Read 35163 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Thing I wish I could tell my co-teacher
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2019, 01:22:25 pm »
i've always planned by myself. the k-teacher always got paid, but also never came

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:38 pm »
Yeah, this is very common.

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2019, 01:29:08 pm »
I usually planned by myself, but my coteacher would go shopping for the supplies with me and be at the camp with me. If my coteacher couldn't be there he/she would find a substitute who spoke decent English.....and my coteachers were always paid for their time, I was even paid sometimes, depending on the circumstances of when/how long the camp was.

• Colburnnn
  • Expert Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »
Oh and this is the one who is doing camp with me.
I'd love to have someone to share the load with for camp - instead of having to plan and execute a two week, 3 hours per day extravaganza, with an overbearing vice-principal breathing down my neck, alone.

How is it that some schools have Koreans and NETs working together for camp and other schools have the NET slaving alone? And how exactly do they determine how long a camp should be? Everybody knows these range from 3 days to 3 weeks or more, some for 2 hours a day, others 3 or 4 hours a day. The inconsistency/arbitrariness of it all is quite maddening.

OH no no no, maybe it wasn't clear. I'M doing everything. PPT's, games, materials. She is just coming to tell me how s*** it is and how she would have done it.

F*** this woman seriously. 6 other co's are sweet as a nut. But there is always one.
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

TDS - Hatred of President Trump so intense that it impairs rational thought processes.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »
She gets paid for the camp. You don't.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2019, 03:29:57 pm »
Most of my teachers won't do any extra anything unless there is extra money involved, and even then they'll be reluctant.

They don't want to use vacation time to be at a camp for 25K an hour? Don't blame them.  But not showing  up and being paid for it is disgraceful. How can you defend that? Or how about being assigned to do something and then not doing it? That's bad.
Well at least my teachers only do the minimum camps required, which is only 1 per year. If they got paid, I'm sure they'd make me do more 'camps', or 'supplemental' lessons. And the camps were scheduled during the vacation period during school hours. So, I am under the impression they don't get paid. Otherwise they would have made it on some random Saturday, or some other off-hour time. Which is great for me, no wasted time on students who don't really want to be there. Perhaps my school is cheap... don't know.

Also, it's not just English teachers that sometimes to do extra classes. You'll see the science, and math teachers come in during the vacation to do 'extra' classes. I've never seen anything regarding pay, but I do know for a bulk of the vacation they put it under 'research/seminar' or something, and vacation time, to cover most of the vacation period.

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2019, 09:47:13 pm »
So, a friend told me there's no more NET positions in Ulsan from next year, and that I should do this:

*cracks knuckles, exhales*

1st Coteacher:
You were kindness personified. The only time we ever disagreed on anything, you were gentle and respectful. I did used to get frustrated with you because you let the fifth grade boys throw things in your face, but as you may remember, I stopped that shit using some unusual tactics...and you let me. That was for you, girl, you don't deserve that bullshit. Your son was also the sweetest, most well-behaved child I have EVER taught. Our classes almost always went well, and you were so helpful to me and not resentful at all about getting me my ARC, bank account, etc. Thank you for being generous with your time and spirit. I do miss you quite a bit.

2nd Coteacher:
You teach second grade. Leather pants and a backless top? Really? Also, you were extremely imperious and condescending in the classroom- maybe that's why I didn't do "the special things do for [1st Coteacher]." I didn't ever have the chance, you see. Thank you for correcting my pronunciation! Oh, did I wrote "thank" you? I meant--

