Read 640043 times

Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #3180 on: July 02, 2020, 01:59:12 pm »

So... I walked on, wondering what a pigeon thinks about as it approaches death.

:laugh:  It's good memories?  That time it pounced on a chip in the town square near the fountain?  That time it was chasing some pigeon skirt around a train station with its chest puffed out?  Thinking about why it walks away from danger when flying would be much easier and quicker?

Which reminds me of a time in class, or actually right before a class as kids were streaming into the room (we had a separate English room). One of the first boys to walk in spied a humongous black spider by the feet of his desk. Of course he flamboyantly freaked out, which got other kids to rush over excitedly, which was not the tenor I usually aimed to commence my classes with. I am usually the type to try to capture spiders and toss them out the window, but fearful of spending the next ten minutes trying to get the class under control after a protracted rescue mission,

I was invigilating a test in my middle school years ago, and I could see on the other side of the blind was a massive bee crawling around.  I knew if it came around the other side of the blind and flew around the classroom, then it'd be bedlam in the test.  So I managed to keep it that and then slowly slide open the window and coax it outside without disturbing or letting the students see what I was doing. 

I swiftly grabbed a piece of paper, placed it over the spider, and stomped on it. It seemed to do the trick, but after class a particularly sensitive student came up to me and pleaded, “you didn’t have to kill it,” with a crushed look on her face  :sad:

>:(  you bastard.  I hope a telling off from an elementary age student put you in your place!   :laugh:

I save everything but I only kill mosquitoes, if only for the fact If I get bitten then the bite becomes swollen, but if I see one I sitting on the wall I do make a point of checking to see if it's male or female.  The males are hopeless and don't do anything, so I leave them.  Also, if there is a really windy spring, then mosquito eggs don't sit in the still water enough to hatch, as they get blown away.  Or if the spring is too dry then there isn't enough water to lay eggs in.  You can see a noticeable different depending on the conditions in spring. 

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #3181 on: July 02, 2020, 02:02:55 pm »
Cockroaches can **** off and when  I see them they will die
Unfortunately I have a debilitating roach phobia. (Username doesn't check out, I know)

I can tolerate the sight of a German roach (the small ones) well enough, but big old Periplaneta Americana is my kryptonite. Luckily I haven't had too many run-ins in Korea. Though I have seen a few in the streets now that summer is approaching. I've been very careful not to reveal this phobia to my students, just in case one of them is brave enough to catch one and terrorize me with it.

In South Africa I had a girlfriend who caught a massive roach in her bare hands and chucked it out the window.

« Reply #3182 on: July 03, 2020, 06:24:54 am »
Actually, along the animal theme, I saw this article in the Guardian this morning...

Every dog year not equivalent to seven human years, scientists find

Study of DNA changes in labradors suggests puppies age much faster than older dogs

Dogs do not simply age at seven times the rate of humans, scientists have found in a study that reveals young dogs might be “older” than previously thought.
The findings suggest a one-year-old puppy is actually about 30 in “human years” – an age when humans, at least, might be expected to have stopped running riot with the toilet paper.

Writing in the journal Cell Systems, researchers at the University of California San Diego’s school of medicine describe how they focused on epigenetic changes to DNA – modifications that don’t change the DNA sequence but can switch genes on or off. The team looked at the way particular molecules, called methyl groups, accumulated in certain areas of the human genome over time and compared them with how they accumulated in similar areas in the dog genome.

The results, which draw on genetic data from about 100 labrador retrievers from puppies to elderly animals, reveal every dog year is not equivalent to seven human years.

Instead, dogs show far more rapid accumulation of methyl groups in their genome than humans within their first year or so, suggesting they age at a much faster rate. However, as time passes, the rate of ageing in dogs, compared with humans, slows down.

The findings suggest a one-year-old dog would have a “human age” of about 30, while by the age of four they’d be about 54 in “human years”, and by 14 they would be on a par with a human in their mid-70s.

The findings suggest a one-year-old dog would have a “human age” of about 30, while by the age of four they’d be about 54 in “human years”, and by 14 they would be on a par with a human in their mid-70s.

The relationship, the team say, is described by the formula: human age = 16 ln(dog_age) + 31. In maths, ln refers to the natural logarithm of a number.

The team says the work now needs to be repeated in other breeds of dog. But, they say, for young and old dogs, the age relationship seems to reflect the times at which humans and dogs experience particular milestones.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/02/every-human-year-not-equivalent-to-seven-dog-years-scientists-find

Interesting.  As someone who grew up with two labrador retrievers, one lived for 11 years and then after we had another one who lived for 13 years, I can understand where they're coming from.  Even their bark breaking during their first year, which I would assume was their terrible teens. 

