Read 640044 times

Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #3160 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:06 am »
All this talk of appreciating nature reminds me of two recent occasions in which I witnessed locals with their heads cocked back gawking and excitedly snapping pictures with their phones to capture a glance of a rare wild beast: squirrels. Though it should be said they weren’t the little chipmunky looking ones (are those *not* actual chipmunks, btw??) But the larger, dark brown ones with white bellies.

And though I can’t call myself a birdwatcher, I do get excited at the sight of an uncommon variety. Can anybody say what species I might have happened upon at the park the other day? (See photo.) Also, when walking along the stream-side trail I could see from a distance a magpie doing some sort of 무당 dance around brown blob in the center of the trail. As I approached, the magpie retreated to perch on a nearby tree and that apparent blob in sharper focus turned out to be a coiled snake. Can anybody say what I came across here? (See other photo.)

*I couldn’t get any closer to the bird to take a clearer photo without it flying off. I also have no idea why it uploads upside down here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:37:08 am by Don Hobak »

« Reply #3161 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:45 am »
I think that snake is a 살무사  or in Japan they call it a Mamushi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamushi

But it was tiny, right?  Unless that screw in the decking is massive. 

The picture isn't so clear, but that bird looks a bit like a Eurasian Hoopoe?

« Reply #3162 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:58 am »
I think that snake is a 살무사  or in Japan they call it a Mamushi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamushi

But it was tiny, right?  Unless that screw in the decking is massive. 

The picture isn't so clear, but that bird looks a bit like a Eurasian Hoopoe?

Yeah, it was as small at the screw indicates, and thank goodness for the fortuitous placement of that screw — I wasn’t about the drop a nickel next to the little fella! Just a hatchling perhaps? Luckily I (and pregnant wife!) didn’t get any closer to the sucker; Wikipedia tells me they’re rather venomous. Mad respect for that tenacious magpie, though. At one point two magpies were taking stabs at him and I couldn’t tell if they were working in concert or in competition.

And yes, the hoopoe looks to be exactly right. Quite an eye you have! I have no idea how rare these birds actually are around here, but nearly all of my Korea living experience has been Seoul and Suwon. Not exactly Meccas of wildlife. New to me, anyway, and a welcome diversion from the usual pigeon and magpie.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:19:26 am by Don Hobak »

« Reply #3163 on: July 02, 2020, 11:30:43 am »
Mad respect for that tenacious magpie, though. At one point two magpies were taking stabs at him and I couldnít tell if they were working in concert or in competition.

A couple of weekends ago, I was eating lunch with my windows open and those windows look out onto the top of a lower block.  I could hear a kind of screeching sound coming from that other roof top.  When I looked it was a couple of hawks eating what appeared to be some baby chicks they'd carried up there from some other unfortunate bird's nest.  Fuuckers.  Just reminded me of this Family Guy thing...

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3164 on: July 02, 2020, 11:34:31 am »
that family guy thing reminds me of planet earth with Snoop Dogg

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3165 on: July 02, 2020, 12:06:34 pm »
A couple of weekends ago, I was eating lunch with my windows open and those windows look out onto the top of a lower block.  I could hear a kind of screeching sound coming from that other roof top.  When I looked it was a couple of hawks eating what appeared to be some baby chicks they'd carried up there from some other unfortunate bird's nest.

Last week I was running on the path along the river when I noticed a bird in the bushes nearby. It was one of those beautiful wood doves that looked to have been mauled by a hawk (which in turn had probably flown off when a pedestrian passed by-- a cat would have dragged it along with it). Anyway, the bird was severely injured: gut torn open, entrails hanging out, wings broken, eye gouged out etc. and was clearly going to suffer intensely for a few hours before very inevitably dying. I killed it with a big rock and felt like crap for the rest of the day. Nature can be brutal.  :sad:

« Reply #3166 on: July 02, 2020, 12:15:13 pm »
   Last week I was running on the path along the river when I noticed a bird in the bushes nearby. It was one of those beautiful wood doves that looked to have been mauled by a hawk (which in turn had probably flown off when a pedestrian passed by-- a cat would have dragged it along with it). Anyway, the bird was severely injured: gut torn open, entrails hanging out, wings broken, eye gouged out etc. and was clearly going to suffer intensely for a few hours before very inevitably dying. I killed it with a big rock and felt like crap for the rest of the day. Nature can be brutal.  :sad:

Only a person who truly cared about animals would've done what you did, big ups for being man enough to do what needed to be done.