3rd Coteacher:
You are a monster.
You rearranged my apartment and gave me the silent treatment when I put it back.
You stalked me on the streets.
You told me I would be a "mean mother" because I made a kid stop hurting another kid.
You made me do the obstacle course with all the other teachers even though I had already explained to you that I have endometriosis and running during my period is extremely painful. Then you laughed at me for puking from the pain afterwards.
You called me between 11 PM-1 AM every night to ask me to make some bullshit like a "cha cha swing board game" (WHAT) for the classes the next day. If I actually had time to do it, it was never used, and if I decided not to, it was time for you to pout.
You never did decide- am I took strict, or not strict enough? Whichever it actually was, who knows, because it changed regardless of what was happening in the classroom.
You slept in the storage closet during class because you were too hungover.
You hit the students with the love stick, your hand, books.
You kicked the students.
You threw pens at the students.
Your response to my being locked in the school because I stayed late was "work faster next time." I had to call 1st Coteacher for help even though she was out sick, like, in the hospital.
You ensured that I had as little time as possible to work and eat lunch because "foreign teachers always take advantage." I had 34 teaching hours my first year. I didn't get lunch two days a week.
You made me eat soondae, you ****** toad. Like, forced me to in front of everyone, multiple times, knowing that i did not like it.
You didn't speak to me for a week because I did not buy you a watch at the duty-free. Specifically.
You didn't speak to me for a straight month because you thought I yelled at you, and refused to discuss the reason. When you finally did, you cried, and said that it was the most painful thing you had ever experienced. What had actually happened was that I said, "X-teacher, please wait one moment" because you were shouting over me when I was speaking to a hearing-impaired student, and he got upset. If my voice was louder than normal, it's because you were ****** SCREAMING.
You told me way too many details about your butthole surgery and that should never, ever happen to anyone.
You stole my printer and then told everyone I lost it. HOW DO YOU LOSE A PRINTER? Did I just, like, leave it at Homeplus or something? This is the one that really confuses me still.
You are a domestic abuser. The way you treat your husband, and crow about it, actually disgusts me.
You kept your grade level away from me for a month because a kid said they liked me more than they liked you and you got jealous. You know that's insane, right? Thanks for the extra time, though, because for that month I almost never had to come in at 7:30 to prepare!

I AM one reason you got demoted, but I am not THE reason, and I hope you know that. Other people know about you; you're FAMOUS.

Please leave me alone forever.

4th Coteacher:
I loved you. You really knew what you were doing with that age group. I have never seen such incisive and reasonable classroom management. You hated the textbooks as much as I did and had even less patience for ajusshi nonsense. I am happy you had such a lovely son, but I deeply wish you had stayed longer, because...

5th Coteacher:
HOLY SMACKBALLS DID YOU HAVE BRIAN DAMAGE? No, I really wish I knew. Ignoring two fistfights that drew blood was amazing. Trying to make students repeat the instrumental version of the Story Chant was amazing. Being hypnotised by gifs was amazing. Being unable to speak any English at all whatsoever? Uhhhhhhh not so amazing, buddy. I dearly hope you have retired and have someone taking care of you. I'm not mad anymore, but I hope like hell no one ever put you in a classroom again after you left.

6th Coteacher:
I really thought we were friends.
Fighting for you to get that job was a mistake because I didn't realize how incredibly selfish you were.
Your refusal to acknowledge or speak to special needs students was revolting.
You are possibly one of the dimmest bulbs I've ever encountered. "Rondon"? YOU HAVE BEEN TO LONDON. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
When you tanked my demonstration lesson for my teaching program and I panicked and had to call my supervisor to reschedule, that was not a reason for you to stop speaking to me forever.
When you responded with insults to my CoolMessenger messages, I saved them.   :)  And I sent them to the MOE.   :)  And they were genuinely shocked at how racist you were! I'm sorry I made you cry with that, but I'm not actually sorry. Ha ha. That WAS an embarrassing meeting for you, wasn't it? It was embarrassing for me, too, because it was hard not to laugh.
When I said I was moving to China, you pulled on the corner of your eyes and started screaming CHING CHONG!!!!! Even the fourth graders were like, "wow, lady, what the hamster?"
Your attempt to ruin my classes by sitting in the back and loudly sharpening pencils was actually kind of devious. Your discomfiture and huffing the next day when you saw I'd replaced the electric sharpener with a cheap manual one from Daiso was hilarious! Also, when you got covered in pencil shavings and swore in Korean and stomped out of the room, the kids laughed.
Remember that time you got mad at me for having a window closed and then you tried to open it but then I stopped you? Remember how mad you were? Remember how the kids were laughing because you got so so so so mad?
Oh, remember that time you tried to use your computer to book a trip on Expedia, but for some reason it wouldn't load, and you got so mad that I "wouldn't" help you (because this was after you went crazy and started spewing racist shit) that you started crying? Yeah, I was also responsible for that website mysteriously being inaccessible.
Stalking me on Facebook was creepy and gross!
You would hit your boyfriend and do insane shit like lock yourself in the car when he was stuck outside in the cold. I hope you're single forever because that's the worst thing that I can imagine for you personally.