« Reply #3183 on: July 06, 2020, 06:45:25 am »
A few pictures from walking at the weekend.  (The squirrel one is from a few weeks ago, who may I add are really bad-tempered)

And my favourite....

Never seen a dragonfly with a completely coloured body and head.  Bum?  Yes.  But this was a very cool looking dragonfly. 

« Reply #3184 on: July 06, 2020, 08:53:52 am »
Now I feel bad for ragging on the local squirrel gazers earlier.

This showed up in my Pocket feed today; thought you might enjoy: gizmodo.com/a-viral-new-bird-song-in-canada-is-causing-sparrows-t-1844245103

Also, the other day I ran across a full grown mamushi sunning on a stepping stone of a stream bridge I was about to cross. It caused me to reroute my run to a more populated path.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:07:25 am by Don Hobak »

« Reply #3185 on: July 06, 2020, 09:27:12 am »
Now I feel bad for ragging in the local squirrel gazers earlier.

This showed up in my Pocket feed today; thought you might enjoy: gizmodo.com/a-viral-new-bird-song-in-canada-is-causing-sparrows-t-1844245103

Also, the other day I ran across a full grown mamushi sunning on a stepping stone of a stream bridge I was about to cross. It caused me to reroute my run to a more populated path.

Those squirrels are always cross.  They always click and wag their tails at you, basically telling you to do one. 

The bird in that video had a lovely song.   :-* Actually, I wrote in the other thread about my 2/2 rating for saving/dying with birds that get into my school building.  Well, this morning I saved one.  It took about 15 minutes, but he got out safely.  3/2

Donnervan, you should try running with a lit torch, so you can ward off any snakes, like in Indiana Jones. 

« Reply #3186 on: July 06, 2020, 10:11:25 am »
Oh, I never leave home without my tiki torch~

« Reply #3187 on: July 06, 2020, 11:36:53 am »

Then, if asked, you can say you're running the Olympic flame for the Korean part.  Get them to join you, but making sure you sprint like hell on your home straight, or you'll turn up at your house with a load of sweaty stragglers and thus one angry wife.  'Ah, nampyeon, not again!  >:(

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3188 on: July 06, 2020, 11:42:48 am »

Ah, here you are!

« Reply #3189 on: July 06, 2020, 01:36:17 pm »
You wouldn’t believe how well that jacket wicks!

And @ronnie, I like how in your imagining of my homestead my wife addresses me literally as “husband”  ;D

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #3190 on: July 06, 2020, 01:47:56 pm »
You wouldn’t believe how well that jacket wicks!

And @ronnie, I like how in your imagining of my homestead my wife addresses me literally as “husband”  ;D

You mean Magic Jacket?  Oh yeah, it works....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lauz2_0TOXM

« Reply #3191 on: July 06, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »
found out that I passed my taekwondo test and finished my graduate courses for the semester, so although there are some annoyances today with it being Monday and all.....still some good things

« Reply #3192 on: July 06, 2020, 03:33:17 pm »

Hmmmmm... 여보?  자기?  달링?  오빠? 나의 사랑하는 사람?  꿀물? 

Or just 돈?

Or if angry, just 야 바보자식아!

« Reply #3193 on: July 06, 2020, 06:08:45 pm »
It’s usually “gnome” this or “gnome” that. Real cutesy lovey-dovey stuff  :smiley:

« Reply #3194 on: July 09, 2020, 08:26:00 am »
 ;D  I just walked past the music room while a lesson was going on and recognised some piano tune being played....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxI4KK9ZYo

Now, i can't imagine that the music teacher will be teaching the students about the dangers of heroin.

But, had images of Renton....'I just wanna another fuking hit'

:laugh:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3195 on: July 09, 2020, 08:40:18 am »
Now, i can't imagine that the music teacher will be teaching the students about the dangers of heroin

Jeanny was a spoiled young brat, she thought she knew it all.
She smoked mentholated cigarettes, and she had sex in the hall.
But she was not my kind or even of my sign,
The kind of animal that I would be about
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3196 on: July 11, 2020, 06:38:17 pm »
Gf's daughter just won "Best Child Artist in Cheonan (8 and under division)"

Considering she's 4, she's punching WELL above her weight.

300 000₩ in Trad Market Gift Coupons.

Hanwoo steak it is.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #3197 on: July 13, 2020, 08:18:05 am »
i finally found a skatepark near my apartment! there's a ledge where i can practice grinds, but no manny pad :( better than nothing though! maybe i'll even try ramp stuff, but i've never done that before

« Reply #3198 on: July 13, 2020, 10:32:25 am »
my school computer was just replaced with a new one......yay

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3199 on: July 13, 2020, 10:38:14 am »
I'm really digging all the nature pics on the "What are you doing during these strange virus times?" thread. Keep them coming!