Read 476826 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2960 on: October 14, 2019, 12:25:47 pm »
What had happened, was he was trying to say armadillo, but said arma-dil-do >.<
My grade 3 Middle kids were doing their future professions project, and several of them were writing about how they wanted to be BJs in the future.
I had to interrupt the lesson with an explanation that in English, "VJ" and "BJ" are 2 entirely different things. Of course, they were very curious as to what BJ was, so I had them look it up on their translators.
   Long story short, the only thing they took away from that class was "BJ! BJ! BLOW JOB! WHOOO!"

:huh:  :rolleyes:

Haha wow. I hope you got a good laugh out of that one haha

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2961 on: October 14, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
For future reference, BJ is short for "Broadcast Jockey," and it isn't really the same thing as a VJ. It's still a bit Konglish-y, but they weren't really wrong for using it, haha.
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=238380
Oh, hey, I didn't know that.
   Still, I cringe everytime one of my kiddos starts talking about wanting to be a BJ.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2962 on: October 22, 2019, 03:35:53 pm »
 It's my one year anniversary this weekend and I just spent the afternoon preparing the gifts.

First year is papaer and I painted and created a lot of cool stuff. Pumped for this  weekend!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2963 on: October 22, 2019, 04:35:08 pm »
It's my one year anniversary this weekend and I just spent the afternoon preparing the gifts.

First year is papaer and I painted and created a lot of cool stuff. Pumped for this  weekend!

Congrats!!  Have a good time!! 

« Reply #2964 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:33 am »

holy shit co2 are u married?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2965 on: October 23, 2019, 07:45:35 am »

holy shit co2 are u married?

No.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• mjc8500
  • Adventurer

• August 26, 2018, 05:27:23 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2966 on: October 27, 2019, 09:17:05 pm »
On Friday, I had a class that I don't particularly like. One of the students is such a little asshole...or so I thought. I had written "No" on the board to begin a negative response to a yes/no question and that was enough to set the class off in a chorus of "No Japan. We hate Japanese people." Most of this was in Korean, of which I understand enough to know what they were saying. I'm supposed to pretend I don't understand a word of Korean though, so when this happens, I have to keep my mouth shut. The student whom I not only think is an asshole, but would also be most likely the one to lead the chants of "Kill Japanese," almost immediately shuts everyone else down (and I'm translating this): "Hey everyone. Don't say that! Japanese people are good. It's Abe that's bad." In my head, I'm just like, "Hell yeah! We don't have to conflate an entire people with a government we dislike!" I gave him a thumbs up, but I doubt he understood why. He became my new favorite though.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2967 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:31 am »
My Korean friend has returned to Korea after 4 years in Prague!

cuz his dad has cancer...............
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2968 on: October 28, 2019, 11:44:43 am »
On Friday, I had a class that I don't particularly like. One of the students is such a little asshole...or so I thought. I had written "No" on the board to begin a negative response to a yes/no question and that was enough to set the class off in a chorus of "No Japan. We hate Japanese people." Most of this was in Korean, of which I understand enough to know what they were saying. I'm supposed to pretend I don't understand a word of Korean though, so when this happens, I have to keep my mouth shut. The student whom I not only think is an asshole, but would also be most likely the one to lead the chants of "Kill Japanese," almost immediately shuts everyone else down (and I'm translating this): "Hey everyone. Don't say that! Japanese people are good. It's Abe that's bad." In my head, I'm just like, "Hell yeah! We don't have to conflate an entire people with a government we dislike!" I gave him a thumbs up, but I doubt he understood why. He became my new favorite though.

I don't tolerate this at all, particularly as I find that it's actually the younger students who are the most vocal. When I hear a single "No Japan", I shut that sh*t down immedietely. I really don't care to stop them from being brainwashed little monkeys, but the problem I had was the bullying. One boy actually had the balls to say that his dream was to visit Japan. Every other boy went a nationalistic frenzy and started shouting at him. I slammed the desk and raised my voice to silence the class and spent a good 10min telling them to keep their opinions to themselves and that my English class was NOT going to be their political platform.

I haven't had a problem since. I've noticed that it's only the boys who get vocal, the girls usually stay silent.

Incidentally, my CT told me that a Korean HS student took legal action against a teacher for trying to spread anti-Japanese propaganda during class.

More so for my own mental well-being, I don't allow this type of nonsense at all.

