truly kayotic

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #3081 on: April 20, 2020, 11:48:28 am »
Some photos from Cheongju.

Downtown Cheongju is actually kind of cool.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #3082 on: April 20, 2020, 12:08:18 pm »
About movie theaters vs watching movies at home, I like the best of both worlds.

For me, though, the movie theater is really more about the enjoyment of other people's reactions. I like to be around people who are also enjoying the film, who laugh and jump and cry at (mostly) all of the same parts, and who groan or mumble with you when something was just ****** stupid. It makes the movie watching experience more enjoyable for me. Obviously, I hate people who talk through the film or who OVERreact to parts (to be the center of attention for whatever reason), but I experience this less often when I go late at night when there aren't nearly as many people there.

Immersion can be part of the experience, but, really, my home setup is good enough that it's not a strong factor for me. It's mostly about watching a film that isn't available in HD+ online, yet, and to enjoy that film with other people.

Also, @based: Some places/companies won't honor a warranty unless you register the product, which they won't let you do unless you have a receipt to prove time of purchase. And a lot of places are a little iffy when the product is purchased from an unlicensed 3rd party seller (which is something that happens a lot online). I don't run into this issue as much as in the past, but I know it's still a thing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:13:27 pm by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #3083 on: April 20, 2020, 12:32:00 pm »
Kayos:

Complains about bad behaviour in the movie theatre.  "AND not having to deal with other people around you is the best too!"

Kayos:

Is the bad behaviour in the theatre.  "Even in a theatre, if the movie ends up being boring, I'll habitually try to check my phone. "

Haha.

I never complained about bad behaviour in a movie theater. I just said I don't like being around other people much. :P
Also, I very rarely go to the cinema as I don't really like watching movies much. Watching movies / phones are annoying cause you are just sitting there, having to focus on that without doing much.
Games are better cause they are interactive. :p
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:37:08 pm by Kayos »

« Reply #3084 on: April 20, 2020, 01:00:53 pm »
About movie theaters vs watching movies at home, I like the best of both worlds.

For me, though, the movie theater is really more about the enjoyment of other people's reactions. I like to be around people who are also enjoying the film, who laugh and jump and cry at (mostly) all of the same parts, and who groan or mumble with you when something was just ****** stupid. It makes the movie watching experience more enjoyable for me. Obviously, I hate people who talk through the film or who OVERreact to parts (to be the center of attention for whatever reason), but I experience this less often when I go late at night when there aren't nearly as many people there.

Immersion can be part of the experience, but, really, my home setup is good enough that it's not a strong factor for me. It's mostly about watching a film that isn't available in HD+ online, yet, and to enjoy that film with other people.

Also, @based: Some places/companies won't honor a warranty unless you register the product, which they won't let you do unless you have a receipt to prove time of purchase. And a lot of places are a little iffy when the product is purchased from an unlicensed 3rd party seller (which is something that happens a lot online). I don't run into this issue as much as in the past, but I know it's still a thing.

Oh, for sure. I wouldn't buy something expensive from an unlicensed third-party seller. That's just common sense.

Also, other peoples' reactions can be fun if you go to the movie with someone you know. Personally, for me, though, going to a movie and being one of the only people there is one of the most enjoyable feelings ever. Like having your own personal movie theatre.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #3085 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:44 pm »
Also, other peoples' reactions can be fun if you go to the movie with someone you know. Personally, for me, though, going to a movie and being one of the only people there is one of the most enjoyable feelings ever. Like having your own personal movie theatre.
Yeah, depends on the movie. The new Wes Anderson movie? That can be by myself. haha

I saw Muse: Drones World Tour in the Dolby Atmos theatre in Mokdong and that was great. There were a lot of girls in their 20s there and they were freaking out during the set. Lots of cheering and clapping. It gave it a great feel! Like, at a concert............ you would really do that, so why not in a theatre full of Musers?

Same with movies with well established fan bases. It might annoy some people, but I liked it in Force Awakens when the people kind of cheered when Hans came out, or there was some reference to lore and people laughed. It made the communal spirit great.

« Reply #3086 on: April 20, 2020, 01:27:58 pm »

I agree, its fun experiencing the reactions of others, particularly when watching horror movies... not much is funnier than hearing the Korean dude shriek louder than his date. The problem with that is humor; unless we're talking lowbrow, slapstick, humor in English movies oftentimes requires a deep understanding of English and western culture and it usually just gets lost in translation. It's somewhat disheartening when you're the only one in the cinema pick up on and laugh at a joke the just goes over the Korean audiences heads, it takes one out of the immersion.

