Read 35162 times

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
Re: Thing I wish I could tell my co-teacher
« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2019, 09:21:28 am »
Reflecting on six years of coteachers and I don't think I've ever had any major problems but I have noticed a pattern.

In my experiences, my coteachers have mostly been kind and friendly on the surface but as soon as I've questioned something, be it something in the contract, scheduling, anything to do with the actual work, their faces suddenly change.  It's really startling actually.  Obviously the recent argument I had was the worst but that sort of thing has happened a few times.  It's like when you question something, they can't quite process what's happening.  They can't believe what's come out of your mouth and they're straight on the defensive (and even offensive - "Well in your contract you must...").  Like I say, I've experienced this with coteachers who have been absolutely lovely and kind but in an instant they change.  Very bizarre.

My theory is that they want "good little foreigners" who they can pat on the head for being handsome, liking bulgogi and speaking Korean.  They don't want foreigners who stand up for themselves and ask questions and fight their corner.  I'd go even further and say that they don't even want to discuss the actual work, ie the reason we're here.  I never imagined how bizarre this working environment would be.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2019, 09:32:55 am »
Reflecting on six years of coteachers and I don't think I've ever had any major problems but I have noticed a pattern.

In my experiences, my coteachers have mostly been kind and friendly on the surface but as soon as I've questioned something, be it something in the contract, scheduling, anything to do with the actual work, their faces suddenly change.  It's really startling actually.  Obviously the recent argument I had was the worst but that sort of thing has happened a few times.  It's like when you question something, they can't quite process what's happening.  They can't believe what's come out of your mouth and they're straight on the defensive (and even offensive - "Well in your contract you must...").  Like I say, I've experienced this with coteachers who have been absolutely lovely and kind but in an instant they change.  Very bizarre.

My theory is that they want "good little foreigners" who they can pat on the head for being handsome, liking bulgogi and speaking Korean.  They don't want foreigners who stand up for themselves and ask questions and fight their corner.  I'd go even further and say that they don't even want to discuss the actual work, ie the reason we're here.  I never imagined how bizarre this working environment would be.

This exact thing happened when I insisted phonics be taught. I had to stand up for myself 2 or 3 times over it. It's really crazy!

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2019, 10:17:45 am »
Completely agree mate, most of mine are absolutely golden on the surface. But when it comes to ANYTHING outside of the contract/questioning the contract/role at the school etc, face like thunder. It's utter madness. They MUST toe the line at all costs. When they want something from you it's all cute and kind though...

It's so strange the way they switch on a dime. I always make sure to refer to the MOE as my 'boss' and make sure they know that no funny business will be accepted. If they want to make my life difficult, I'll give it back to them. There is no need for it. And If you want me to follow EVERY single detail of the contract, then that's what I will do too. Unlike the UK, common sense is just not a thing here at all.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

TDS - Hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs rational thought processes.

• Nolz
  • Waygookin

• August 03, 2016, 12:45:44 am
    • South Africa
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2019, 11:58:40 am »
Completely agree mate, most of mine are absolutely golden on the surface. But when it comes to ANYTHING outside of the contract/questioning the contract/role at the school etc, face like thunder. It's utter madness. They MUST toe the line at all costs. When they want something from you it's all cute and kind though...

It's so strange the way they switch on a dime. I always make sure to refer to the MOE as my 'boss' and make sure they know that no funny business will be accepted. If they want to make my life difficult, I'll give it back to them. There is no need for it. And If you want me to follow EVERY single detail of the contract, then that's what I will do too. Unlike the UK, common sense is just not a thing here at all.

OMG this is sooooo validating right now. I thought I was doing something wrong. The co-teacher who fetched me when I arrived in Korea was like a mother to me. She was so caring and always making sure I was comfortable and everything is going well until one day she asked me to teach an extra class without getting paid for it. When I brought this up she turned evil, I was in disbelief.

She said it to my face that I wouldn't get a contract renewal because she is the one who handles evaluations and has all the power. I recorded everything, reported her but no one wanted to listen to those recordings. Needless to say, I became known as the stubborn person who doesn't want to follow instructions and would live the rest of my EPIK life miserable as I felt everyone now side-eyed me.

Anyways...

