Read 484255 times

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2780 on: April 12, 2019, 07:38:39 am »
Bottle of 5-HTP is waiting outside my door as we speak. I'll let y'all know tomorrow if it's efficace.

anything positive feedback?  or no difference?  or are you still asleep?   

Last couple of days, I've been out late for social stuff, so I come home and drop dead pretty good anyway.

I'll do it tonight, I'm only seeing Vice. (Wed, Thur for social outings, Fri for a movie by myself, I'm MAD!)
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2781 on: April 12, 2019, 03:59:14 pm »
I’m sure that there will be more translations later as the skits come out, but snl is being hosted by emma stone and bts is singing so i’m excited to show my students come monday morning.

Here’s a translated version of just the promo :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAdIxX8At1Y&list=PLI0yM_Jfw5ESgYdQnNYXfpxlsEp3_7RWl&index=3&t=0s

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2782 on: April 12, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Got a hard drive full of Miles Davis, ready to listen to on the trip down to Cheonan to see the GF.

I know nothing about Jazz, so I'm excited to go down this new road.

Also, trout sashimi tomorrow night. Only the third time I've had it. It's so damn good and I COMPLETELY recommend it.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2783 on: April 12, 2019, 04:16:03 pm »
don't think i've ever posted in this thread

i pretty much got burned out teaching kids. in fact, i was planning on never teaching them again.

however, i was offered a job at this private elementary school and it's probably the best job i've had in korea. proper books, respectful kids, no expectations of having to gamify every single thing, small classes of a maximum 10 students, students even divided by level (for english classes). part time, so i get paid per class, but 25% of my classes are just me assisting a korean english teacher. i even get paid for planning, etc. and no deskwarming!

« Reply #2784 on: April 12, 2019, 04:51:59 pm »
don't think i've ever posted in this thread

i pretty much got burned out teaching kids. in fact, i was planning on never teaching them again.

however, i was offered a job at this private elementary school and it's probably the best job i've had in korea. proper books, respectful kids, no expectations of having to gamify every single thing, small classes of a maximum 10 students, students even divided by level (for english classes). part time, so i get paid per class, but 25% of my classes are just me assisting a korean english teacher. i even get paid for planning, etc. and no deskwarming!

Hours, pay?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2785 on: April 12, 2019, 05:58:39 pm »
10.30/11.30 to 2.30 depending on the day (with lunch in the middle). 28k per 40 min class. but there's also a 50 min after-school class until 3.30 (i'm paid per student, so higher pay). so it equals out about 2.8m(ish) a month, but it should go up to about 3.8m(ish) when the 1st and 2nd graders can learn english again next semester (although that's an extra class a day)

the downside is i only get paid 2 weeks holiday a year, so there's a lot of unpaid holiday time too. the working hours are good though, so i can keep my adult morning/evening classes

i'm more excited about the professional working environment than anything else though, to be honest. and english is actually taught properly

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2786 on: April 12, 2019, 10:04:33 pm »
I put in 90 minutes (1.5 hours) before my classes to prepare the lessons, extra materials, classroom cleaning, communicating with other teachers and any orher work-related tasks (worst case scenario: waygook.org ... nothing unrelated to teaching)...

And i am praised up the yinyang for it like i'm the hardest worker in the world ( i start classes on time too, and never end early, at times a few minutes late

And still... after four to five classes i still have just a short 5.5 to maximum 7-hour workday (2:30 arrive, go home 8 or 9:30).

NOT A SINGLE BLOODY 8-HOUR TYPICAL WORK DAY, always shorter than that, even with my personal prep time commitment.

And during middle school test season most of my 6 and 7 o'clock classes are diverted to Korean teachers, so there's a gap of just 3.5 hours between arrival and departure.

Why do I work so hard? Because my workday is so bloody short.

In 16+ years here, I never had a public school deskwarming govt job conditions gig, nor ever a split shift morning kindy, afternoon grade school and/or evening adult class stretched out schedule.

1:30-7pm for 3 years?
3pm-8pm for 3 years?
2:30pm-9pm for 7 years?
2:30pm-8pm or twice weekly 9:30pm for the last 2 years?

Wham, bam, thank you man! And people wonder how I have the energy to be always "on" at work, giving 100% effort every second I'm there.

As someone who worked as a newspaper reporter for years before first coming here, putting in 60- to 80-hour workweeks to achieve a semblance of excellence (hit and miss - did win a significant award in the summer of 2000)...

TEACHING ENGLISH IN SK IS A JOY: high energy fun, i feel like a race car at work.

And all that free down time away from the workplace for hobbies and interests.

It's easy to RAVE about my career choice!
Money concerns? Pfff. I drop a thousand dollars u.s. on a hobby here, a shopping spree there and a weekend trip on a whim.

It's Friday 11pm and i'm going to sleep now giddy to know i will wake up Sarurday morning and see how i feel and how the weather is. What will i do? I have some radically divergent ideas. We'll see. I certainly will not be back on this site as i put all work considerations out of my head on the weekend (many a bar conversation i have changed or exited cuz i aint wasting sarurday or sunday time on work - a key to longterm bliss in this profession.

