Read 3230 times

• Ruan
  • Waygookin

• March 01, 2015, 10:47:46 pm
    • Sangju, Korea
Car Insurance (used)
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:39:13 pm »
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a second hand Hyundai Sonata. It's a 1999 model.

I have been trying to find out how much insurance costs and so far the cheapest I could get was bout 800 000..

Can someone that has some experience please give me some advice. Is that the going rate at the moment or is it too expensive. If so where do I go and who do I contact.

I am a 26 year old male.

Thank you in advance!

• Whatgook
  • Super Waygook

• October 06, 2015, 11:46:12 am
    • Busan, South Korea
Re: Car Insurance (used)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:36 pm »
Hi all,

I have been trying to find out how much insurance costs and so far the cheapest I could get was bout 800 000..

Can someone that has some experience please give me some advice. Is that the going rate at the moment or is it too expensive. If so where do I go and who do I contact.

I am a 26 year old male.

Thank you in advance!

Hi mate,

fellow 26 year old male who got insurance about 5 months ago. I HIGHLY reccomend you contact a guy called sami. You can get him through his facebook group 'Insukorea'. Hes a foreigner who gets car insuirance for other foreigners in Korea. Best thing is, its totally free!

it all seemed to good to be true to me at first, and I was worried it was a scam, so i asked him what was in it for him. he gets paid by the insurance companies, as he's got deals with them.

anway, it was super easy, Sami did near enough everything, and I got my 2006 KIA Cerato insured for 750,000. I know its a little pricey but it'll go down a decent amount next year. I used Lotte, but Sami will give you a list of options.

Anyway, hope this helps!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:01:31 pm »
Hi all,

I am a 26 year old male.

Thank you in advance!

Hi mate,

fellow 26 year old male who got insurance about 5 months ago. I HIGHLY reccomend you contact a guy called sami. You can get him through his facebook group 'Insukorea'. Hes a foreigner who gets car insuirance for other foreigners in Korea. Best thing is, its totally free!

it all seemed to good to be true to me at first, and I was worried it was a scam, so i asked him what was in it for him. he gets paid by the insurance companies, as he's got deals with them.

anway, it was super easy, Sami did near enough everything, and I got my 2006 KIA Cerato insured for 750,000. I know its a little pricey but it'll go down a decent amount next year. I used Lotte, but Sami will give you a list of options.

Anyway, hope this helps!

I recommend Sami also. He helped me with car insurance about a month ago and he's great! He gives you many options with different companies. I ended up choosing Dongbu for 3 months at close to 300,000. My options were expensive for 27/F no previous driving record in Korea but he quoted me cheaper and it includes roadside assistance plus my husband as added driver.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:05:14 pm by nataliekorea »

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 01:02:15 pm »
Eyyyyyyy I also own a 1999 Hyundai Sonata! :laugh:

So there are two primary types of insurance you can get, but you can read more here.  One is very basic and essentially covers the physical damage to the other person's car and their medical bills.  This is the minimum legal requirement.

Your previous driving record in your home country WILL NOT COUNT unless you were the primary insured party.  Which sucked for me, because this meant that even though I have had a flawless driving record for the last 10 years, because my father was the primary insured party, it doesn't count towards my driving history here in Korea.  Blows.

So for my first year I got the Comprehensive Insurance, which is the more expensive one.  I was initially insured with the same company as the women who I bought my car from, which was The K Car.  I paid 1,166,040KRW which was really expensive.  This year when I had to renew, I was late (INSURANCE IS COMPULSORY!!  The local offices know if you do or don't have insurance and will fine you for every day you're uninsured!!!) and opted to insure my car for 9mo instead of a year, so it lines up with the end of my contract this August. 

I also discovered (after a tire blew out) that despite paying for the premium compulsory insurance, because my car was older repairs to my car were NOT covered.  This really pissed me off because it essentially made the difference between compulsory and comprehensive insurance negligible.  So, this time around I got compulsory insurance only and am paying 650,000KRW for the year with Dongbu.  There's a guy you can contact on Facebook named Sami who can help you through the entire process.  He's very honest and quick at getting you what you need.  It was a lot less of a headache this year for me because of him, and I actually understood what my coverage was.

TL;DR

- You MUST have insurance or you'll be charged for every day that you don't.
- I recommend contacting Sami Tut via Facebook; he's awesome and very quick.
- Compulsory insurance should be around 650-850,000KRW for the year.
- Comprehensive insurance should be around 1,200,000KRW and up.
- For an older car, the "perks" of comprehensive aren't valid so IMO it's wasted money.  Especially if you have health insurance from your job.

Hope that helps a bit more, since we have the exact same make, model, and year  :wink:

Also, if anyone wants to buy a car, I'll be selling mine in August of this year.  Currently at 85,000km~
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:07:07 pm by nomadicmadda »

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »
My comprehensive insurance (the better, 2nd tier) was 800,000 for the last two years but I do have a Kia Morning, i.e. a small car. (it also gets cheaper parking, and cheaper tolls)

First year I had AIG, then when the year was up I was told they were no longer selling insurance to foreigners so I switched to Samsung. Then last month I was told they were no longer selling insurance to foreigners so they switched me to Samsung Anycar which is somehow different.

My rate went down to like 550,000 because I got a 30% discount for no accidents but I noticed that the deductibles went way up...anyone else notice this when renewing insurance recently? I know someone here mentioned that insurance rates were going to go up because insurance companies weren't making any money because Koreans were constantly getting into accidents, but I was a bit surprised that the yearly rate stayed about the same but deductibles went way up. Or maybe Samsung Anycar just sucks.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 08:22:03 am »
axadirect.co.kr
I pay about 420,000 a year. Great English service, online and on the phone. You'll probably pay a bit more but not much more, if you have proof of insurance from back home that will drop your rate. Their head English speaking CSR/Manager Jieun will call you right after you fill out everything online just to make sure you understood everything.

They have the best customer service I've experienced in my almost 9 years in this country (didn't take much). I've been with them for 2 years and have had no problems getting a tow off them by speaking English.

They also do travel and accident insurance if you're in need of that.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:13 am »
I pay a bit more than 600K for a 2004 Avante. This is at Dongbu who have a 24 hour English service. This is only for the basic legal minimum cover.

Also arranged through Sami. I highly recommend his services.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:13 am »
I pay a bit more than 600K for a 2004 Avante. This is at Dongbu who have a 24 hour English service. This is only for the basic legal minimum cover.

Do you have the number for this?  :shocked:

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 03:14:14 pm »

Old thread, I know... 

...I also highly recommend Sami for fixing your car insurance.  Started mailing yesterday about my needs and as he is in contact with all the insurance companies you can take your pick with who you want.  Everything is explained and depending on which company you choose you can opt-out of some bits if the company allows.  But all in all, really good and very helpful.  Possible headache magiced away.