Read 476814 times

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2800 on: April 26, 2019, 02:47:26 pm »
hahaha, manchester city!!  what an amazing use of VAR in stoppage time!!   :laugh:  all we need is for Liverpool to win the league and Champions League, and this season will have been amazing....  ;D

This ^  :)

« Reply #2801 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:31 pm »
I'm seeing Kraftwerk tonight.

Enjoy.  In the winter holidays, my older brother told me about this and that I had to go as they were one of the best live shows he'd ever seen.  Unfortunately, I never got around to booking.   :sad:

Nice weekend for you!!  Plus the Avengers!!  Maybe the best weekend ever if you end up in Cheonan  :laugh:

I'll have no legs from hiking too much!  :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2802 on: April 26, 2019, 03:04:29 pm »
Maybe the best weekend ever if you end up in Cheonan  :laugh:

She's coming up here. hahaha Same diff
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2803 on: April 29, 2019, 08:49:51 am »
All second grade classes today and tomorrow are cancelled, and they only want me to teach 20 minutes for my remaining 6 classes. Not to mention this Wednesday is our Holiday.

Gonna be a good week ;D
The World Ends With You

« Reply #2804 on: April 29, 2019, 10:53:15 am »
Only two days of classes this week, and have Wednesday off.

Best week since the year started.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2805 on: April 30, 2019, 10:43:30 am »
I lost my banking certificate due to an app upgrade, but replacing it on-line was painless.

Korean banking apps are getting better... still not as slick as most other places, but better.

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #2806 on: April 30, 2019, 11:49:23 am »

Okay so I heard this is labour day or something for NETs...I have no idea about this. I am expected to come to school.  Where is our contracts does it say this? I am with DMOE!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #2807 on: April 30, 2019, 11:57:05 am »

Okay so I heard this is labour day or something for NETs...I have no idea about this. I am expected to come to school.  Where is our contracts does it say this? I am with DMOE!

It's a holiday obligated under labor law for all contract workers, so it must be observed and followed. It does not need to be present in our contracts, it is mandated by law and is not negotiable. A lot of schools don't seem to know or understand that this applies to NETs, too, since the majority of them are working under contracts (and are, therefore, contract workers).

As far as I know, this is true for everyone, no matter who their employers are, because it's set for a type of employee per labor law... but it may only apply towards people working under the government or for a government program/agency (so that's why some people are saying only for public school NETs, but I'm not sure about that).

If you work on May 1, you are entitled to overtime pay. So if the schools want you to work, they're gonna have to pay you overtime. As far as I know, this is not something they can demand -- if you want off on that day, they have to give it to you, but I'm not 100% on that. A lot of people will point out that you can only take off on that day if it doesn't interfere with the school schedule, but as far as I've seen it argued by lawyers, this does not apply towards labor-law protected benefits and holidays.... so then it really becomes more of an argument about how much tension you want to create between yourself and your employer. In any case, the employer either has to allow you to take that day off, or they have to be prepared to pay you overtime for coming in that day. That much is non-negotiable.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 04:29:59 pm by Chinguetti »

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #2808 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:18 am »

It's a holiday obligated under labor law for all contract workers, so it must be observed and followed. It does not need to be present in our contracts, it is mandated under the law and is not negotiable. A lot of schools don't seem to know or understand that this applies to NETs, too, since the majority of them are working under contracts (and are, therefore, contract workers).

As far as I know, this is true for everyone, no matter who their employers are, because it's set for a type of employee per labor law.

If you work on May 1, you are entitled to overtime pay. So if the schools want you to work, they're gonna have to pay you overtime. As far as I know, this is not something they can demand -- if you want off on that day, they have to give it to you, but I'm not 100% on that. A lot of people will point out that you can only take off on that day if it doesn't interfere with the school schedule, but as far as I've seen it argued by lawyers, this does not apply towards labor-law protected benefits and holidays.... so then it really becomes more of an argument about how much tension you want to create between yourself and your employer. In any case, the employer either has to allow you to take that day off, or they have to be prepared to pay you overtime for coming in that day. That much is non-negotiable.

Thank you. Just found it on the contract!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

« Reply #2809 on: April 30, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
Thank you. Just found it on the contract!

