Read 299620 times

Re: Stuff My Students Said - please contribute!
« Reply #280 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:04 am »
I played a game with my students where they had to have one person use English to describe one of eight food cards without saying the actual word to their fellow small group members who couldn't see the card. The other students were made to guess which of the eight cards the student was describing. When having to give a clue to other students as to what card a 6th grade student was holding, she yelled"bread friend!" Somehow all of the students knew that she meant Milk. Then when she had to describe the bread card she yelled "Milk Friend!" Awesome.

When I play what's been dubbed the "Backs to the Board Game", which is kind of like taboo, they do the same thing. Actually, my low level students tend to do better than my high level students, because they do just this. My high level students try to explain the picture; for example, for a dog, they'd say things like, "this is an animal, some people have them as pets, they bark, etc." My low level students just say things like, "cat friend" for dog, "cat rival" for mouse, "Woody friend" for Buzz Lightyear, etc. Pretty amusing.

• Mlatte
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 07:55:07 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2011, 11:18:03 am »
I had given a miniature cake to a group of students who had won a game in my class.  Later, two of the girls (there had been two girls and four boys in the group) approached me with sad faces.  I asked them, "What's wrong?".  One of the girls with little English said, "Boys-eat cake.  No share!".  I asked them, "Why?"  and she innocently stated, "Because they are boys!"   :P

• KKelley
  • Waygookin

• June 09, 2011, 07:51:12 am
    • Busan
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2011, 11:24:16 am »
During an activity in which my students made up sentences using verbs ending in "ing" to describe photos I showed then a picture of Mr. T shirtless and flexing.  One student said "He's fisting." 
I corrected the student  "He is making a fist."

• flips
  • Veteran

• August 07, 2010, 09:28:04 am
« Reply #283 on: June 10, 2011, 10:16:38 am »

student (answering what his favorite dessert is and why): i like watermelon best! i always eat very much after meals. sometimes i eat watermelon instead of meals. it's better than ice cream. but you must be careful. i will have a stomachache or wet the bed at night. i wet my bed at night when i was young, and i often have stomachache after eat watermelon. but i can't stop to eat. i think there is a lot of nicotine in watermelon..

« Reply #284 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:13 am »
grade 2 students are all going through puberty! Lol

And  one  of  them  told  me  the  yesterday  teacher  you  "hot"   to  which  i  replied  yes  it is  very  hot ,  No  Teacher  ,  teacher  is  hot !

I  knew  what  he  meant  but  made  light  of  it  so  I  put  on  the   class  fan  and  made  a  joke  its  hot  , Teacher  Natasha  is  fanning  her hot self !   The other kids laughed at this!  I hope the fan cooled him down! Lol

• albie2011
  • Adventurer

• June 08, 2011, 11:50:05 am
    • Hanam-si
« Reply #285 on: June 10, 2011, 11:48:27 am »
T: Do you like rainy weather?

S: Yes, I do.

T: Why do you like rainy weather?

S: Because then all the people who don't have water can get water.

(Teacher shown that even in Grade 5 students have compassion and awareness of the world out there!)
"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? Mr Bennet, 'Pride and Prejudice'

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #286 on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »
during a numbers lesson
T: what comes after 99?
S: one hungry!

• jisun
  • Veteran

• June 07, 2011, 02:02:21 pm
    • Goyang-si, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #287 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
During a role play:

KT to student: You are teacher! Act! Act like teacher!
Student: (starts stumbling around with his eyes rolled back as far as they will go into his head) I am drunk!

« Reply #288 on: June 10, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »
S: Teacher, you know gay?

(as in, teacher do you know about gay people?)

• krystal
  • Adventurer

• June 05, 2011, 05:13:37 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #289 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »
Coloring pictures with my 5 year old students:

S1: Look, teacher. I'm touching his bum. (the bear in the picture)
T: Oh, no. Don't touch his bum, it's not nice!
S2: Yes, touching someones bum is sexual harassment.

Don't ask me how or why a 5 year old Korean student knew the term sexual harassment, or what would be an example of it!!

In a food lesson with first grade elementary students:

T: What do people in Korea eat?
Ss: Kimchi
T: What do people in Japan eat?
Ss: Ramyeon..... and sushi.
T: What do people in America eat?
Ss: Hamburgers.
T: What do people in Africa eat?
Ss: ......... (thinking hard) ....... water!
T: Just water, are you sure?
One boy thinks again: No, dirty water!

