Read 640048 times

Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #3100 on: May 07, 2020, 09:29:45 am »
It's a nice day and I'm goofing off, watching some guy explain his adventure of tracking down an anime OVA from the early 90s so  obscure that it not a single clip of it exists anywhere on the internet. He managed to find probably the only surviving copy on a VHS.

« Reply #3101 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:58 am »
Sure, if you like your air with a thick layer of pollen.   :laugh:

Ron's a bumblebee, confirmed. The jig is up.

Hey, Mr C Mister Tim, buzz off! 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3102 on: May 07, 2020, 10:03:18 am »
My roasting cooker thing arrived last night, so I'll be able to start cooking roasts soon :D
I have a small convection oven, but don't have the right trays to do a roast, and I couldn't find the right trays that are small enough to fit in my little oven.
So I bought a device that is designed for roasts. :D It might be a pressure cooker, but not 100% sure, as it's a bit different to pictures I've seen, and never used one myself.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3103 on: May 09, 2020, 10:42:25 pm »
Two lessons everyone can learn. It'll make your life so much better.

1) Getting in front of an issue.

https://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst152027_get-out-in-front-of-something.aspx

Remember in 8 Mile, at the final battle, Rabbit lays everything out? Leaves MC McNobber with nought?

Get out first, control the narrative. Come clean, be honest and concise.

2) Be careful about shaming people in public in these digital days

https://youtu.be/wAIP6fI0NAI

It's much too easy to pile on on the Internet. And it's ESPECIALLY easy to do so anonymously.

Watch this video, honestly, it'll change thenway you look at Internet outrage and read his book, So You've Been Publicly Shamed.

Anyone with an Internet connection should read this book. It's very easy to get into the "I'm good, that man who tweeted one thing is bad. Pile on" mindset.

Learning is important. Seriously, watch the Ronson vid.

Sweeten the deal? He wrote The Men Who Stare at Goats screenplay (and the book, natch) and co-wrote Okja (easily BJH worst movie, but even his worst is a solid watch...... Like a Rolex)
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #3104 on: May 11, 2020, 07:46:27 am »
Oh my goodness! Yes! I remember watching this TED talk and then looking up his book. It was such a good read! Now every time I see people getting bashed on the internet, I think of his book.  Seriously one of my favorites; I cannot recommend it enough.

« Reply #3105 on: May 11, 2020, 08:08:50 am »
Sure, if you like your air with a thick layer of pollen.   :laugh:

Ron's a bumblebee, confirmed. The jig is up.

Apology forthcoming.   :cry:

Did my usual deep clean of my apartment yesterday, and there was a layer of yellow on everything.  I could see in my vacuum cleaner while cleaning and there was just a layer of yellow.   Tuesday was indeed pollen day.  Now, I'm doing cleaning in my classroom and it's the same.

I am indeed a bee.   :shocked:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3106 on: May 11, 2020, 08:35:44 am »
Apology forthcoming.   :cry:

Did my usual deep clean of my apartment yesterday, and there was a layer of yellow on everything.  I could see in my vacuum cleaner while cleaning and there was just a layer of yellow.   Tuesday was indeed pollen day.  Now, I'm doing cleaning in my classroom and it's the same.

I am indeed a bee.   :shocked:

I found that when I done my Sunday deep clean too. I thought it was visible fine dust, as that's what my co-t told me it was when she showed me it around school last week haha.
I've never seen pollen before, though. :o

« Reply #3107 on: May 11, 2020, 09:14:00 am »
The film of visible yellow dust?

That's not supposed to be pollen. It's supposed to be yellow dust picked up from deserts located in both China and Mongolia. It always comes around this time of year, at the same time that a bunch of trees and grasses release their pollen, and a lot of pollen from many plants look similar. That's why a bunch of people confuse the two. But pollen is a lot more fine than this yellow dust, and that's partly why no matter how thickly the vegetation releases its pollen, it's never enough to settle so visibly all over the place like that.

If it's yellow and you can see it, it's dust from a desert. And it gets worse every year thanks to deforestation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:17:29 am by Chinguetti »

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #3108 on: May 11, 2020, 09:21:07 am »
Finally got a parcel from the UK that I waited for 2 months for (HALLELUJAH) will never use the same parcel service. And other good news of the week did my spring cleaning and put away the winter garb! I am ready for summer!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3109 on: May 11, 2020, 09:22:02 am »
Unless it's floating on puddles. Pollen does form films on water. Startling yellow!

« Reply #3110 on: May 11, 2020, 09:30:15 am »
It's pollen.  Trust me.  Yellow dust hasn't been a problem here for 5 or 6 years, which is also the same amount of time that the raining seasons have pretty much disappeared.  It's on the cars, it's in the puddles after it rained.  Mainly pine tree pollen where I am.  But it's not the yellow sand from the Gobi.  I gave up checking that, as it just doesn't happen anymore.  The daily pollution has taken its place. 

I finished my videos last week.  Which I'm bitter sweet happy about as I really liked doing them and the students sent lots of lovely messages.  But the way it was going, with trying to improve each week, I'd probably would've ending up trying to get Benedict Cumberbatch and and Michelle Pefffifieieififieii fieiieieifer to star in them.  I did my Thanos-style, multi-mask person ending with the killing off of my characters. 

« Reply #3111 on: May 11, 2020, 10:57:04 am »
It's pollen.  Trust me.  Yellow dust hasn't been a problem here for 5 or 6 years, which is also the same amount of time that the raining seasons have pretty much disappeared.  It's on the cars, it's in the puddles after it rained.  Mainly pine tree pollen where I am.  But it's not the yellow sand from the Gobi.  I gave up checking that, as it just doesn't happen anymore.  The daily pollution has taken its place.

