Read 469239 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2680 on: December 24, 2018, 10:02:28 am »
I can't begin to tell you how HAPPY I am that I'm back at school!!  I caught flu a week ago last Friday, thought I'd be better by the Monday.  Nope!  Still sick as Hell on Monday but worked anyway.  Came into work Tuesday only to be told that my CoTs ratted me out to the main teacher that I was really sick.  Was forced to go to the clinic (forced meaning guilted) and was sent home with a 5 day ban from school.  I've never been so damn bored in my life!  I don't fell 100% but I don't think I could take another day of being stuck in my apartment. 

YAY FOR BEING BACK AT WORK!!!   and I missed the HELL outta my kids!

If you have flu, you shouldn't be around other people, especially kids. It's a highly contagious and potentially fatal illness.

Yeah, gotta agree with this. If you were my co-worker and wouldn't want you to be anywhere near me. Let alone around children.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2681 on: December 24, 2018, 12:30:06 pm »
I can't begin to tell you how HAPPY I am that I'm back at school!!  I caught flu a week ago last Friday, thought I'd be better by the Monday.  Nope!  Still sick as Hell on Monday but worked anyway.  Came into work Tuesday only to be told that my CoTs ratted me out to the main teacher that I was really sick.  Was forced to go to the clinic (forced meaning guilted) and was sent home with a 5 day ban from school.  I've never been so damn bored in my life!  I don't fell 100% but I don't think I could take another day of being stuck in my apartment. 

YAY FOR BEING BACK AT WORK!!!   and I missed the HELL outta my kids!

If you have flu, you shouldn't be around other people, especially kids. It's a highly contagious and potentially fatal illness.

Yeah, gotta agree with this. If you were my co-worker and wouldn't want you to be anywhere near me. Let alone around children.

No longer have the Flu.  So happy to be back at work!  :)

« Reply #2682 on: December 24, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I had an all-out argument with a KT. It's been building up for a while before then, and she's really been testing me, and I finally had enough and called her out (I was diplomatic about it at first, but she became super disrespectful, so I ended up giving her no wiggle room). In the end, she tried to turn it around with a "If you hate Korea, you should leave" defense, which made absolutely no ****** sense, and whatever she had to say before then basically fell apart as a result.

She ended up losing a lot of face.

I expected this to bite me in the ass later, but, as it turns out, other KTs had been waiting for me to do it. The principal, too. Everyone knew what this person was all about, and no one blamed me for it. They were all actually super happy about it because this person is super passive aggressive and has been rubbing a lot of people the wrong way for a long time.

I've gotten several pats on the back over this. It's refreshing. I still expect to pay for this in some way in the future, but it feels good to know that I at least have support over this.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:35:41 pm by Chinguetti »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2683 on: December 24, 2018, 03:22:59 pm »
Going to Loup Blanc in Hongdae tonight for their Christmas Set Menu.

That's enough reason to celebrate.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #2684 on: December 24, 2018, 03:36:37 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I had an all-out argument with a KT. It's been building up for a while before then, and she's really been testing me, and I finally had enough and called her out (I was diplomatic about it at first, but she became super disrespectful, so I ended up giving her no wiggle room). In the end, she tried to turn it around with a "If you hate Korea, you should leave" defense, which made absolutely no ****** sense, and whatever she had to say before then basically fell apart as a result.

She ended up losing a lot of face.

I expected this to bite me in the ass later, but, as it turns out, other KTs had been waiting for me to do it. The principal, too. Everyone knew what this person was all about, and no one blamed me for it. They were all actually super happy about it because this person is super passive aggressive and has been rubbing a lot of people the wrong way for a long time.

I've gotten several pats on the back over this. It's refreshing. I still expect to pay for this in some way in the future, but it feels good to know that I at least have support over this.

You have, as Koreans might say, "정".

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2685 on: December 24, 2018, 05:52:13 pm »
Last summer our school english camp got cancelled due to renovations.  I went and made 3 million won at another camp. Cool. That's 3 million i would not have made if the camp had not been cancelled. The upcoming winter camp is now looking doubtful again due to renovations possibly. I would be happy if it was cancelled. So would my supervisor teacher.

« Reply #2686 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:24 am »
Last summer our school english camp got cancelled due to renovations.  I went and made 3 million won at another camp. Cool. That's 3 million i would not have made if the camp had not been cancelled. The upcoming winter camp is now looking doubtful again due to renovations possibly. I would be happy if it was cancelled. So would my supervisor teacher.

Wait!  What?!?!  You made $3,000?!?!  (US)   :huh: 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2687 on: December 27, 2018, 07:58:18 am »
$3k USD = 3.375 million KRW

3 million KRW = $2,665 USD

(Actually a bit less favorable when accounting for exchange fees.)

