Read 484472 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2940 on: August 29, 2019, 02:33:16 pm »
Sad to see so many leaving, but congratulations on moving on to another part of your lives.  :wink:

Leaving does sound kind of nice.

I'll be leaving next August myself, unless my new job gives me a march / April start instead of September, then I'll renew once more, but leave halfway through. (to keep working until my new job)

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2941 on: August 29, 2019, 04:09:22 pm »
I start my new gig in Riyadh on Monday.

:)

« Reply #2942 on: August 29, 2019, 07:16:12 pm »
Sad to see so many leaving, but congratulations on moving on to another part of your lives.  :wink:

I'll be leaving next August myself, unless my new job gives me a march / April start instead of September, then I'll renew once more, but leave halfway through. (to keep working until my new job)

Add me to the list.  Just got back from my summer holiday in England and realised it's actually paradise compared to Korea.  Will be leaving in March (completion of my sixth year here).

« Reply #2943 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:18 am »

I've been feeling this, too. It comes and goes, but lately it's been sticking around for longer periods. I thought maybe all I needed to do is to move to a different area of Korea, but now I'm thinking my time is just up here.   

I can't say how I'll feel next year, though, but I guess I'll start putting feelers out to see what I might find.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:58:07 am by Chinguetti »

• isitts
  • Explorer

• June 18, 2013, 02:53:00 pm
« Reply #2944 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:57 am »
Just ordered a Shure MV88+ mic for shooting my videos.
Nice. That's a good mic. You using the MOTIV audio app with that? You can change the polar pattern (stereo, mono cardioid, bi-directional, and RAW mid-side) and adjust the mic gain, compression, etc. Maybe you already know all this, but just letting you know in case you didn't.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2945 on: August 30, 2019, 08:00:47 am »
I start my new gig in Riyadh on Monday.

Hate to be Riyadh ya, but it's good to see people moving up and moving on!
Best of luck to you, and check in once in a while... if for no other reason but to get your recommended dose of whining and Schadenfreude!
 :smiley:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2946 on: August 30, 2019, 08:19:04 am »
Me too! Me too!
I've got exactly 143 days until I depart. Tickets booked, wife's PR visa sorted. Almost 7 years to the day that I arrived.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2947 on: September 06, 2019, 03:28:28 pm »
Seeing The 1975 in a few hours. Gonna be awesome. :)
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2948 on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:03 am »
I work in a really small middle school, in a tiny town, even a lot of Korean people have never heard of, in the middle of nowhere.
And just found out this morning, one of my students applied for a scholarship to go study in the US or Canada, over winter vacation, and got accepted. :D

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2949 on: September 13, 2019, 10:25:46 pm »
I'm here in Gochang-gun. I'm camping with my girlfriend and her kid.

This is great.

I love the booze nightlife in Seoul, I love the loud, the brash, but I often wonder if I actually do. And I don't think I really value that though. It's fun. But I don't value it.

I'm finally in a place where I don't want to go out and run around like a madman. I want to relax a bit, do some cooking and some exploring and just enjoy some time with the people I love, gf and little young Dain included.

This is what this thread is for. For telling everyone about something good that has happened. Well, folks, it has happened.

Life is good, I have a good little family going, and I hope everyone has a great Chuseok.  :-*
The joys of fauxtherhood

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2950 on: September 16, 2019, 09:20:36 am »
   This Chuseok was fantastic! Classes cancelled on Wednesday, and then a four day weekend to celebrate my b-day in. Woot!
   Had a big dinner with a bunch of the local NETs, then set off for a 3 day road trip up the East coast.
   Stopped by a half dozen tiny beaches, trespassed on a nuclear reactor construction site, ate some tasty seafood, stayed at a random pension, flew some kites, got a sunburn, and thoroughly inundated our car with sand.  :azn:
   I enjoy the summertime, but early autumn weather is hard to beat!

« Reply #2951 on: September 25, 2019, 12:57:59 pm »
I'm marking my level 3 student's essays for their evaluation and as usual, there were some bits that I found really interesting/funny.  Loads of these students I've taught for their whole high school life and for their second grade in middle school, so I've known them for a long time. 

As I want them to think about their school life, which will finish soon, I made questions about this topic.  'If you could go back and do elementary and middle school again, what would you do differently?'   Two students wrote they'd get more sleep because they blame lack of sleep on their height, and they're not exactly small.   :undecided:

Another student was obviously having trouble with her pen running out of ink, so there were lines scribbled in the margin to try and fix the ink problem.  Then under it she wrote, 'Sorry Ronnie Teacher, my pen is crazy'  :cheesy:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2952 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:50 pm »
My son and my wife are joining me today in our new “home”.

We’ve been apart for all but 2 of the last 7 months sorting out jobs and visas.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2953 on: October 14, 2019, 11:33:54 am »
One of my high level students made an accidental pronunciation error during class today. The mispronunciation made him say a word that isn't appropriate for school.
An even funnier part, was most of the class actually knew that word. I couldn't help but join in the laughter, as I wasn't expecting to hear that.
After class, the student came and apologized a lot, as he didn't realize what he said until after the laughter stopped.

« Reply #2954 on: October 14, 2019, 11:37:11 am »
One of my high level students made an accidental pronunciation error during class today. The mispronunciation made him say a word that isn't appropriate for school.
An even funnier part, was most of the class actually knew that word. I couldn't help but join in the laughter, as I wasn't expecting to hear that.
After class, the student came and apologized a lot, as he didn't realize what he said until after the laughter stopped.

Your students are always the sweetest or the most Satanic, lol.

« Reply #2955 on: October 14, 2019, 11:46:07 am »

You Kiwis and your funny pronunciation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdg1MOYxHo

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2956 on: October 14, 2019, 11:52:40 am »

Your students are always the sweetest or the most Satanic, lol.

That's true haha. Luckily it was my best class. The funny part, is that class is mostly girls, it was a boy who made the mistake, but it was most of the girls that understood what he said haha.

What had happened, was he was trying to say armadillo, but said arma-dil-do >.<

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2957 on: October 14, 2019, 11:53:27 am »

You Kiwis and your funny pronunciation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdg1MOYxHo

Haha Yeah, I miss my awesomely funny pronunciation! a little over 3 years of being here has killed my NZ accent. :(

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2958 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:07 pm »
What had happened, was he was trying to say armadillo, but said arma-dil-do >.<
My grade 3 Middle kids were doing their future professions project, and several of them were writing about how they wanted to be BJs in the future.
I had to interrupt the lesson with an explanation that in English, "VJ" and "BJ" are 2 entirely different things. Of course, they were very curious as to what BJ was, so I had them look it up on their translators.
   Long story short, the only thing they took away from that class was "BJ! BJ! BLOW JOB! WHOOO!"

:huh:  :rolleyes:

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #2959 on: October 14, 2019, 12:18:57 pm »
My grade 3 Middle kids were doing their future professions project, and several of them were writing about how they wanted to be BJs in the future.
I had to interrupt the lesson with an explanation that in English, "VJ" and "BJ" are 2 entirely different things. Of course, they were very curious as to what BJ was, so I had them look it up on their translators.
   Long story short, the only thing they took away from that class was "BJ! BJ! BLOW JOB! WHOOO!"

:huh:  :rolleyes:

For future reference, BJ is short for "Broadcast Jockey," and it isn't really the same thing as a VJ. It's still a bit Konglish-y, but they weren't really wrong for using it, haha.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=238380