Ciao! See you on the other side. Monday I have only a 4-5 pm and 6-7 pm class, so i might be back thereabouts.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:19:22 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #2787 on: April 18, 2019, 06:53:36 am »
hahaha, manchester city!!  what an amazing use of VAR in stoppage time!!   :laugh:  all we need is for Liverpool to win the league and Champions League, and this season will have been amazing....  ;D

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2788 on: April 18, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »
I HAVE TWO TICKETS, BACK ROW, RIGHT SMACK IN THE CENTRE, FOR AVENGERS ON THE LARGEST IMAX SCREEN IN THE WORLD.

BOOM.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2789 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:25 am »
I HAVE TWO TICKETS, BACK ROW, RIGHT SMACK IN THE CENTRE, FOR AVENGERS ON THE LARGEST IMAX SCREEN IN THE WORLD.

BOOM.

do you like the back row more than the middle? or is this specific to this screen?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2790 on: April 19, 2019, 07:35:04 am »
do you like the back row more than the middle? or is this specific to this screen?

There were only 1/6 of the tickets left and they were all at the very front.

I refreshed the ticket purchase page and I guess someone must have released their pair back into circulation cuz there were two beautiful little, red dots right there in the back. I got super lucky.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2791 on: April 19, 2019, 10:42:18 am »
just a funny convo i had w/ a 2nd grader (middle school) whose english is pretty good.
i teach at a mid-level school so it's always fun to have English-only conversations, but ill pretty much take anything i can get.

student: Teacher, Ju-young is in the bathroom for too long!
me: i know!..maybe he had to go 똥 (poop)  :wink:
student: no teacher, must be! he must be!

lol

happy friday everyone.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2792 on: April 19, 2019, 11:37:06 am »
just a funny convo i had w/ a 2nd grader (middle school) whose english is pretty good.
i teach at a mid-level school so it's always fun to have English-only conversations, but ill pretty much take anything i can get.

lol

happy friday everyone.

Buddy of mine told me this story.

A few of his middle school boys approached him and said, "Teacher, Jiwon is very sad today."
My buddy noticed Jiwon had his arm in a cast "Oh, he broke his arm, that's too bad."
Jiwon's friend replies "No, teacher. He sad because no more masturbation."

« Reply #2793 on: April 19, 2019, 11:56:20 am »

BOOM.

Did they upgrade the Yongsan IMAX? I remember seeing Pacific Rim on it, and at the time, I think the Wangsimni IMAX was bigger, even.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2794 on: April 19, 2019, 12:21:07 pm »
Did they upgrade the Yongsan IMAX?
Bro........................  It's insane. I hadn't realised that they'd upgraded either. I saw Spectre there years ago, and I remember it being fine. It was big. Then I got tickets to Dunkirk there and I noticed that it said "LASER IMAX" on the CGV website. I looked it up............... It's insane.

4K picture using lasers. Traditional digital projection shines a light through an LCD screen  through the lens. This looks fine and it'll do 4K too if you have a good projector. But the laser projection................ my god, this theatre has the best presentation of any cinema I've ever been to. The LASER makes it 30% brighter which really helps with 3D movies, which get the common complaint that they're too dark.

This screen is insane in size, too. When you come here just enter through the doors and you can see the bottom of the screen, just keep entering. Keep looking up as you enter, it never ends.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2795 on: April 19, 2019, 12:47:30 pm »
Did they upgrade the Yongsan IMAX?
Bro........................  It's insane. I hadn't realised that they'd upgraded either. I saw Spectre there years ago, and I remember it being fine. It was big. Then I got tickets to Dunkirk there and I noticed that it said "LASER IMAX" on the CGV website. I looked it up............... It's insane.

4K picture using lasers. Traditional digital projection shines a light through an LCD screen  through the lens. This looks fine and it'll do 4K too if you have a good projector. But the laser projection................ my god, this theatre has the best presentation of any cinema I've ever been to. The LASER makes it 30% brighter which really helps with 3D movies, which get the common complaint that they're too dark.

This screen is insane in size, too. When you come here just enter through the doors and you can see the bottom of the screen, just keep entering. Keep looking up as you enter, it never ends.

Oh dude. That's crazy. Because before, it was very much just 'Yeah, okay. This is an IMAX screen. Neat, I guess?'

I'll have to peep.

« Reply #2796 on: April 19, 2019, 05:28:22 pm »

lol

happy friday everyone.

Buddy of mine told me this story.

A few of his middle school boys approached him and said, "Teacher, Jiwon is very sad today."
My buddy noticed Jiwon had his arm in a cast "Oh, he broke his arm, that's too bad."
Jiwon's friend replies "No, teacher. He sad because no more masturbation."

Hahaha this is kind of why i love & hate teaching middle school—they srsly have no filter and a (crazy) mind of their own.
altho if a student of mind told me a story like that, my expression would go from ^_^ to  >:( :huh:
Lolol

« Reply #2797 on: April 22, 2019, 11:02:27 am »
since I taught my students 'I have to powder my nose' and 'nature calls', the bathroom requests have been more interesting.

« Reply #2798 on: April 26, 2019, 02:11:27 pm »
no pollution today!!  ;D

after school, I'm going to hike until my legs fall off!!   :cheesy:

Then I'll be posting on the venting thread!!   >:(

And starting a gofundme for some new legs!!   :rolleyes:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more