And I sat on your coat and farted on it once when you threw it on my desk like Miranda Priestly and then walked out. I still don't know what happened there, except maybe you had a Michael Scott moment, but enjoy the fart!

Other coteacher:
I have written as much about you as I feel I need to. I forgive you and I hope you forgive me, and I hope you're a lot happier with your life now. I think, ultimately, we were both scared shitless and that energy conflicted with each other. I genuinely hope you're doing better.

k bye

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2019, 06:47:54 am »
You made me do the obstacle course with all the other teachers even though I had already explained to you that I have endometriosis and running during my period is extremely painful. Then you laughed at me for puking from the pain afterwards.

Ouch...though, why didn't you just say "NO"?   

Well, you post was the best (my best friend had a similar experience with 4 different co-teachers)  Which only goes to show, no matter how nice you are, how smart you are, how much you try to get along....Koreans will always bet here to sabotage you. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:49:49 am by NorthStar »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2019, 07:27:15 am »
"I love you!"

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2019, 07:34:25 am »
So, a friend told me there's no more NET positions in Ulsan from next year, and that I should do this:

1st Coteacher:
You were kindness personified. The only time we ever disagreed on anything, you were gentle and respectful. I did used to get frustrated with you because you let the fifth grade boys throw things in your face, but as you may remember, I stopped that shit using some unusual tactics...and you let me. That was for you, girl, you don't deserve that bullshit. Your son was also the sweetest, most well-behaved child I have EVER taught. Our classes almost always went well, and you were so helpful to me and not resentful at all about getting me my ARC, bank account, etc. Thank you for being generous with your time and spirit. I do miss you quite a bit.

2nd Coteacher:
You teach second grade. Leather pants and a backless top? Really? Also, you were extremely imperious and condescending in the classroom- maybe that's why I didn't do "the special things do for [1st Coteacher]." I didn't ever have the chance, you see. Thank you for correcting my pronunciation! Oh, did I wrote "thank" you? I meant--

3rd Coteacher:
You are a monster.
You rearranged my apartment and gave me the silent treatment when I put it back.
You told me I would be a "mean mother" because I made a kid stop hurting another kid.
You called me between 11 PM-1 AM every night to ask me to make some bullshit like a "cha cha swing board game" (WHAT) for the classes the next day. If I actually had time to do it, it was never used, and if I decided not to, it was time for you to pout.
You never did decide- am I took strict, or not strict enough? Whichever it actually was, who knows, because it changed regardless of what was happening in the classroom.
You kicked the students.
Your response to my being locked in the school because I stayed late was "work faster next time." I had to call 1st Coteacher for help even though she was out sick, like, in the hospital.
You ensured that I had as little time as possible to work and eat lunch because "foreign teachers always take advantage." I had 34 teaching hours my first year. I didn't get lunch two days a week.
You made me eat soondae, you ****** toad. Like, forced me to in front of everyone, multiple times, knowing that i did not like it.
You didn't speak to me for a week because I did not buy you a watch at the duty-free. Specifically.
You didn't speak to me for a straight month because you thought I yelled at you, and refused to discuss the reason. When you finally did, you cried, and said that it was the most painful thing you had ever experienced. What had actually happened was that I said, "X-teacher, please wait one moment" because you were shouting over me when I was speaking to a hearing-impaired student, and he got upset. If my voice was louder than normal, it's because you were ****** SCREAMING.
You told me way too many details about your butthole surgery and that should never, ever happen to anyone.
You stole my printer and then told everyone I lost it. HOW DO YOU LOSE A PRINTER? Did I just, like, leave it at Homeplus or something? This is the one that really confuses me still.
You are a domestic abuser. The way you treat your husband, and crow about it, actually disgusts me.
You kept your grade level away from me for a month because a kid said they liked me more than they liked you and you got jealous. You know that's insane, right? Thanks for the extra time, though, because for that month I almost never had to come in at 7:30 to prepare!

