Read 452215 times

Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2840 on: May 10, 2019, 10:26:46 am »
I'm also stunned at that apartment deal you got.

Just to confirm, it's a huge apartment and you only paid 5 million key money for 600,000 per month rent?  That's the same price as the tiny one room my school was renting (in Busan).

Location location location haha!! 

yep, 5 million.  it wanted less deposit/more rent which can be more beneficial for the landlord depending on what they do with it.  so was kind of surprised when the landlord accepted less deposit/same rent.  To me, Korea is a small country, and my job is my main priority, so during the week, I work and then go home.  then I can do other stuff and travel around at the weekends.  I would hate to live in Seoul as my lifestyle would be wasted there. 

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #2841 on: May 10, 2019, 02:36:52 pm »
I obviously can't tell you *ahem* exactly where I am, but it's in Chungnam, for almost anonymity sake.  I suppose you'd class it as 'rural' by Korea's definition.  my city is about 100 000 people, and there is a lot of new apartment complexes being built. it has a Lotte mart, train station and is prefect.  I mean, I've lived here over 10 years and it's just really comfortable.  there are only about 5 or 6 native teachers here, but I don't know them.  I think this apartment would be in the region of 2억5000.  When I lived in my one room ages ago I always thought that the apartment areas always looked sterile and I never really fancied it, but now I'm in one, they usually have a gym (usually about 10 000 -15 000 won a month), the security guys are good, the soundproofing is very good and it's just generally a totally different way to live here from the usual E2 one room thing (which is fine, by the way  ;D)

I found it quite interesting this time, as I saw other 1000/60 or more commonly 2000/50 apartments for a similar size (30-34 pyeong) property but older complexes.  so feel lucky that I could talk the owner down from 1000/60 to 500/60 for an apartment that is only a year old.  This was supposed to be my last year here, but now I think I'll get all house proud, and also as I paid off my car too in January.  Hmm, decisions decisions.  that is why I asked for only a one year contract with the owner.  I saw other properties but think that IF I leave I'll be breaking my contract two months early, so if I have a desirable property then someone can move in straight away.  I saw the 'joo taeks' but thought that people don't really want to live in those nowadays, so if I break my contract, it's possible that there wouldn't be someone to move in. 

there was one 34 pyoeng that was 1000/50 and I asked to drop it to 500/60 (that was my bargaining idea) but the owner has a Korean tenant in now, and he'd spent most of his deposit money so couldn't drop the price.   :laugh:  there was another one that estate agent gave a warning about the owner by saying that the reason his 34 pyeong apartment was so cheap (500/45) was because he needed money to pour into his business and that it was risky as if everything went toots up,  my apartment would be sold first.  Getting the money back wouldn't be a problem but just that I'd have to move again.  not worth it.   

Fair enough.
Are you sure about that 250 million market value? That would be a terrible return for your landlord. Not even 3% which is very very low return on a real estate.
Anyways, it's not my business. I just find those figures very odd.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:22:28 pm by Lazio »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2842 on: May 11, 2019, 04:22:26 am »
I had a little house on the southern coast of Namhae Island for 150,000 won a month and 1,000,000 won deposit.

After the summer I left it but debated keeping it, moving my job to a town 30 minutes away. On a sunny Saturday morning I sometimes find myself pining for it as a weekend getaway. Sigh.

« Reply #2843 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:13 am »
Fair enough.
Are you sure about that 250 million market value? That would be a terrible return for your landlord. Not even 3% which is very very low return on a real estate.
Anyways, it's not my business. I just find those figures very odd.

first off, I'll say I'm not into all the house stuff and interest rates and yields etc, just that I got the 교차로 and 벼룩시장 for a few weeks and studied the prices and mostly the range for the apartments for 월세 1000/60 to 2000/40 and the 매매 was between 2억 to 2억5000 for 30/34 pyeong.   apparently, she bought it for 2억2000 a couple of years ago, now from looking at the other prices it's in the 2억4000/5000 region.  actually, the current owner of my apartment wanted to sell last year, but the estate agent told him to wait for a year because last year the apartment complex I'm moving into was opening, so there was a flood of new apartments meaning he'd get less and/or find it harder to shift.  my new owner is a sweet old lady as I met her on Friday for the contract signing and we had a chat, so I don't think her first thought is that she is a hard business person, which is fine by me.  the guy moving out is a Buddhist so he was very minimalist in the apartment and everything was so clean  :cheesy: and also as he wakes up at 3am, I'd noticed he had no curtains up in the apartment.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2844 on: May 21, 2019, 12:22:09 pm »
This summer I'm seeing John Cale, Thom Yorke and The 1975 in concert. Hoping Muse swings by soon.

Yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2845 on: May 21, 2019, 12:39:09 pm »
This summer I'm seeing John Cale, Thom Yorke and The 1975 in concert. Hoping Muse swings by soon.

Yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Thom Yorke tickets were selling really slowly. I was surprised.

I kind of regret not getting 1975 tickets, but like, I also feel like that crowd might be kind of obnoxious.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2846 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:26 pm »

Did you get one? I'm going alone at this point. haha

EDIT: Ohhhh shitttttttt, Nigel Godrich is touring with Thom. He produced all the Radiohead albums, guy is a legend!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:25:26 pm by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2847 on: May 22, 2019, 02:47:27 pm »

Did you get one? I'm going alone at this point. haha

EDIT: Ohhhh shitttttttt, Nigel Godrich is touring with Thom. He produced all the Radiohead albums, guy is a legend!!!