« Reply #3167 on: July 02, 2020, 12:27:20 pm »

Big props Kyndo!!  :-*

Yeh, it's tough and I understand that kind of guilt.  There seems to be a problem with birds getting into and flying around my building here at school, I'm 2/2 for getting them out alive.  It's really tricky, because they have a habit of just flying straight into windows and breaking their necks.  One a couple of years ago, did just that.  I and another teacher tried luring it out, it smacked into a window and died.  So the teacher just tossed it outside (0/1) Another time last year, when a magpie flew in.  The cleaning lady was there saying '잡아 잡아!', not sure how I'm supposed to catch a fukcing magpie.  But I opened the biggest window and managed to guide it out.  (1/1)  Then in May, a small bird flew in.  Having flashbacks of the previous little one, after 5 minutes I managed to herd it into the big hall and closed all curtains except one, and opened that window and then it flew out (2/1).  Then last month, one little bird was flying around my classroom when I came back from class.  While I was opening the only window (that doesn't have a fixed mosquito net) and he flew smack into the window on the other side of the classroom where the corridor is, and looked a bit dazed on the floor.  Then I tried to herd it out of the open window only for it to miss it and fly full force into the one next to it, breaking its neck and lying dead on the floor.  I put it outside, and felt bad for the rest of the day. (2/2) I couldn't afford the full on 장례식홀 for it, so gave 50 000 won to the parents and my condolences.  No food though.  Worst funeral ever. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3168 on: July 02, 2020, 12:39:24 pm »
Yeah, there was have a lizard on the road in Woraksan and I did the same thing. It's dying anyway, just put it out of its misery.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• theman3285
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 16, 2017, 09:01:06 am
« Reply #3169 on: July 02, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »
Only a person who truly cared about animals would've done what you did, big ups for being man enough to do what needed to be done.
I care about animals. Even insects. I hate it when my wife goes on a rampage whenever anything living appears in our apartment. Even a diminutive fruit fly will be hunted down.

Is that a Korean thing? Or just her?

« Reply #3170 on: July 02, 2020, 01:10:00 pm »
I just ran across a hobbled pigeon the other day on the streamside path, its wing and leg on one side severely damaged, though no entrails. I imagine it got caught up in a bikerís spokes. I thought about helping it though wasnít really sure how that might be done. Smashing it with a rock was certainly not an option as itís a fairly busy trail. I wasnít even sure if it was destined for death given how many deformed pigeons Iíve seen in Seoul. So... I walked on, wondering what a pigeon thinks about as it approaches death. I was heartened to see a preteen girl out walking with her mom who showed deep concern for the poor thing, though.

Which reminds me of a time in class, or actually right before a class as kids were streaming into the room (we had a separate English room). One of the first boys to walk in spied a humongous black spider by the feet of his desk. Of course he flamboyantly freaked out, which got other kids to rush over excitedly, which was not the tenor I usually aimed to commence my classes with. I am usually the type to try to capture spiders and toss them out the window, but fearful of spending the next ten minutes trying to get the class under control after a protracted rescue mission, I swiftly grabbed a piece of paper, placed it over the spider, and stomped on it. It seemed to do the trick, but after class a particularly sensitive student came up to me and pleaded, ďyou didnít have to kill it,Ē with a crushed look on her face  :sad:

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3171 on: July 02, 2020, 01:12:01 pm »
I care about animals. Even insects. I hate it when my wife goes on a rampage whenever anything living appears in our apartment. Even a diminutive fruit fly will be hunted down.

Somewhat related........ I don't get people who hate certain animals, like snakes and spiders. Like, if there's a spider on your arm, sure. But spiders eat mosquitos and flies, snakes eat rats............... .. They help us out so much.

When I worked on the road crew there was a garter snake 10 m down the road crossing and my coworker basically ran down to try and kill it with his shovel. Like, why??? They're not venomous and it wasn't even near you. Jesus. People are insane. You have a black widow in your house? Kill it. You see a spider web outside, just move along, who cares? 
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #3172 on: July 02, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »
I once ran over a fox, the thing was it wasn't quite dead so I had to go back and finish it off with the jack.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3173 on: July 02, 2020, 01:22:18 pm »

On Tuesday, I watched a small frog, catch a big cockroach, and it used its mouth to crush the cockroach, which ripped it in half, before getting scared of me and leaving the roach on my path haha.
Nature is awesome. :D

« Reply #3174 on: July 02, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »
Somewhat related........ I don't get people who hate certain animals, like snakes and spiders. Like, if there's a spider on your arm, sure. But spiders eat mosquitos and flies, snakes eat rats............... .. They help us out so much.