« Reply #2969 on: October 31, 2019, 01:41:24 pm »
Last month, my school won a provincial tournament and I'd done a lot of practicing with my students and helped them with tactics and a lot of encouragement.  Next month is the national contest in the south of Korea for four days (W-S).  At lunchtime, my principal came to me and told me he wants me to go with the students as I'd helped them so much and they seem to respond to my coaching.   ;D  Three days of no school!!   :laugh:  But four days of only eating Korean food.   :undecided:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2970 on: October 31, 2019, 01:43:48 pm »
I'm having dakgalbi for the fourth time this week tonight.

Was in Chuncheon last weekend, had charcoal and pan.

Had it at school on Monday, too. (Third day in a row.)

Now? Another charcoal grill one. Good thing I love dakgalbi.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2971 on: November 02, 2019, 04:59:10 am »
Incidentally, my CT told me that a Korean HS student took legal action against a teacher for trying to spread anti-Japanese propaganda during class.

This?

Public high school teachers in Seoul forced students to engage in “anti-Japan” acts, such as holding posters that say “Japan must apologize” at a school marathon event

https://asianews.network/2019/10/28/south-korean-high-school-students-protest-teachers-forcing-anti-japan-acts/

According to South Korean media reports, teachers at Inhun High School in southern Seoul ordered students to make posters calling for a boycott of Japanese products prior to the marathon event held on Oct. 17. On the day of the event, they were forced to shout slogans such as “Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party should collapse,” referring to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The protesting students revealed the situation on Facebook, saying, “Students are not political toys,” and held a press conference on Oct. 23 in front of the main gate of their school.

In addition, teachers at the school summoned students to the teachers’ room to reprimand them for criticizing the Moon administration, and called other students “dogs and pigs” because of their views of a controversy involving former Justice Minister Cho Kuk.

Here's a particularly sad bit:

High school students in the country face fierce competition to pass entrance exams to universities. The protesting students said, “We have suffered under the ‘political teachers’ without complaining because we were worried that they might write badly about us in school recommendations to universities.”

« Reply #2972 on: November 05, 2019, 02:17:11 pm »
Like in the first semester, I have a lot of fun in my speaking tests, especially when interviewing my student who lived in Australia.  It's great to hear a student who doesn't have North American pronunciation.  One of the questions was:

:lipsrsealed:'How did you celebrate your last birthday?'
 :azn:'Well, me and a few of the guys went to, what do you call it, karaoke?...'
 :laugh:

I could sit and listen to them talk all day.  Just the 'karaoke' pronunciation had me laughing. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2973 on: November 07, 2019, 05:28:06 pm »
Kpop mixed in with the flight announcements; this rocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lSbPWn_6R4

« Reply #2974 on: November 10, 2019, 09:45:13 pm »
in February, I got some from Gmarket that included Taurine. but for some reason, on Gmarket they've stopped selling 5HTP.  so I used Coupang this time and got this one.  the coupang site + customs stuff is all in Korean, so hopefully you can navigate it.

https://www.coupang.com/vp/products/189611216?itemId=541549728&vendorItemId=4416798772&isAddedCart=

I ordered on the Friday and it got delivered on the following Thursday.  I didn't take these ones yet, as I still finishing the previous ones.  Usually about 200mgs an hour before bed is fine.  don't feel any problems with them.
I know that this is from a while ago, but the reason that they stopped selling 5-htp on gmarket (and iherb) for Korea is that it's technically classified here as a medication needing a prescription.

If you search for various amino acids on iherb, you can find listings but actually clicking on the product gives you a "page unavailable" message, because they really can't legally ship it. It's entirely possible that your stuff you order on coupang could end up getting held at customs as a result if they look through your stuff...

« Reply #2975 on: November 11, 2019, 03:22:06 pm »
In case a few fans don't know it, Bojack Horseman's season 6 (Part A) is on Netflix right now. Released las month.

Also, first episode of Rick and Morty's season 4 is releasing... tonight? Anyway, should be able to watch it by tomorrow, or the day after next at the latest.

I'm saving my Nutty Bars and Snoballs for it. :)

« Reply #2976 on: November 12, 2019, 10:24:53 am »
In case a few fans don't know it, Bojack Horseman's season 6 (Part A) is on Netflix right now. Released las month.

Also, first episode of Rick and Morty's season 4 is releasing... tonight? Anyway, should be able to watch it by tomorrow, or the day after next at the latest.