No problem.

But also something else for some of us to keep in mind.

I've read and been told about how some schools have negotiated with their NETs to work on May 1 in exchange for getting some other day off later in order to make up for it. As far as I know, this is permitted, but not at the cost of your overtime pay.

Some schools are using it as a sneaky way of getting out of paying overtime. This is not allowed. They can add incentives as part of the negotiation process for getting you to come in to work on that day, but they can not use those incentives as justification for not paying you overtime if you do work on that day. If you accept such terms in exchange for only one day off later (and not receiving your overtime pay), you're getting taken advantage of by a school that doesn't want to pay overtime.

I'd only agree to give up my overtime pay if it were in exchange for two or more days off later, and this would have to be written in stone or else I wouldn't trust it. I don't know how legal this type of negotiating is, but I'd personally accept it as long as I'm getting a fair exchange for my lost overtime, and that exchange is protected by legal documentation.

Just something for people to be aware of.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:28:35 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #2810 on: April 30, 2019, 12:47:25 pm »
And just confirmed that giving May 1 off (or giving overtime pay in lieu of it) is mandatory for all employers, including private companies (it's the only holiday protected by law even against private employers), UNLESS it's a really small business (as in has something like fewer than 5 employees).

But they've also made an amendment to that part of the law so that it will be illegal for all employers (regardless of business size) to deny their contract workers that holiday off or overtime pay in lieu of it. This change is set to go into effect next year in January.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:50:50 pm by Chinguetti »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2811 on: April 30, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
At the beginning of the year I was told that I would have to do a filler lesson every 3rd week since my CTs would need time to finish the remaining parts of each chapter. So I thought "cool" I have some extra lessons.

What I didn't expect was that these materials would actually show up on the student midterms. This includes my lesson on English onomatopoeias, as well as slang and text language

These lessons are actually more than just time wasters! This semester is fantastic :laugh:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #2812 on: April 30, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
I have a group of boys assigned to clean my classroom this semester, and, of course, their language when talking to each other can be really (and sometimes creatively) horrible. I pretend not to notice it most of the time, but they've started to wise up to the fact that I can, in fact, understand most of what they say (it's hard not to react to some of the shit they spew out), so now they're being more careful; however, they slip up and forget themselves a lot, too.

Today, two of the boys had an especially heated exchange, heated enough that I started paying attention to it to gauge where it was heading. They noticed, and while one boy paused, the other boy proudly responded, "Your mother."

I couldn't help laughing. I've never heard one of my students say this, ever.

« Reply #2813 on: May 03, 2019, 10:29:04 am »
Found my missing kitchen timer. Brought it to school almost a year ago for an activity, then stuck it somewhere without thinking, and I couldn't find it after. It was in a box of tea that I apparently don't like.

And yes, this deserves to be in the raving thread, because this is an awesome timer that isn't being sold in stores anymore, and nothing I've bought since then has been as good (for the price).

And it's pink.

« Reply #2814 on: May 03, 2019, 10:44:55 am »
Midterm exams are over! Day off school on Monday! And the Jeonju International Film Festival this week!
There's so much to rave about today! Happy Friday, y'all!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2815 on: May 03, 2019, 11:35:40 am »
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2816 on: May 03, 2019, 11:42:19 am »

« Reply #2817 on: May 03, 2019, 11:47:49 am »
Yeah, so I'm trending number one on reddit right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bk2cmm/im_in_gunpo_south_korea_i_found_a_guy_in/

Nice. I used to make dirt sandwiches and mud pies as a kid, but never on this scale.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2818 on: May 03, 2019, 12:10:05 pm »
Yeah, so I'm trending number one on reddit right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/bk2cmm/im_in_gunpo_south_korea_i_found_a_guy_in/

God, that's awesome!
:laugh:                         :laugh:                                                                                                                                                      :laugh:                             
            :laugh:                                                                                                                                    :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2819 on: May 03, 2019, 02:16:28 pm »
75 000 upvotes. This is so stupid. Hahahahaha

I just did this for a laugh, wanted to show my girlfriend. My Co-teachers think I'm insane.
The joys of fauxtherhood