I AM one reason you got demoted, but I am not THE reason, and I hope you know that. Other people know about you; you're FAMOUS.

4th Coteacher:
I loved you. You really knew what you were doing with that age group. I have never seen such incisive and reasonable classroom management. You hated the textbooks as much as I did and had even less patience for ajusshi nonsense. I am happy you had such a lovely son, but I deeply wish you had stayed longer, because...

5th Coteacher:
HOLY SMACKBALLS DID YOU HAVE BRIAN DAMAGE? No, I really wish I knew. Ignoring two fistfights that drew blood was amazing. Trying to make students repeat the instrumental version of the Story Chant was amazing. Being hypnotised by gifs was amazing. Being unable to speak any English at all whatsoever? Uhhhhhhh not so amazing, buddy. I dearly hope you have retired and have someone taking care of you. I'm not mad anymore, but I hope like hell no one ever put you in a classroom again after you left.

6th Coteacher:
Fighting for you to get that job was a mistake because I didn't realize how incredibly selfish you were.
You are possibly one of the dimmest bulbs I've ever encountered. "Rondon"? YOU HAVE BEEN TO LONDON. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
When you tanked my demonstration lesson for my teaching program and I panicked and had to call my supervisor to reschedule, that was not a reason for you to stop speaking to me forever.
When you responded with insults to my CoolMessenger messages, I saved them.   :)  And I sent them to the MOE.   :)  And they were genuinely shocked at how racist you were! I'm sorry I made you cry with that, but I'm not actually sorry. Ha ha. That WAS an embarrassing meeting for you, wasn't it? It was embarrassing for me, too, because it was hard not to laugh.
When I said I was moving to China, you pulled on the corner of your eyes and started screaming CHING CHONG!!!!! Even the fourth graders were like, "wow, lady, what the hamster?"
Your attempt to ruin my classes by sitting in the back and loudly sharpening pencils was actually kind of devious. Your discomfiture and huffing the next day when you saw I'd replaced the electric sharpener with a cheap manual one from Daiso was hilarious! Also, when you got covered in pencil shavings and swore in Korean and stomped out of the room, the kids laughed.
Remember that time you got mad at me for having a window closed and then you tried to open it but then I stopped you? Remember how mad you were? Remember how the kids were laughing because you got so so so so mad?
Oh, remember that time you tried to use your computer to book a trip on Expedia, but for some reason it wouldn't load, and you got so mad that I "wouldn't" help you (because this was after you went crazy and started spewing racist shit) that you started crying? Yeah, I was also responsible for that website mysteriously being inaccessible.
You would hit your boyfriend and do insane shit like lock yourself in the car when he was stuck outside in the cold. I hope you're single forever because that's the worst thing that I can imagine for you personally.

And I sat on your coat and farted on it once when you threw it on my desk like Miranda Priestly and then walked out. I still don't know what happened there, except maybe you had a Michael Scott moment, but enjoy the fart!