It's been over a decade since 1,000 won equaled one dollar.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2688 on: December 27, 2018, 08:32:51 am »

1000KRW = $1.20 - $1.30NZD last time I sent money home :p

« Reply #2689 on: December 27, 2018, 10:01:28 am »

Splitting hairs.  Most would understand what I meant.  That's beside the point. 

I call BS on the OP for being given 3M won for NOT attending an English Camp.  Maybe along the lines of 300,000, but not 3M.  And even if it were a mistype, having the PoE just 'give' you money is doubtful. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2690 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:21 am »

I call BS on the OP for being given 3M won for NOT attending an English Camp.  Maybe along the lines of 300,000, but not 3M.  And even if it were a mistype, having the PoE just 'give' you money is doubtful.

He said he made it doing camp somewhere else; But I agree, it does seem pretty high for a camp (unless he had to give up his vacation time and got it paid out instead)

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #2691 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:32 am »

They are saying the went and worked another camp instead and got paid for that. There is plenty of camp work out there if you have the free time.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2692 on: December 27, 2018, 10:12:56 am »

They are saying the went and worked another camp instead and got paid for that. There is plenty of camp work out there if you have the free time.

3M worth?  Again, doubt it.  Unless OP was working 4-5 5 day camps, you still wouldn't pull in 3M.  And if I'm wrong, which I am a lot, I want to work in their PoE/MoE.  The must have one hell of a budget. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #2693 on: December 27, 2018, 10:42:00 am »
A camp I was looking at doing was 9am-1pm, M-F, 40,000 p/h for 3 weeks. That's 2.4 mill. That was sponsored by the city and held in a public library. I guess they had class space there.

There are all day ones, 9-5. One's with a higher/lower hourly rate. 3 million would be at the higher end, but definitely possible. My wife did a science one a few years ago. I can't remember the hours, but I do remember she earned more in 10 days than she usually would in a month.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #2694 on: December 27, 2018, 10:51:28 am »
How are you allowed to teach a camp at another school and get paid for it, assuming this happened to a public school teacher?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2695 on: December 27, 2018, 11:07:43 am »
How are you allowed to teach a camp at another school and get paid for it, assuming this happened to a public school teacher?
Your contract is to your province's ministry of education, so technically all schools in that area count as the same employer. If you have your school's permission, there's no issue in working at another school.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2696 on: December 27, 2018, 11:30:30 am »

1000KRW = $1.20 - $1.30NZD last time I sent money home :p

You remind me of Zola.

Incidentally, looks like the NZD is somewhat weak / losing strength against both the KRW and USD. As your country's currency loses value, you can get more of it when exchanging.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=USD&view=5Y

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=KRW&view=5Y

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2697 on: December 27, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
Hi. Yes i did earn 3 million won at another camp because my school was closed for renovations. I got permission from my school principal to go on it. It was a 15 day camp. Long hours 12-14 hour days. 3 week camp compressed into 2 weeks. Perfect for me. I like it that way. Actually. There were 24 male teachers and 1 female teacher. We all got on really well and every night we went out of the campus to the pub or restaurants for social time. Really nice people and no politics at the camp. It was a really great experience.  They have another one in winter but unfortunately i have to stay at my school this time and do the usual winter school english camp for my middle school. The 15 day camp was in Jinju. I live near Seoul.

He said he made it doing camp somewhere else; But I agree, it does seem pretty high for a camp (unless he had to give up his vacation time and got it paid out instead)

« Reply #2698 on: December 27, 2018, 01:12:33 pm »
Your contract is to your province's ministry of education, so technically all schools in that area count as the same employer. If you have your school's permission, there's no issue in working at another school.

Ah it looks like sbk taught the camp for a different MOE so they got paid. 

If we were teach a camp at a different school in the same area then I wouldn't expect to get paid (because we don't get paid for our camps; just our regular salary).

So...did sbk collect her salary from her regular job and then 3 million on top of that for the camp?!  Not too shabby  :shocked:

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2699 on: December 27, 2018, 01:25:29 pm »

Ah it looks like sbk taught the camp for a different MOE so they got paid. 

If we were teach a camp at a different school in the same area then I wouldn't expect to get paid (because we don't get paid for our camps; just our regular salary).

So...did sbk collect her salary from her regular job and then 3 million on top of that for the camp?!  Not too shabby  :shocked:
I suppose you're right in that we shouldn't expect it, but I occasionally do camps for other schools during winter/summer periods, and I've always been paid for it on top of my regular salary. :smiley: