Read 640055 times

Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #3220 on: August 13, 2020, 03:15:56 pm »
My school still have an English festival planned but we can't have the booths and performances like last year.  So, keeping in mnid that classes shouldn't mix, I thought that each class can make a five-minute video based on a pop song/tv program/movie/drama/youtuber parody etc up until next Wednesday.  There is also an art poster contest for my quieter, gifted students titled 'My Happiness'.  Then we collect the videos and show them live a tv channel.  So next thursday, in the broadcasting room, I will do live announcing between videos, also with a book reading quiz (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and another fun quiz, while the students watch all the other classes videos with their classmates on the tv in their classrooms.  I also made some adverts myself with my trusted VSDC to show in between videos too.  I thought after this year so far, it's nice to have something fun they can do together.  Really nice seeing my students coming up with inventive video ideas.   

All done.  And brilliant from the students.  All videos really good and it was funny to see all students wearing masks in their videos.  My adverts were good.  The live announcing was easy.  All went to plan except students spent most of their time making videos, so had no time for making posters, so I had to make an emergency video yesterday.  The only problem with a 'live' broadcast into each classroom is that there is a sound/visual time lag of a second or so which put a dampener on it.  But, anyway.  I don't suppose you can fix that unless you get shit-hot cables put in.  But on the whole, excellent.  The social-distancing English festival was ace and students enjoyed it after their tough semester.  I'm happy too because they're happy.  My holiday starts now technically, no stress tomorrow.  But I'm totally knackered now!!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3221 on: August 13, 2020, 05:25:30 pm »
   Went for a walk near some of the reservoirs near my apartment in between bouts of rain. There's so much to see!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #3222 on: August 13, 2020, 05:41:33 pm »
Beautiful photos!!

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3223 on: August 13, 2020, 09:40:47 pm »
   Went for a walk near some of the reservoirs near my apartment in between bouts of rain. There's so much to see!

Like.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #3224 on: August 13, 2020, 09:51:37 pm »
That's a very significant upgrade. I feel like using a Note 3 and a Note 4 would've been incredibly frustrating in 2020.

How so? Actually, I feel a little bad about junking it. There is nothing wrong with it. Sure it's a bit slower than newer models but nothing extreme. Battery still holds charge well. I don't do games. I'll be running the same apps that I have now. I'm able to do what I want with my old one. It's six years old which is not that much. Especially considering that it was top of the line technology back then. If you buy a good computer now, it would still be okay to use 6 years later. I'm planning to use this new phone for 5-6 years at least.

Congratulations! How do you like it?

I don't have it yet. Will receive it in a week or so.

i've been against wireless earbuds for the longest time, for some reason. but i did some research and bought some galaxy buds plus. anyone have these? i was also looking at the new galaxy beans but didn't quite seem as good (even though they look cooler and have a more compact case)

The store gave a bunch of freebies with the phone. One of them are the earbuds. I'm not sure whether I will keep them or not. They are around 150k so I feel tempted to sell them and that way reduce the price of the phone.

« Reply #3225 on: August 14, 2020, 06:37:24 am »
Super pictures Kyndo.  That looks like quite a young mantis as well.  Beautiful and green where you are too.  Just looking for some identifying bits ㅋㅋㅋ After my photos last time, and since the typhoons and the rain, all of the wildlife and insect life has deserted my area.  Nothing to see here. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3226 on: August 14, 2020, 07:53:55 am »

The store gave a bunch of freebies with the phone. One of them are the earbuds. I'm not sure whether I will keep them or not. They are around 150k so I feel tempted to sell them and that way reduce the price of the phone.

yes, i guess it depends if you listen to a lot of music or not. but if you don't, you can buy much cheaper wireless earphones these days

« Reply #3227 on: August 14, 2020, 07:58:57 am »
How so? Actually, I feel a little bad about junking it. There is nothing wrong with it. Sure it's a bit slower than newer models but nothing extreme. Battery still holds charge well. I don't do games. I'll be running the same apps that I have now. I'm able to do what I want with my old one. It's six years old which is not that much. Especially considering that it was top of the line technology back then. If you buy a good computer now, it would still be okay to use 6 years later. I'm planning to use this new phone for 5-6 years at least.

Re: it being slow - I have zero patience for waiting for things to load or open. My time is the most valuable thing, to me. I buy a new phone every three years. Admittedly, if you're not as particular as I am about things being snappy, keeping a phone for a long time isn't always bad. But slow loading / opening is super frustrating to me.