Other coteacher:
I have written as much about you as I feel I need to. I forgive you and I hope you forgive me, and I hope you're a lot happier with your life now. I think, ultimately, we were both scared shitless and that energy conflicted with each other. I genuinely hope you're doing better.

k bye

YAASSSSS. Get'em!!

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2019, 08:22:13 am »

Damn.  #3 and #6... yikes. Thanks for posting.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2019, 08:49:11 am »
Does anyone else want to hear more about the leather pants and backless top coteacher?  :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2019, 09:17:38 am »
I wanna know if she was hot

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2019, 04:38:38 pm »

She did things like that in front of everyone so she could shout and bellow and flap her arms around and look really MANAGERIAL. If I had just left, the embarrassment it would have caused her would have made my already hellish life so much worse.

I wanna know if she was hot

I mean, yes. She certainly was. She also is the one (if anyone here for some reason remembers my old posts) who was always saying "pissing" when she meant "fishing."

I actually forgot my last coteacher, so:

Nth Coteacher:
You were a huge passive-aggressive, condescending asshole, but you were mostly pretty nice, just a crappy teacher, Stop using the fact that you have three kids as an excuse to not do your job; there are many teachers who have three kids in this world without the automatic grandma babysitting service that you have built into your life. You were really pretty and I always wanted to ask why you didn't shave your armpits, because you had really long and luxurious armpit hair, and I'm genuinely curious. Was it feminism? Too busy? Fetish thing?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:43:35 pm by meepmoopimmarobots »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
Quote from: NorthStar on Today at 06:47:54 am

She did things like that in front of everyone so she could shout and bellow and flap her arms around and look really MANAGERIAL. If I had just left, the embarrassment it would have caused her would have made my already hellish life so much worse.

I see you point and can empathize but only to an extent.  I can say what I would have done and that would be that.  I don't let anyone cause me pain, like you desribed.  But..that is just me.

« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2019, 05:34:27 pm »
Quote from: NorthStar on Today at 06:47:54 am

I see you point and can empathize but only to an extent.  I can say what I would have done and that would be that.  I don't let anyone cause me pain, like you desribed.  But..that is just me.

That's nice, honey. I'm so happy for you! Rock that white-male-in-East-Asia privilege!

Really, though, you need to understand that women are treated very differently in this context and, yeah, DOY I don't "let" anyone cause me pain. I made a conscious decision to participate based on my understanding of the situation I had spent over a year in, and then made a conscious decision to publicly vomit and nobly act like I was gonna keep going. I got many pats, coos, and sneaky soju shots, and everyone gave her the stink eye all day.

e: back on here for the first time in years and I'm already annoyed...ah, well. You guys have all the dirty details I'm comfortable sharing. PEACE
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:39:51 pm by meepmoopimmarobots »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2019, 08:20:51 pm »

1st Coteacher:

2nd Coteacher:

3rd Coteacher:
You are a monster.
You kicked the students.

4th Coteacher:

5th Coteacher:

6th Coteacher:

Other coteacher:

k bye

Gosh you had it rough, I have wonderful co-teachers here, I wish you luck in China, I taught at a High School there for a while and my Chinese co-workers were awesome, so I hope you have the same luck.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
ConfusedSaffer, I am not in Asia anymore, but thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed your time in China.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:34:18 pm by kyndo »

• Arsalan
  • Lord Admin

• September 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm
    • Alberta
    more
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2019, 02:48:20 am »
Thread locked and being reviewed.
https://REDThanos.com
https://www.facebook.com/arsalan.lavang.9

"My heart bursts into starlight,
like collapsing ecstasy."

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2019, 09:56:41 am »
      My coteacher had her students make me Christmas cards. I now have 2 dozen squares of construction paper, tinsel, and cookie cutter English sentences on my desk shedding glitter everywhere.
     Gestures like this are fantastic, and I wish I could tell how much I appreciate it. Unfortunately, she doesn't speak any English at all.    :sad: