Read 2334 times

• jocko6418
  • Explorer

• October 05, 2015, 10:50:22 am
    • Busan, Korea
Advice for planning adult class
« on: April 05, 2016, 02:36:01 pm »
Hello!  For the past few months, I've been teaching grades 1-6 at an Elementary school, but the school decided to start an adult ESL class for the parents.  This is my first position teaching, so I'm a little apprehensive about how to handle adult classes.

So far, the school hasn't given me any information on how many students I'll have, or what their English level will be.  All I know is that the classes will be 2 hours, every Tuesday.

Given what information I have, how should I go about lesson planning for adults?  I want to focus the first lesson around family, but I'm not sure if I should be focusing on vocabulary, grammar, or just overall fluency.  Any tips?

• kimchikiwi
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2011, 03:55:45 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Advice for planning adult class
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:44 am »
I found having a textbook to use is a lifesaver. You can use the topics and go through some of it, then add in whatever you want. My adult students seem to really enjoy the structure of knowing what is expected - plus adding my own thoughts into it.
I'm using the Interchange book series (last year we started with intro and now onto book 1 this year).
Good luck!

• toe73
  • Adventurer

• March 12, 2014, 05:42:54 pm
    • Gyeongsan, Daegu
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:51 am »
Hey mate

You may wanna look at something like the Interchange or Headway series, they cover all areas speaking, grammar, Pronunciation etc and are pretty good for adults.

With 2 hours the 12,000won or whatever they cost these days will be well worth it and will save you stacks of prep. You may even wanna get the teachers book if you want some additional ideas.

Kimchikiwi is definitely right the structure will be appreciated as opposed to just randomly rocking up for a 2 hour chinwag.

Good luck.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »
yeah headway's alright, but the teacher's resource book isn't so good (apart from the intermediate one? from what i remember)

i'd recommend new english file and cutting edge myself

you can download the pdfs/listening files from the internet and have a look, then just print what you need. the teacher resource books are really great too

teach-this.com is a good resource too

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 12:37:36 pm »
The internet is full of great lessons, and I strongly agree with the previous posters when they mention getting a textbook.

However, I'm gonna shamelessly plug the adult lesson lesson plans that I posted some time ago.
They're (most likely)a bit high level for random parents, but they are specifically tailored to the interests of Korean folks. They are conversation oriented, but also include a bit of grammar and vocabulary.

After each lesson, I would give the handout for the next lesson for them to look at or complete.  :smiley:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,93872.msg619030/topicseen.html#new