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
Student today in the break between classes: "Teacher, give me chocolate!  Give and take, give and take.  You give me chocolate, I give you chupachups!  Yes??"

Umm... what, so she wants to be candy-trading buddies now or something?  It wasn't in class, so she wasn't trying to get a specific reward, and I've never once given candy to students (just co-teachers), so I don't know where she's getting these ideas from that I carry trading chocolate...!  :laugh:

• lb129
  • Adventurer

• May 24, 2011, 02:45:21 pm
    • ILSAN SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #291 on: June 10, 2011, 07:49:45 pm »
ok so my best one to date is this

ME: ok class u have to name as many soccer teams in 30 seconds as possible ....NOT KOREAN
SS: so not man united?!?!?!
ME: ummm huh?

« Reply #292 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:51 am »
I asked my student what she was doing after school... she looked around confused and then like she understood it after I said it a second time, more slowly.

She smiles and says, "I'M HAPPY TODAY!" Sweetie I taught you what that sentence meant LAST WEEK ;-;

• jaspar
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2011, 08:33:43 pm
    • Gumi, South Korea
« Reply #293 on: June 14, 2011, 10:11:04 am »
I played a game with my students where they had to have one person use English to describe one of eight food cards without saying the actual word to their fellow small group members who couldn't see the card. The other students were made to guess which of the eight cards the student was describing. When having to give a clue to other students as to what card a 6th grade student was holding, she yelled"bread friend!" Somehow all of the students knew that she meant Milk. Then when she had to describe the bread card she yelled "Milk Friend!" Awesome.

When I play what's been dubbed the "Backs to the Board Game", which is kind of like taboo, they do the same thing. Actually, my low level students tend to do better than my high level students, because they do just this. My high level students try to explain the picture; for example, for a dog, they'd say things like, "this is an animal, some people have them as pets, they bark, etc." My low level students just say things like, "cat friend" for dog, "cat rival" for mouse, "Woody friend" for Buzz Lightyear, etc. Pretty amusing.

My favorite:

One boy approached me at the start of class doing some crazy dance.

"TEECHA, TEECHAAA!" he said urgently. "What?" I inquired. "I have to, uh, uh... DDUNG'S FRIEND!" he said triumphantly as he simultaneously made an obscene gesture. "Okay, quickly."

« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2011, 10:26:47 am »
"Teacher, it's 'dung time'."  Crazy students.:)

• rednumberix
  • Adventurer

• March 10, 2011, 08:05:57 am
    • Ogeum, Seoul, S.Korea
    more
« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2011, 10:29:33 am »
My friend is an Elementary School taecher and posted this one up on Facebook.
I thought it was funny so I illustrated it.

"In Korea, garlic bread is spaghetti's friend."

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:35:06 am by rednumberix »

• laizamaria
  • Adventurer

• December 02, 2010, 10:24:49 am
    • south korea
« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:03 pm »
During a guessing game today, students were 'armed' with laminate sheet and markers and had to guess professions per picture clues. One question showed pictures of microscopes and chemistry sets and a student wrote as his answer -    Rh = A B AB O
In all seriousness. I was more surprised than amused.
Spontaneity is the key to having a good time.

• travelinpantsgirl
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #297 on: June 17, 2011, 01:01:42 pm »
Wasn't so much funny as heart melting...
3rd grader jumps up (as I am checking homework in the beginning of class) and yells "Amy Teacher!" And I look up and she has made a heart around her head and says, "I love you, Amy teacher!"
OMG! How can I ever hate teaching after that??? I haven't yet but I'm just saying....lol.
I told her with a heart around my head that I love her too, but I said it in Korean...lol.
Teaching has it's rough points no matter where you do it, but kids can really win you over. These comments on here are living proof. I love it!
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

« Reply #298 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »
"my fighter is a firefather"  :laugh:

• cmc61
  • Waygookin

• April 01, 2011, 07:43:53 am
    • Jinju
« Reply #299 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:37 pm »
Teacher: Thomas, what is your favorite animal?
Thomas: Ummm...... my mommy!

Thomas was about 5 years old at the time.