Yeah, I got mine right when they opened. Was waiting on that one with the Korean site, foreigner site, and app all open. Got a nice low-numbered ticket.

Thom and Nigel is going to be ridic. Thank you, BasedGod.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2848 on: May 22, 2019, 02:50:23 pm »
Yeah, I got mine right when they opened.

I'm Standing Floor A
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2849 on: May 23, 2019, 04:44:36 am »
in our most recent lesson, i told our students that in america, unless you are in a flea market (or some type of bargaining situation), you can't really bargain in stores. like, you can't ask someone from Trader Joe's for a discount.

so later, we played a game and the teams had to tell me which expression that we learned in class isn't actually used in America, which is "can i get a discount?"

one student immediately screams: F*** YOU!!!
me & the korean teacher:.....*dumbfounded at what just happened
student: yeah! you can't say it in America!!
me: ....omg... i'm talking about what we LEARNED in CLASSSSSSSSSSSs

lol

he was way too eager to say that ;)

I got a seniors discount today at a drug store in Canada.

Iím 47.

I think the clerk was older than me.

:(

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2850 on: May 23, 2019, 07:47:38 am »
Whenever i go into Paris Baguette after 5pm they are all sold out of 90% of stock. The shelves are mostly empty. I can't get a loaf of bread or maybe a snack i am looking for. Same at Tous le Vous. What's the point of staying open to 10pm if you sell out of most stock by 5pm?  I understand that maybe they only have a baker in once a day in the morning to bake but if selling out seems to be a regular occurrence then surely you could make a bit more bread. It's actually quite difficult for me to get a loaf during the week because they are not open a 7am before work and then by 5:30 they are usually sold out. 

« Reply #2851 on: May 23, 2019, 07:55:10 am »
Whenever i go into Paris Baguette after 5pm they are all sold out of 90% of stock. The shelves are mostly empty. I can't get a loaf of bread or maybe a snack i am looking for. Same at Tous le Vous. What's the point of staying open to 10pm if you sell out of most stock by 5pm?  I understand that maybe they only have a baker in once a day in the morning to bake but if selling out seems to be a regular occurrence then surely you could make a bit more bread. It's actually quite difficult for me to get a loaf during the week because they are not open a 7am before work and then by 5:30 they are usually sold out. 

Beverages are their best selling and highest profit margin items. And lots of people drink coffee or go sit in a cafe and chat in the evening.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2852 on: May 23, 2019, 08:37:37 am »

Beverages are their best selling and highest profit margin items. And lots of people drink coffee or go sit in a cafe and chat in the evening.

OK. That makes sense then. I thought maybe that could be part of the way they make their money. Also i meant to put my original post in the ranting thread but put it here by mistake. I guess you could consider my post as raving maybe. 

« Reply #2853 on: May 23, 2019, 08:44:37 am »
Beat me to it basedcowboy.

The beverages are the big profit makers and where a good chunk of their business comes from.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2854 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:03 am »
Speaking of Paris baguette, and this being the happy thread. Last year, the cute lady who works in the nearby paris baguette gave me a free reusable eco bag with my purchase (I don't think it was a promotion / special, because she didn't think about it, until she was almost done packing my stuff into the plastic bag I brought with me. :D

« Reply #2855 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:54 am »
It amazes me how much the Korean cafe bakery chains' coffee has improved over the years. It's still pretty bad. But it's like, drinkable?
Back in the day, it was literally just flavourless brown water.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2856 on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:22 am »
A couple of the Korean teachers just said "Oh shit!" when the wind went really crazy just now.
It made me chuckle haha.

« Reply #2857 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:12 pm »
Loving the weather today. I haven't jogged outdoors in a while. If the air stays as "clean" as it is right now, I might give it a go tonight.

It amazes me how much the Korean cafe bakery chains' coffee has improved over the years. It's still pretty bad. But it's like, drinkable?

Which ones have you tried recently to bring about this new observation?

A couple of the Korean teachers just said "Oh shit!" when the wind went really crazy just now.
It made me chuckle haha.

I only ever hear students say this while in my classroom whenever they're trying to get a reaction out of me, lol. Would be a nice change of pace to hear some adults say it just because they want me me to hear them say it. I'd feel so included. xD

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2858 on: May 27, 2019, 03:13:45 pm »
One of my co-workers came back from Japan over the weekend and brought snacks back. Plus, one of the students brought snack bags for all the teachers in my office today.

Been trying to diet recently, but it's hard to say no to so many free snacks ;D
The World Ends With You

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #2859 on: May 27, 2019, 03:17:37 pm »
Loving the weather today. I haven't jogged outdoors in a while. If the air stays as "clean" as it is right now, I might give it a go tonight.

Which ones have you tried recently to bring about this new observation?

It made me chuckle haha.

I only ever hear students say this while in my classroom whenever they're trying to get a reaction out of me, lol. Would be a nice change of pace to hear some adults say it just because they want me me to hear them say it. I'd feel so included. xD

We got heavy rain and strong winds where I am in Jeollanamdo.
I got to work feeling like I put on all my clothes and then got into a cold shower.

It'll probably be Thursday when I go jogging next (though, I played badminton today!)