I probably go to the movies twice a year, I'm just not that interested in what Hollywood is dishing out to warrant getting in my car, driving to the cinema and buying a ticket. The next movie I'd probably go watch in the cinema is the Dune remake, even then, I'll try to watch at a time when the cinema is nearly empty, I'm not making the same mistake I did with Force Awakens; Korean parents and grandparents brought their kids into the cinema, probably with no clue what Star Wars was. After a few minutes, the kids got restless and started running around the cinema, making a louder racket than the movie.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #3087 on: April 20, 2020, 01:33:57 pm »
I'm going to see La La Land tonight for 5000W.  (seen it years ago)

I haven't been to the cinema since the beginning of March and I'm losing my damn mind.

Logan tomorrow for 5000W , too and It Follows Wed (haven't seen either)

« Reply #3088 on: April 20, 2020, 01:36:01 pm »

I haven't been to the cinema since the beginning of March and I'm losing my damn mind.

Whoa. Didn't know those were back. I haven't even opened my CGV app in a month. La La Land is such a fun movie. Logan's great, too. Curious to see how its aged, a few years later.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3089 on: April 25, 2020, 05:19:30 pm »
My scale is reporting I am down to two digits today.

99 kg.

Not eating out is doing me good!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #3090 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:48 pm »
It's my birthday. Really.

If you have food. And a roof.

The purpose? That has to come from you.

No Minister of Education can give you that.

Carry on. It's my birthday. My gf and her daughter are asleep.

Life is complicated. Stop. Think.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3091 on: April 25, 2020, 11:54:33 pm »
It's my birthday. Really.

If you have food. And a roof.

The purpose? That has to come from you.

No Minister of Education can give you that.

Carry on. It's my birthday. My gf and her daughter are asleep.

Life is complicated. Stop. Think.

Happy birthday, brother!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #3092 on: April 26, 2020, 11:36:41 am »
Happy birthday, brother!

Thanks. Makgeolli Kevin had fun last night. Haha

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #3093 on: April 29, 2020, 01:41:23 pm »
pretty satisfied with a recent purchase. i've been eyeing cheap t-shirts with random english words for a while now and i finally bought one yesterday. it says (in all caps) with a basic wormhole drawing:

SEMIOTIC VISUAL C247

VIRTUAL SPACE EXPLORATION

EXCLUSIVE NO. C247         SEMIOTIC STUDIES         EST.2009         POSTMODERNISM

« Reply #3094 on: April 29, 2020, 01:42:42 pm »
pretty satisfied with a recent purchase. i've been eyeing cheap t-shirts with random english words for a while now and i finally bought one yesterday. it says (in all caps) with a basic wormhole drawing:

SEMIOTIC VISUAL C247

VIRTUAL SPACE EXPLORATION

EXCLUSIVE NO. C247         SEMIOTIC STUDIES         EST.2009         POSTMODERNISM

I have yet to find the perfect English phrase shirt, but I too want one......I really wanted to buy one that said "Cheese" for my brother who loves cheese, but I never did

« Reply #3095 on: April 29, 2020, 01:44:21 pm »
On another happy note, I leave in 15 minutes to head to immigration and I don't return to school until next Wednesday morning...although Monday is a work at home day

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #3096 on: April 29, 2020, 02:23:28 pm »

It Follows is at the cinema?  Good scary movie.   

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #3097 on: April 29, 2020, 07:22:21 pm »

« Reply #3098 on: May 07, 2020, 07:30:05 am »
It's a beautiful, sunny, clear day.  The air is good for the next couple of days.  I'm sat with a nice breeze flowing through my classroom and listening to the birds outside.  My simple pleasures.   :-* Also, I noticed that the amaryllis bulb I bought in Byeonsanbando (an beautiful part of Korea on the west coast) four years ago is starting to come out.  I have a lot of plants and flowers in my classroom.  I've painstakingly taken care of this bulb, but it only seems to bloom every two years, when it should be an annual.  In the winter, I take it out of its pot, cut off the roots, cut back the leaves, put it in a black bag with some dry soil and then put it in the cooking room fridge to 'sleep'.  After a couple of months, bring it out and re-pot it.  Maybe next week it'll bloom and it always smells wonderful.    :-*

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #3099 on: May 07, 2020, 08:27:10 am »
The air is good for the next couple of days. 

Sure, if you like your air with a thick layer of pollen.   :laugh:

Ron's a bumblebee, confirmed. The jig is up.