Read 476792 times

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2640 on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »
Hi everyone. I agree that this thread is way off topic. This is supposed to be the Raving/Happy thread, but it has turned into something else.

Please keep this thread happy.

If you don't have something positive to say on this thread, move on.

Thank you.

« Reply #2641 on: November 28, 2018, 01:49:06 pm »
Martin, stop derailing this thread with your incessant need to argue.

It really wasn't his or Chingurtti's fault.  It was mine.  I asked a heated question.  I take full responsibility for this mess....
It wasn't your fault. I didn't have an issue with what you said. But if someone can give their strong opinion, I can give mine.

You're good, man.

« Reply #2642 on: November 28, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »

It really wasn't his or Chingurtti's fault.  It was mine.  I asked a heated question.  I take full responsibility for this mess....
It wasn't your fault. I didn't have an issue with what you said. But if someone can give their strong opinion, I can give mine.

You're good, woman.

fixed!   :wink:

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #2643 on: November 28, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »

Nah, they're both adults.  The devolution of the argument is on them. If y'all want to debate smoking, make your own thread for it.

« Reply #2644 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:27 pm »

It was a legitimate question, and there was nothing wrong with asking it. I gave you my reasons for holding public smokers in contempt, Martin felt like he needed to address that, and I responded to it.

We both took it further than this thread was meant to host.

You don't need to apologize for our actions, it wasn't your fault at all. Disagreements happen online. Someone could say that they hate unicorns, and people will argue about that.

So don't worry about it, let everyone slam on us if they want to, we deserve it. I don't really care, and Martin is quite impervious to it, lol.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #2645 on: November 29, 2018, 08:06:39 am »
The smoking rate of men, who are the primary smokers in this country, revealed this month showed the lowest ever at 38.1 percent.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181126000719

Awesome! Only 4 out of 10 Korean men are now smokers. It's going down!

That is good news! 

Something I've always wondered about though; why do others care if people smoke or not?  I can see if you're stuck inside a room with someone puffing away, or the mess on the ground from people throwing their butts all over etc etc. but I always wonder at those who (melodramatically) start coughing when they walk by someone who's smoking, or start waving their hands like they're being attacked by a swarm of bees when they see or smell smoke.  I see these acts more back in the States than I do here.  I agree smoking is gross, but I would never act the way some people do around smokers or treat someone with contempt because they do.

I don't care if people smoke, but they shouldn't do it in a public space IMO.
I don't want to smell that stuff *In Morgan Freeman's voice: But he didn't say stuff*
At work, there is usually a smoking area, otherwise, save it until you are at home.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2646 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:40 am »

You don't need to apologize for our actions, it wasn't your fault at all. Disagreements happen online. Someone could say that they hate unicorns, and people will argue about that.

No they won't!

« Reply #2647 on: November 29, 2018, 10:08:51 am »
Hello Waygooks.
I'm just popping in to say that I have spent the last two days between classes reading through most of this entire thread. I was so thrilled to see something so happy in the forums while most things tend to take a turn for the not-so-nice.

I'll add my happy moment!

I had to cover one of the other NET's two-hour night class last night (sounds bad, I know, but just you wait, Henry Higgins), and instead of the four students coming to class, there were just two. These are two of my own students that I see on a weekly basis, both very quiet, very shy to use English. Having that one on one time with them last night, I think, has helped their confidence with English. I now know that these boys both need a little extra help and maybe a Korean translation every now and then, but they do know what they're doing.
So, my 'proud mama' moment has propelled me into planning lessons with just a touch more Korean to help my precious students understand a little easier.

AND. I was greeted at my desk this morning with some Vitamin C drinks, tea bags, and an apple. I don't know who left them, but my immune system is very happy for these treats!   :smiley: :cheesy: ;D

« Reply #2648 on: November 29, 2018, 10:14:06 am »
Hello Waygooks.
I'm just popping in to say that I have spent the last two days between classes reading through most of this entire thread. I was so thrilled to see something so happy in the forums while most things tend to take a turn for the not-so-nice.