When I worked on the road crew there was a garter snake 10 m down the road crossing and my coworker basically ran down to try and kill it with his shovel. Like, why??? They're not venomous and it wasn't even near you. Jesus. People are insane. You have a black widow in your house? Kill it. You see a spider web outside, just move along, who cares?

My daughter (just under 3 y/o) hasn’t developed a fear of bugs, and she actually kind of enjoys catching ants or chasing after butterflies (without malice), so I was a bit shocked the other day when she saw a water strider skittering across our rooftop and immediately ran over to it and just stomped the living shit out of it.

« Reply #3175 on: July 02, 2020, 01:23:35 pm »

Mine used to do the same and I'd get seriously pissed. Now she'll just call me and I'll pick up the little insect or spider and put it outside. Cockroaches and mosquitoes are my exceptions. Luckily, I've never seen one in my apartment, but I'll smash the first one I do.

In class, one of the 6th grade boys saw a tiny jumping spider and absolutely shat a chicken! The class went into a frenzy and they, including my CT, looked on with absolute disbelief as I carefully caught it with my hands, opened the window and let it go on its way. Everyone was asking why I wasn't afraid and insisting that my hands needed to be thoroughly washed.

I then tried showing them the phenomenal "Spider with 3 superpowers" segment from Planet Earth's 'The Hunt'. So they could learn to appreciate the supremely, sophisticated marvel that is the jumping spider.

Is it a Korean thing? No, plenty of people are scared of wildlife, but do Koreans, in general, take it to another level?
Well... nowhere else have I seen, or even heard of, a grown man leave his girlfriend/wife behind to runaway from a single pigeon.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #3176 on: July 02, 2020, 01:25:47 pm »

I'll hunt down insects with the bug spray, especially vs mosquitoes, flies of any kind, certain breeds of spiders, roaches, centipedes, or anything that looks dangerous.
If it is just something I know to be chill, like certain spiders or beetles, I'll do my best to get them out first.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #3177 on: July 02, 2020, 01:30:48 pm »
Mine used to do the same and I'd get seriously pissed. Now she'll just call me and I'll pick up the little insect or spider and put it outside. Cockroaches and mosquitoes are my exceptions. Luckily, I've never seen one in my apartment, but I'll smash the first one I do.

In class, one of the 6th grade boys saw a tiny jumping spider and absolutely shat a chicken! The class went into a frenzy and they, including my CT, looked on with absolute disbelief as I carefully caught it with my hands, opened the window and let it go on its way. Everyone was asking why I wasn't afraid and insisting that my hands needed to be thoroughly washed.

I then tried showing them the phenomenal "Spider with 3 superpowers" segment from Planet Earth's 'The Hunt'. So they could learn to appreciate the supremely, sophisticated marvel that is the jumping spider.

Is it a Korean thing? No, plenty of people are scared of wildlife, but do Koreans, in general, take it to another level?
Well... nowhere else have I seen, or even heard of, a grown man leave his girlfriend/wife behind to runaway from a single pigeon.

I was always taught, it's not good to crush cockroaches, as they spill their eggs out when you do it, it's better to kill them with bug spray, and flush/throw away the corpse, or just try get them outside. Cockroaches are a bug that just freak me out too much, so I'll kill it with spray before getting rid of it.

• 745sticky
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #3178 on: July 02, 2020, 01:33:02 pm »
Cockroaches can **** off and when  I see them they will die

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #3179 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:01 pm »
Jumping spiders = fine
Other spiders (in my house, not outside), especially if they're in/near my food or bed, must die

Mosquitoes will die if they get near me, because I am aware that I am delicious (I always get bitten multiple times before my husband), and my bites tend to swell up even if left untouched.

I used to live in an older place in the US that got our fair share of house centipedes and stuff - I used to catch them to feed to my venus flytrap. We also had a singular mouse that we didn't know about for months, because it was living in our stove (there's an insulated part under the burners I think?), and was eating the food that dropped down. It only came out for water. One of my roommates went on a rampage when he finally found out about it (he was the last one - he didn't believe us until he saw it himself).