Read 451903 times

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2700 on: December 27, 2018, 02:36:25 pm »
How are you allowed to teach a camp at another school and get paid for it, assuming this happened to a public school teacher?
Your contract is to your province's ministry of education, so technically all schools in that area count as the same employer. If you have your school's permission, there's no issue in working at another school.

Ah it looks like sbk taught the camp for a different MOE so they got paid. 

If we were teach a camp at a different school in the same area then I wouldn't expect to get paid (because we don't get paid for our camps; just our regular salary).

So...did sbk collect her salary from her regular job and then 3 million on top of that for the camp?!  Not too shabby  :shocked:
I suppose you're right in that we shouldn't expect it, but I occasionally do camps for other schools during winter/summer periods, and I've always been paid for it on top of my regular salary. :smiley:

Once i knew i had the free time i just looked up English camps on Dave's ESL cafe. I found one and applied. I got paid  for the camp on top of my usual school salary. I was lucky.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2701 on: December 27, 2018, 02:56:35 pm »
What a wholesome day where the Happy Thread is by for the most popular.

Much love from Gyeonggi-do, y'all.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2702 on: December 27, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
If we were teach a camp at a different school in the same area then I wouldn't expect to get paid (because we don't get paid for our camps; just our regular salary).

I remember at my first public school where I used to work, we had an English winter camp one year where my co-teacher hired 2 other NETs from 2 nearby public schools in our area to come help teach the camp with us. Those 2 NETs got paid extra for it, but I didn't. Another year, I also went to teach at an English winter camp at another nearby public school in the same area as my public school, and I was told I would get paid extra for it but I didn't in the end (I was supposed to, but the administration office messed up and never paid me, and by the time I asked my co-teacher to ask them about it, they told her that it was too late because the new school year had started, and so it was no longer possible to pay me from the budget for the previous school year (since technically the winter camp took place during the previous school year) -- so yeah, that sucked).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2703 on: December 27, 2018, 03:04:27 pm »
$3k USD = 3.375 million KRW

3 million KRW = $2,665 USD

(Actually a bit less favorable when accounting for exchange fees.)

It's been over a decade since 1,000 won equaled one dollar.

1000KRW = $1.20 - $1.30NZD last time I sent money home :p

You remind me of Zola.

Incidentally, looks like the NZD is somewhat weak / losing strength against both the KRW and USD. As your country's currency loses value, you can get more of it when exchanging.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=USD&view=5Y

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=KRW&view=5Y

I saw the USD part, I was more refuting "It's been over a decade since 1,000 won equaled one dollar." As you didn't specify in which currency :p (I'm just kidding around, so don't worry too much) :p

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2704 on: December 27, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »
$3k USD = 3.375 million KRW

3 million KRW = $2,665 USD

(Actually a bit less favorable when accounting for exchange fees.)

It's been over a decade since 1,000 won equaled one dollar.

It (the exchange rate between Korean won and US dollars being 1 to 1) actually got pretty close in summer 2014. I remember at the time, it was like 1,000 won was equal to about $0.98 (USD). That was the closest I remember it getting to being 1 to 1 since I've been in Korea.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:53:59 pm by Mezoti97 »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2705 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:11 pm »
Yay. I just found an English speaking hair dresser! Much easier now.

« Reply #2706 on: December 28, 2018, 07:23:09 am »
It's a happy/sad day today. 

Today is my last day at my country school.  I love ALL my kids there.  (Even the little rats that give me a hard time every now and again) I was about to head out when I received a call from my main teacher (different school) informing me that most of the roads are iced over (mountain roads) and that I shouldn't go to my country school.  I've been given the 'day off' since I have no lessons and the roads are crappy.  I should be happy but I'm not.  This was my day to say good-bye to my kids.  Monday is their last day and even if I go in next week Thursday to desk warm, I won't see them.   :cry:

Happy cuz I get a paid day off (yay! three day weekend) but supper sad that I won't get to say good-bye to my kids.  This is the worst part about teaching.  Saying good-bye to my kids ALWASY kills me a little inside. 

I'll turn this around as not to depress others.... IT'S FRIDAY!!  So HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!   ;D

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2707 on: December 28, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
I am enrolled in Designing Cities, The French Revolution, Geopolitique de l'Europe and Revolutionary Ideas on Coursera over the winter break.

Learning and getting paid to deskwarm.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2708 on: December 28, 2018, 03:19:41 pm »
My Principal and VP have just come to me and asked me to teach an English class next semester focused on music, since that's what my degree is in. YES, PLEASE! I'm excited for next semester, even though we don't go on winter break for another two weeks (and then a week of camp after that)!

In the words of my students (quoting someone, I'm sure), "Lezzgettit!" ;D

« Reply #2709 on: January 04, 2019, 09:57:38 am »
Just watched my 6th graders graduate!  <3  What a great day!    :smiley:  Happy Friday! 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2710 on: January 04, 2019, 10:07:49 am »
Just watched my 6th graders graduate!  <3  What a great day!    :smiley:  Happy Friday!