Have they been released in Korea yet? (Bojack) My Netflix says new episodes available but as of last night, there weren't any yet.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2977 on: November 12, 2019, 10:31:09 am »

Have they been released in Korea yet? (Bojack) My Netflix says new episodes available but as of last night, there weren't any yet.

I finished it a week ago. No VPN. Weird.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2978 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:43 am »

I finished it a week ago. No VPN. Weird.

That's super weird. It has a New Episodes! badge on the icon, but when I open it, the season list just stops at last season.

« Reply #2979 on: November 12, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »
So my main co-teacher has decided she hates me now, for some reason, and I cannot figure out why.  As far as I know, Monday last week everything was fine;  then I got sick that night with food poisoning so I ended up taking Tuesday off and when I came back Wednesday, everything had changed.

~I wasn't aware of anything wrong at first until Thursday during lunch hour, when I went to brush my teeth in the teacher's bathroom. She was in the bathroom when I went in and immediately left not too long after I arrived; I didn't think anything of it at first, just figured she had finished, until I walked back to the office and saw her standing next to the communal sinks where the kids wash the mops, brushing her teeth.  So she basically left the bathroom to avoid me.  After that I thought maybe she was a little upset with me or just having a bad day, but then later she was joking around with the other teachers in our office so I knew it was definitely me. Afterwards I tried to share some Halloween candy I had shipped from the U.S. with her as a thank you for helping me with some super noisy students (something she never does. She usually just lets them do whatever they want) but she instantly snaps at me with, "NO THANK YOU. I don't like sweet foods."...okay.

~Friday, the next day, I'm usually at my secondary school but I had received a message from my co-teacher at the secondary school that I wouldn't be needed there, so I was at my main school on Friday deskwarming and getting lessons done. I was there for a few hours and most everybody knows that if I'm not needed at my secondary school I stay at my main, so nobody really questions why I'm there. At this point, I'm just working on lessons for the next week, listening to something on Netflix, when my main co-teacher all of a sudden yells in my ear "Sangneem" and tapping my shoulder. It was a little weird because she doesn't usually speak to me in Korean, but since she had just been talking to the vice principal I figure she was still in Korean-brain. Anyway I take off my headphones and she's talking to me in Korean, pointing at the office door - after a few seconds she sees the confusion on my face and goes, "oh apologies. Go outside"....uh okay. I go outside thinking she wants to talk and when I turn around to close the door, I see that she's going back to her desk. WTF. So I sit outside for about five minutes, waiting for her, when I finally give up and go back into the office, she just looks and me and goes "oh yes. Come back in.". Again wtf.

~Yesterday during a class with her, I was having problems with the students and I made the mistake of accidentally saying her name without adding 'teacher' at the end (I honestly make this mistake with my other cts, not just her, but the others usually let it go. It's something I'm admittedly still working on - most of the time I usually just say 'Ms. blah blah') and she immediately just snaps at me, "I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND. IT'S (NAME) TEACHER." Mind you at this point my students are being a*holes and I'm getting really frustrated with them and she's just lit a match on the gasoline. Now all of the students are dying laughing and I'm p-i-PISSED. I snap at the kids, get them back under semi-control and finally start my lecture when she gets up again and goes (IN THE MIDDLE OF MY LECTURE) "Your microphone is too loud. It makes me ears ring" - like I really care at this point since I'm still pissed.

-Today I'm not even in the office for 10 mins in the morning when she calls my name (WITHOUT adding 'teacher' at the end, may I add?) and demands that I send her my lesson plan before our first class in 15 minutes. She has only asked for my l.p. once, at the beginning of the school year, and never again since but now she is demanding I send it to her every week. Then she spends the entire class time scrutinizing my class like it's an open class (and still not helping me keep the kids under control). After the class, I finally ended up breaking down and crying from the stress of dealing with her.

I'm not even hurt or anything that she doesn't like me (I honestly couldn't care less about it) but it's the random suddenness of it all. I literally was helping her decided which jacket/vest looked best on her two weeks ago and now she hates my guts and is undermining me in front of our students every-which-way. She's been teaching for like 25 years and apparently has a reputation from all of her schools about getting into fights and arguments with all of the teachers and I truly have been waiting for my day to come cause she's done this with the other teachers in department, but this is just ridiculous. I really can't wait for school to end in 6 weeks. I'm over this woman.