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2019, 12:08:45 pm »

OMG this is sooooo validating right now. I thought I was doing something wrong. The co-teacher who fetched me when I arrived in Korea was like a mother to me. She was so caring and always making sure I was comfortable and everything is going well until one day she asked me to teach an extra class without getting paid for it. When I brought this up she turned evil, I was in disbelief.

She said it to my face that I wouldn't get a contract renewal because she is the one who handles evaluations and has all the power. I recorded everything, reported her but no one wanted to listen to those recordings. Needless to say, I became known as the stubborn person who doesn't want to follow instructions and would live the rest of my EPIK life miserable as I felt everyone now side-eyed me.

Anyways...

See, this is one of the reasons that these things happen. First, I'll preface by saying, yes, I know there are some totally awful coteachers out there, and I have worked with my fair share of them.

But, in this particular case, this coteacher went above and beyond what she was contractually obligated to do (being caring, making sure you're comfortable, etc, acting like a mother to you), and probably felt none of that was appreciated when you started quoting the contract at her the first time she asked you for a favour in return.

Like, if she was as nice as you said she was, why wouldn't you help her out? Especially if it was the first time. It'd be different if it was a habitual, recurring thing. But she does all that for you and then one day asks you to teach an extra class and refuse? No wonder she was disappointed in you.

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »

Anyways...

See, this is one of the reasons that these things happen. First, I'll preface by saying, yes, I know there are some totally awful coteachers out there, and I have worked with my fair share of them.

But, in this particular case, this coteacher went above and beyond what she was contractually obligated to do (being caring, making sure you're comfortable, etc, acting like a mother to you), and probably felt none of that was appreciated when you started quoting the contract at her the first time she asked you for a favour in return.

Like, if she was as nice as you said she was, why wouldn't you help her out? Especially if it was the first time. It'd be different if it was a habitual, recurring thing. But she does all that for you and then one day asks you to teach an extra class and refuse? No wonder she was disappointed in you.

If it was a one-time thing ok fine, but if the coteacher meant like the whole semester/year....that is a totally different thing.

• Nolz
  • Waygookin

• August 03, 2016, 12:45:44 am
    • South Africa
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2019, 12:14:57 pm »
She asked me to do additional class for an entire year, it wasn't a one-time thing. I wouldn't fuss overtaking an extra class just once but not an entire year.

« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2019, 12:17:44 pm »
She asked me to do additional class for an entire year, it wasn't a one-time thing. I wouldn't fuss overtaking an extra class just once but not an entire year.

Oh. That's fair to refuse, then. Sorry I misunderstood.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2019, 01:21:46 pm »

My first school tried that trick on me. Wanted me to come in each Saturday and teach extra English classes.  This was my response:

Please don't ask me to do things that go against what is stated in my contract. I am going to be feel very bad when I have to refuse.

End of story, never heard a thing again.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2019, 03:15:12 pm »

My first school tried that trick on me. Wanted me to come in each Saturday and teach extra English classes.  This was my response:

Please don't ask me to do things that go against what is stated in my contract. I am going to be feel very bad when I have to refuse.

Man, you got to watch yourself in Taiwan.  I told my Korean co-teacher about your Taiwanese school trying to get you to come in on a Saturday and she was dumbfounded.  I told the Koreans kids about them trying to get you to come on a Saturday and they were flabbergasted.  I brought it up just trying to make casual conversation with the cleaning ajumma in the elevator and she was floored.  The security guard just said to me now (he's trying to learn English, bless his heart)) "See you tomorrow!"  I said "Whoa! This ain't Taiwan, I don't come in on Saturdays." We both had a laugh but I could tell he was gobsmacked. 

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2019, 03:24:14 pm »

Man, you got to watch yourself in Taiwan.  I told my Korean co-teacher about your Taiwanese school trying to get you to come in on a Saturday and she was dumbfounded.  I told the Koreans kids about them trying to get you to come on a Saturday and they were flabbergasted.  I brought it up just trying to make casual conversation with the cleaning ajumma in the elevator and she was floored.  The security guard just said to me now (he's trying to learn English, bless his heart)) "See you tomorrow!"  I said "Whoa! This ain't Taiwan, I don't come in on Saturdays." We both had a laugh but I could tell he was gobsmacked. 

For a public school, depending on how many students there were, how much control I would have over the content, the length of the class and how much the extra pay would be....I probably would have agreed to to it, but no EVERY Saturday.  Perhaps every other, but....that would be it.     