Nice! I have today, and 2 days in Feb left with my grade 3's (MS)!

My boss told me today, he really appreciates that I will correct some of his English, and how I usually explain the difference between the word he used, and the word I corrected him on!
Also, the way they inputted my vacation into NEIS gave me an extra couple vacation days! :D (not going over the contract amount, just not including weekends during my vacation time).

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #2711 on: January 04, 2019, 10:27:16 am »

Also, the way they inputted my vacation into NEIS gave me an extra couple vacation days! :D (not going over the contract amount, just not including weekends during my vacation time).

That's how it's always supposed to be done, every vacation period. Hopefully they haven't been stiffing you in the past.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #2712 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:49 am »

Watched my 3rd graders (middlers) graduate yesterday!   ;D
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2713 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:13 am »

That's how it's always supposed to be done, every vacation period. Hopefully they haven't been stiffing you in the past.

My contract gives more vacation days than EPIK, but includes weekends and holidays (so it ends up being roughly the same, but maybe 1 - 2 days more; at least before the recent change for this year)

« Reply #2714 on: January 04, 2019, 11:21:23 am »
Isn't it a great feeling?!! 

All the naysayers on this board that vomit, "You're not a real teacher"  "You being here is nothing but a dog and pony show" "You make no impact on these kids lives"  I know I've made a difference.  I've taught kids that had little to NO English skills, that can now carry on a simple conversation with me.  Students who at mid-term were not even trying on their exams, but at years end, aced them!  Students who hung out on my room after school just to practice their English. 

Everyday during lunch, my kids (3~6) would come into my room and we'd watch BTS MV's, fangirl, and practice English.  Students who wrote me letters when I was out with Flu for a week.  Christmas cards with loving messages...  These are the things that make being a Teacher worth it! 

I'm sorry for those who feel as if they've made no impact.  I was given an opportunity of a life time, and I will NEVER forget how blessed I've been. 

« Reply #2715 on: January 04, 2019, 11:46:43 am »
Isn't it a great feeling?!! 

All the naysayers on this board that vomit, "You're not a real teacher"  "You being here is nothing but a dog and pony show" "You make no impact on these kids lives"  I know I've made a difference.  I've taught kids that had little to NO English skills, that can now carry on a simple conversation with me.  Students who at mid-term were not even trying on their exams, but at years end, aced them!  Students who hung out on my room after school just to practice their English. 

Everyday during lunch, my kids (3~6) would come into my room and we'd watch BTS MV's, fangirl, and practice English.  Students who wrote me letters when I was out with Flu for a week.  Christmas cards with loving messages...  These are the things that make being a Teacher worth it! 

I'm sorry for those who feel as if they've made no impact.  I was given an opportunity of a life time, and I will NEVER forget how blessed I've been.

This makes me so happy!

I have also been feeling really sentimental about my students as we near the end of the semester. We've gotten to know each other so well in the four months I've been here. The other teachers at my school have told me how well I'm fitting in, that I don't "feel new" anymore. I am so grateful for the opportunities I have been given already in my career here.

My shy students from my first weeks here are now speaking confidently in class, my girls know that I love K-pop and like to watch the music videos with me between classes, and my troublemakers know  just how far they can go without getting "Annie Teacher Eyebrow" aimed at them.

It's been so great working here, and I can definitely tell I'm making a difference, not only in the students' lives, but the other teachers' as well. They're using more and more English and helping me to learn more and more Korean, and we're all getting comfortable with each other. It's really wonderful, and I am so glad I got placed outside of where I had requested.  ;D :cheesy: ;D

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2716 on: January 08, 2019, 07:31:59 am »
Last. Day. Of class.

Then it's 3 days of camp and I'm home free!  ;D
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2717 on: January 09, 2019, 08:22:17 am »
Last. Day. Of class.

Then it's 3 days of camp and I'm home free!  ;D

Nice! Vacation time for me starts Friday after work! :D
My 5 day camp isn't until Feb :D I guess we could have done it this week, however, my school was deciding on some special stuff for the students, and wasn't sure when it would end - so we made it Feb, in case the special stuff went on too long, and we couldn't fit the full week of camp in before my vacation. :p

« Reply #2718 on: January 10, 2019, 02:26:34 pm »
Nice surprise package from my parents  8)

« Reply #2719 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:05 pm »
Tomorrow is the last day of the semester! And then a week of camp, then I'm free! Ish. I'm not going anywhere for break, so I'll be spending a lot of it at the school, but that's not even so bad when there's no one else here!

And today, some of the other teachers invited me to go to our school's greenhouses with them. We all got to pick our own lettuce, so now I don't have to buy lettuce for at least a week!