Re the Galaxy Buds - if you're picky about audio quality, sell them and get something better. If you're not picky at all, they're fine wireless buds, but you're not going to get anything impressive in terms of audio quality. My partner has a pair. She's the opposite of an audiophile - she loves them.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #3228 on: August 14, 2020, 08:11:00 am »
Re: it being slow - I have zero patience for waiting for things to load or open. My time is the most valuable thing, to me. I buy a new phone every three years. Admittedly, if you're not as particular as I am about things being snappy, keeping a phone for a long time isn't always bad. But slow loading / opening is super frustrating to me.

Re the Galaxy Buds - if you're picky about audio quality, sell them and get something better. If you're not picky at all, they're fine wireless buds, but you're not going to get anything impressive in terms of audio quality. My partner has a pair. She's the opposite of an audiophile - she loves them.
on the contrary, the buds always rate pretty high in reviews in terms of sound quality. also, if you want something better, you'll be paying more even more (considering the new note doesn't have a headphone jack)

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3229 on: August 24, 2020, 11:43:30 am »
I'm still using a Note 5, and normally I'd be ok with it for another year maybe, but the battery lasts for only half a day or so, and I really would like to get an upgrade on the camera (I like taking photos). With that in mind, I'm going to start researching which new phone I ought to get -- and would welcome ideas on which models I should focus on!

Also, I finished my 2 weeks of quarantine yesterday (woo-hoo!), and am enjoying not being trapped in my apartment anymore.
To celebrate, I took my very lazy and very reluctant dog out for a nice long walk along the river. Thought I'd share some more photos of things spotted along the way!

Hover-text enabled.  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:04:59 pm by Kyndo »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #3230 on: August 24, 2020, 11:50:38 am »
Great pics.

Life is beautiful.

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3231 on: August 24, 2020, 12:57:42 pm »
How'd you get the hover-text?  I thought that disappeared around HTML 4?

nice pics, BTW!!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #3232 on: August 24, 2020, 01:21:22 pm »
cool pics. ugh those spiders are simply called 호랑거미 right? i see them EVERYWHERE near me

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3233 on: August 24, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »
How'd you get the hover-text?  I thought that disappeared around HTML 4?

nice pics, BTW!!

The hovertext is this Webpage's (Simple Machines) independent BBC. To add hover text to something, just do the following:
 [abbr=Whatever text you want the hover-text to be] Whatever it is that you want to have hover-text added to[/abbr].
which results in:
  Whatever it is that you want to have hover-text added to.

And thanks!  :smiley:

cool pics. ugh those spiders are simply called 호랑거미 right? i see them EVERYWHERE near me
Yep. They belong to the Nephila genus. In English various species of the genus are called golden orb weavers (because their well structured webs often have a golden colour in the sunlight) or banana spiders (because... they're yellow? I guess?)

Fun fact: in some east African countries, silk collected from these webs were traditionally spun into capes for royalty.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:53:42 pm by Kyndo »

« Reply #3234 on: August 24, 2020, 07:38:36 pm »
I finished my 2 weeks of quarantine yesterday

What were you doing time for, if itís not too personal to ask? I canít imagine you were jet setting, but then again, maybe you were.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:45:46 pm by Don Hobak »

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3235 on: August 25, 2020, 06:40:26 am »
     No, my SO had unavoidable business overseas, and had to quarantine here afterwards.
     Even though I stayed in Korea, because we live in the same home, I also had to do a "soft quarantine". Soft quarantine means that while I couldn't work (I used up 9 days of vacation so that I could properly quarantine  :cry:), I could leave the apartment for necessary outings (ie getting groceries) during off-peak hours so long as I observed "all reasonable safety measures".
   2 weeks without any kind of face-to-face socializing was unexpectedly painful!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:35:09 am by Kyndo »

« Reply #3236 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:12 am »
2 weeks without any kind of face-to-face socializing was unexpectedly painful!

Iím not sure what this says about me, but when when I quarantined upon arrival here in May, I found it to be surprisingly easy...

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3237 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:49 am »
Saw my first wild snake this morning :D

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3238 on: August 25, 2020, 08:11:46 am »
Last day of school! GET INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNN!!!!! FREEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMM MMMM!!!

(*And 16 million won payoff) YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS QWEEEEEEEN SLAY GURL SLAYYYYY!!!!
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #3239 on: August 25, 2020, 08:18:34 am »
Where are you going next?