As far as I've read here and there, yellow dust itself is still a problem that's gotten worse over the years due to human industry and is now a political issue right along with other matters of pollution. It just kind of takes a back seat to everything else because it's kind of related to everything else.

But I'm definitely no pollen/dust expert. I don't really have much personal experience to go on outside of what other people have told me, and that's what they've always said that the yellow shit that would pool up near the gutters and all over the ground after a rain was.

How do you tell the difference? Like this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky, I honestly want your input on this since you've been here a lot longer.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #3112 on: May 11, 2020, 11:01:53 am »
How do you tell the difference? Like this is a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky, I honestly want your input on this since you've been here a lot longer.

I went up to my rooftop the other day and got a mouthful of the yellow/pollen in my mouth. It was windy and the whole atmosphere around me had a yellowish tint to it. I also want to know what it is! 

« Reply #3113 on: May 11, 2020, 11:25:08 am »
As far as I've read here and there, yellow dust itself is still a problem that's gotten worse over the years due to human industry and is now a political issue right along with other matters of pollution. It just kind of takes a back seat to everything else because it's kind of related to everything else.

But I'm definitely no pollen/dust expert. I don't really have much personal experience to go on outside of what other people have told me, and that's what they've always said that the yellow shit that would pool up near the gutters and all over the ground after a rain was.

I didn't want to come across as a tool.  :-*

I've always thought there is three things:  the spring time yellow sand, the Pm10/PM2.5 pollution and the pollen. 

I don't really remember the pollution being that bad up until 7/8 years ago.  Talking to my Korean friends too, they seem to say the same thing.  That the population as a whole were becoming way more aware of the year round pollution that is produced here and in China about that time.  I think that is around the time it was becoming an issue in other countries too, TBH.

The spring time yellow sand was brought over by the stronger winds in the spring, which we don't really get anymore.  And it was sand, you'd have to have a decent wind to bring it that far as it's heavier, and mixing with the pollution as it flew over China.  I'm not saying it's gone completely, it's just nowhere near as bad as it was, if at all.  I remember one time looking out of my apartment and it was red outside, and that was a particularly shitty sand day.  You can see the difference, between the pollen and sand.  Lat week, my car was covered with a fine pollen but years ago it was way more gritty stuff on the cars in the spring.  But now it's difficult to tell the difference as the pollution is all year around.  I just think the with winds changing and the climate changing, there is less of the yellow sand and also less of the raining season.

It is also possible that, although I have no evidence, that there may have been afforestation around the Gobi desert edge that is making it less of a problem for both China and Korea. 

In the 'mountain' behind my apartment, where I walk daily.  You can see over the last two weeks, that the pine trees are green again, flowers are out, and the whole 'mountain' looks alive again which brings pollen.  It just seems to coincide with the fine pollen that was in my apartment and classroom.

Maybe some other long-termers here have other thoughts.  Having only lived in Chungnam, we tend to the brunt of the shit, so maybe it's more obvious.  Dunno, really!

« Reply #3114 on: May 11, 2020, 11:52:44 am »
I didn't want to come across as a tool.  :-*

Nono, I didn't take it that way.

I just know that sometimes I come off as being confident in everything that I post, and I just wanted to make it clear that I am, in fact, not, lol.

So you're saying that the yellow or Asian dust that comes from these deserts are not as fine as that yellow stuff?

And also that it's not as yellow (or yellow at all) when compared to the pollen?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #3115 on: May 11, 2020, 12:06:29 pm »
I'm reasonably sure it's been pine pollen this past week. I saw the same stuff in central California and in northern Georgia. For what it's worth, my weather app hasn't said anything about high pollution levels in that time span, but it has said there's an allergen risk.

« Reply #3116 on: May 11, 2020, 12:25:46 pm »
Nono, I didn't take it that way.

I just know that sometimes I come off as being confident in everything that I post, and I just wanted to make it clear that I am, in fact, not, lol.

So you're saying that the yellow or Asian dust that comes from these deserts are not as fine as that yellow stuff?

And also that it's not as yellow (or yellow at all) when compared to the pollen?

No, but really!  And, I don't want to come across as a blah blah longtermer!! lol!!

Pretty much, yeh.  The spring yellow sand was more coarse and I suppose it was always called 'hwangsa' as well, which this isn't.  And like Mister Tim says it seems like it's pine tree pollen which has coincided with the dry, warm spring weather with a bit of wind and also nature coming into bloom.  Personally, and without any scientific qualification, although if pushed I could borrow a lab coat from the chemistry room and put it on, and say that the 'hwangsa' may now have just melded into the daily pollution, so it's not really a seasonal occurrence anymore, just a crappy daily one.  Like I said, I don't remember being told of or being made aware of prolonged, shitty polluted air ten years ago. 

I suppose if I had allergies, it'd be more of an issue.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #3117 on: May 11, 2020, 12:29:56 pm »

I suppose if I had allergies, it'd be more of an issue.

Even the copious amounts of pollen aren't getting to my allergies right now, but I know that once October tolls around, I'll be ready to take all the antihistamines on the planet. I never had any allergy issues to speak of before moving here, buy hoooo lawdy, something about Korean autumn is NOT conducive to me breathing at night.

« Reply #3118 on: May 11, 2020, 12:33:07 pm »
I'll be ready to take all the antihistamines on the planet.

You mean literally all of them?  On the planet?  Holy crap!! Can you post your video on any of the following: 

r/whatcouldgowrong
r/tooktoomuch
r/yesyesyesno

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #3119 on: May 11, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »
You mean literally all of them?  On the planet?  Holy crap!!

Imagine having so little histamines that you turned into a hertamine.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?