I had to cover one of the other NET's two-hour night class last night (sounds bad, I know, but just you wait, Henry Higgins), and instead of the four students coming to class, there were just two. These are two of my own students that I see on a weekly basis, both very quiet, very shy to use English. Having that one on one time with them last night, I think, has helped their confidence with English. I now know that these boys both need a little extra help and maybe a Korean translation every now and then, but they do know what they're doing.
So, my 'proud mama' moment has propelled me into planning lessons with just a touch more Korean to help my precious students understand a little easier.

AND. I was greeted at my desk this morning with some Vitamin C drinks, tea bags, and an apple. I don't know who left them, but my immune system is very happy for these treats!   :smiley: :cheesy: ;D

That's awesome!  I love when I can get through to my kids.  Makes my heart so happy! 

and bonus for the yummy treats! 

I love happy moments, even if they don't involve me.    :smiley:

« Reply #2649 on: November 29, 2018, 12:11:01 pm »

No they won't!

Yes they will!
I also detest and love unicorns!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2650 on: November 29, 2018, 01:38:55 pm »
I think the highlight of this past week was doing the speaking tests, looking at the name list to see who's next, and seeing the name "이혁" which is literally pronounced "EE-HYUCK" for you non-Hangeul readers.

I know it's absolutely not right to laugh at someone's name, but I found myself hard to contain when I realized that I'd be testing Goofy's English skills that day.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2651 on: November 29, 2018, 02:08:05 pm »
I think the highlight of this past week was doing the speaking tests, looking at the name list to see who's next, and seeing the name "이혁" which is literally pronounced "EE-HYUCK" for you non-Hangeul readers.

I know it's absolutely not right to laugh at someone's name, but I found myself hard to contain when I realized that I'd be testing Goofy's English skills that day.

You: There will be a speaking test today.

Students:

The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #2652 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:14 pm »
Look at that! Not a single US Politics thread in sight! This is a huge step-up change from the past several months!  ;D
The World Ends With You

« Reply #2653 on: November 30, 2018, 01:32:06 pm »
Look at that! Not a single US Politics thread in sight! This is a huge step-up change from the past several months!   ;D

Maybe everyone's finally realised what a great president Trump is.   :laugh:

« Reply #2654 on: December 14, 2018, 12:21:53 pm »
I've had every class canceled today.

Best way to end a Friday.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2655 on: December 14, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »
Ah yeah, this thread got resurrected! I was thinking I have some reasons to be happy.

1) Working on my youtube channel
2) Eating a lot healthier and drinking a lot less
3) Just feel good generally
4) Met a really nice girl and things are going super well.

It's Friday and I'm seeing 3 movies this weekend in theatres; Brokeback, Spiderman and Blue is the Warmest Colour.

It's coincidental that I'm seeing two of the most important LGBT films ever made. hahahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #2656 on: December 14, 2018, 12:37:39 pm »
Hello Waygooks.

That's great! I totally understand your feeling. One of my special needs students in the 3rd grade has been doing so well lately. I always try to spend extra time with him and break things down slowly. He's improved so much with the extra attention. His fellow students are helpful and work with him well, too. It really warms your heart when your students work hard and succeed. He's able to understand and answer questions for the last two lessons in English on his own now. I'm so happy for him!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• Cheongju
« Reply #2657 on: December 14, 2018, 01:34:28 pm »
Kids are practicing for the festival, which means I'm finished for the semester! All that's left is to prepare this Winter's camp. 8)
The World Ends With You

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2658 on: December 14, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »
Last year we had that week or two in February when the students came back but now we're finally on to the new schedule.  The year is done Jan 9th and I have no camp because of construction and a boatload of vacation days.  Co-teacher told me today I'm down to only three more classes with each grade so I don't even have to worry about activities.  Got to squeeze an entire chapter in.  It's now that point in the year where I can pretty much switch off and just relax.  At least until I get the new grade 5 and 6 books. 

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2659 on: December 14, 2018, 03:02:27 pm »
I hate cleaning time - I'd much rather just put on some tunes and do it properly myself in 10 minutes than have kids come in and take 20 minutes to make my class dirtier than it was before ... and I have to walk around and supervise them to make sure they at least do a half-arsed job anyway  :cry:

But ... 18 minutes until freedom!  8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:12:41 pm by Datasapien »
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.