothing is more frustrating to me, then to be asked to make lesson plans, and then we don't use them. I put a lot of work and effort into my planning, and I want to teach. I give them to you, but then you never read them, and most of the time I do not do anything in class but parrot. If you don't want to use my lesson plans, then please don't ask me to plan. Its frustrating to me also to have you look over my plans like a parent inspecting homework and demand why I am doing something, and critize it negatively when you don't like something. I know you need to see them, and  I am happy to explain, but it would be nice to take my feelings and thoughts into consideration when you are looking at them. It may look the same to you, but I am teaching what I think is best for the students. I want to them to succeed. That is why I try so hard to teach what I know in English.

Thanks for listening to me,
  Perhaps things will work a little better from now.

(Ok - thats my letter to a co-teacher, without using colorful words, and exclamation points). But - I think if I could tell her this and she would listen to me>? Things would be better - what I have written here, is the main points of what I have TRIED a zillion times to tell my co-teacher.
so - who knows - maybe my co-teacher is on here and will read all the things we want them to know - and thats my thoughts on it.

I know this isn't helpful, but gorram it, we're English teachers, and your letter was frustrating as all get out to read!  Some of the most glaring mistakes are in red, there are some other grammatical issues that I didn't bother with.  There is a difference between the words  "your" and "you're".   You're not the first to make these mistakes on this board, nor will you be the last, but your letter in particular made my head asplode (intentional ironic misspelling)  today.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:41:58 pm by jon-anon »

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »
Good to see a nice healthy mix of ranting and praise.  Makes me feel right at home, because I have my share of ups and downs.  I don't have a co-teacher per say, but I do have co-workers who frustrate me one day and make me feel great the next.

As with any job I've ever had before.

Thanks colleagues.  Just try to think to tell the waygook a little earlier on changes. Although keep bringing the fruit, it's expensive and I love eating my weight in grapes, apples, pears, and whatever the English name is for 참외.  Cheers!

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »
NO-ONE - NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE - EVER SAYS "Take a rest". EVER EVER EVER

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 02:33:58 pm »
NO-ONE - NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE NO-ONE - EVER SAYS "Take a rest". EVER EVER EVER

Sounds like someone should take some break and go to home. "Take a rest" is all part of the lingo these days. I say it as if it's the most natural thing in the world now and, to be honest, I think it always has been.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 02:55:17 pm »
Frankly speaking, in my case I hear this phrase so much. Oh, too too much.