I could see myself doing that, for students that would be in a rural area and don't have the same advantages as their counterparts in the city have. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2019, 05:08:30 am »

Sarcasm doesn't suit you. It was Korea not Taiwan by the way.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2019, 05:10:00 am »

For a public school, depending on how many students there were, how much control I would have over the content, the length of the class and how much the extra pay would be....I probably would have agreed to to it, but no EVERY Saturday.  Perhaps every other, but....that would be it.     

I could see myself doing that, for students that would be in a rural area and don't have the same advantages as their counterparts in the city have. 

It was for no extra pay.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2019, 05:30:39 am »
Something I find very puzzling is how some people on this forum continue to take me to task if I dare mention anything about Taiwan.

It reminds me of the whole Apple haters thing from Android users. Pathetic.

Just to remind those people that I only told of my experiences here so that people that are considering moving on from Korea can have some kind of knowledge about what is available outside Korea.  That is all.

I prefer here, you prefer Korea, great. It would be boring if we all wanted and liked the same thing.  It's just a country, sheez, get over it.

By the way OnNut81, did I mention that I have taught English in 3 countries and my order of preference is:

1. Taiwan
2. China  (students were awesome, government sucks)
3. Korea

That should get you all revved up for the weekend.     :)

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2019, 09:03:36 am »

It was for no extra pay.

Not even in exchange for extra vacation time, I bet.

In that case, no way.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2019, 08:25:09 am »
Something I find very puzzling is how some people on this forum continue to take me to task if I dare mention anything about Taiwan.

Just to remind those people that I only told of my experiences here so that people that are considering moving on from Korea can have some kind of knowledge about what is available outside Korea.  That is all.

I prefer here, you prefer Korea, great. It would be boring if we all wanted and liked the same thing.  It's just a country, sheez, get over it.

By the way OnNut81, did I mention that I have taught English in 3 countries and my order of preference is:

1. Taiwan
3. Korea

And yet, you choose to heavily inhabit a Korean teacher's website.  A site where you like to come on telling everyone how great you have it now.  "Hey everyone in Korea, I just want you to know things are way better now and I don't miss Korea at all.  I really don't!  In fact, you're my least favourite country to teach in." One could be forgiven in thinking that maybe there is more to it than just trying to let people know about your limited experiences in Taiwan. 

For future reference, I can't get revved up by anything on here after 4:40 on a Friday.  And I live and teach in Korea.  Confusedsaffer. with all you got going on in Taiwan you're on waygook on the weekend?  Telling. 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:45 am »

1. Taiwan
3. Korea

And yet, you choose to heavily inhabit a Korean teacher's website.  A site where you like to come on telling everyone how great you have it now.  "Hey everyone in Korea, I just want you to know things are way better now and I don't miss Korea at all.  I really don't!  In fact, you're my least favourite country to teach in." One could be forgiven in thinking that maybe there is more to it than just trying to let people know about your limited experiences in Taiwan. 

For future reference, I can't get revved up by anything on here after 4:40 on a Friday.  And I live and teach in Korea.  Confusedsaffer. with all you got going on in Taiwan you're on waygook on the weekend?  Telling. 

You missed the point entirely.

1. It was to provide information for people, despite what you claim.
2. I come here to read stuff and to use my subscription.
3. I don't have limited experience, been here more than a year, been to many schools and many places in Taiwan.
4. I tried to tell you that we all have different likes and dislikes, I am happy you like it there, I like it here, just a simple fact. Nothing to get all excited about.

Anyhoo........ no point in discussing this any further, let's agree to disagree.

Cheers, have a good day.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2019, 03:01:15 pm »
My response to confusedsaffer was removed for what reason?  Can people just complain that they don't like a post and have it removed?  Is that part of the TOS?  That would be pretty weak reasoning. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2019, 04:43:02 pm »
You're rude towards people a lot. That goes against the site's terms of service.

*********** TOS ***************

By using Waygook.org, you agree to abide by the following Terms and Conditions:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing[1]

[1] The definition of harassing shall be understood as (but not solely limited to) intimidating, pressuring, verbal attacks or otherwise unwanted behavior against a person.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2019, 06:58:46 pm »
I've said worse, to golizard.  He's a lazy, yet aspiring power ranger.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:46:31 pm by kyndo »