Read 434242 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #2400 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:17 am »
I don't really understand all the complaints about sitting on the floor. Obviously it's not as comfortable as sitting on a chair, but like, what's so bad about it? I can understand if you have something wrong with your legs or are recovering / recovered from surgery or have some reason why you're physically unable to sit like that.

Like, how is standing up preferable to sitting when you're eating?

For me personally, it only takes a few minutes of sitting on the floor to make my legs hurt like hell. I can stand for long times without them getting sore though. Nothing wrong with my legs though, and not recovering from anything. The floor seating area is usually really small, and it is near impossible for me to sit comfortably and without pain there, again, there is nothing wrong with my legs though.

A sweet restaurant I went to in Japan, had the floor seating, but under the table was a big hole, so the floor ended up being like a chair, it was really comfortable.

« Reply #2401 on: March 15, 2018, 10:46:43 am »
For me personally, it only takes a few minutes of sitting on the floor to make my legs hurt like hell. I can stand for long times without them getting sore though. Nothing wrong with my legs though, and not recovering from anything. The floor seating area is usually really small, and it is near impossible for me to sit comfortably and without pain there, again, there is nothing wrong with my legs though.

The same for me. Sitting on the floor is more comfortable at first than standing up, but pretty soon it becomes much less comfortable.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2402 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:42 am »
I don't really understand all the complaints about sitting on the floor. Obviously it's not as comfortable as sitting on a chair, but like, what's so bad about it? I can understand if you have something wrong with your legs or are recovering / recovered from surgery or have some reason why you're physically unable to sit like that.

Spot the shortass

Sitting cross legged on the floor is something most of us stop doing regularly around 6-7 years old. So, getting back down into that position in adulthood isnt really comfortable. My legs go to sleep sometimes , or it just gets really uncomfortable so I have to switch between that and Seiza. I'm also 6'3, so there is never enough space to postion my legs properly under the table even when cross legged so I end up having to sit at some weird angle.

Is it really a mystery to you?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CJ
  • Super Waygook

• November 15, 2010, 08:11:00 am
    • Down south
« Reply #2403 on: March 15, 2018, 11:25:07 am »

Spot the shortass

Sitting cross legged on the floor is something most of us stop doing regularly around 6-7 years old. So, getting back down into that position in adulthood isnt really comfortable. My legs go to sleep sometimes , or it just gets really uncomfortable so I have to switch between that and Seiza. I'm also 6'3, so there is never enough space to postion my legs properly under the table even when cross legged so I end up having to sit at some weird angle.

Beat me to it!

Yeah, I'm 6'1 and have hiking and biking legs and I don't do yoga. Putting them under a foot high table for half the night is painful; I can't get close to the table as well, which means even though I have decent chopstick skills, some food is going to slip out and wind up on the floor.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2404 on: March 15, 2018, 11:45:28 am »
   It really is just a matter of your body getting used to a position: I don't do yoga, but luckily I've kept up the practice of sitting crosslegged, so that position doesn't bother me much at all.

When I first started Karate back when I was in highschool, my legs violently rebelled against the kneeling position all the students were required to be in during the short discussions before and after the lessons. But after a few years, it became less and less painful. Nowadays it doesn't bother me at all.

Actually, most things in life are like this. I worry sometimes that my current happiness with where I'm at in my life is just due to a long and gradual habituation to an actually crappy situation...  :lipsrsealed:

That, by the way, sounds like it might be a Social Distortion song title. "Crappy Situation Habituation."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:40:16 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #2405 on: March 15, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »
Yeah, a lot of the problem for me is the lack of space under the table. There's usually not enough room for my legs to fit comfortably without bumping the table every time I move even a little, so I have to sit in a really constricted way, and that leads to numbness and pain after about 15-20 minutes

Also, I hate taking off my shoes in public places and/or settings. I find it awkward.

Luckily, my school normally opts for restaurants with chairs. We go to a floor-sitting restaurant maybe once or twice a year (usually for sashimi).

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2406 on: March 15, 2018, 01:25:19 pm »
  When I first started Karate back when I was in highschool, my legs violently rebelled against the kneeling position all the students were required to be in during the short discussions before and after the lessons. But after a few years, it became less and less painful. Nowadays it doesn't bother me at all.
And the wax-on-wax-off exercise? 
I can paint a fence like a boss.

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2407 on: March 15, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
Camden didn't mind sitting on the floor
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #2408 on: March 15, 2018, 03:21:50 pm »
Camden didn't mind sitting on the floor

The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #2409 on: March 20, 2018, 10:36:30 am »
This is my 2nd semester of ESL, and I'm already seeing my own improvements from the 1st semester. I know how to make lessons and my students are finding the classes more enjoyable. Plus, I'm much less awkward and stumbly during my presentations. It's a good feeling  ;D
The World Ends With You

« Reply #2410 on: March 20, 2018, 10:40:21 am »
This is my 2nd semester of ESL, and I'm already seeing my own improvements from the 1st semester. I know how to make lessons and my students are finding the classes more enjoyable. Plus, I'm much less awkward and stumbly during my presentations. It's a good feeling  ;D

This is really nice to hear, I'm happy for you!  ;D
Bwaa

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 02, 2014, 08:19:08 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2411 on: March 22, 2018, 07:43:40 am »
This week is school spirit week and I love a good reason to dress up and drop the office attire. Other than one day (dress like a student/teacher day) I have been proclaimed as the winning teacher the whole week, haha. It's been fun.

• Kaynadian
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2015, 07:54:56 am
    • Taebaek
« Reply #2412 on: March 22, 2018, 01:16:37 pm »
"You have no classes this afternoon!" The kind of Korean surprise I love.  ;D

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #2413 on: March 22, 2018, 01:22:20 pm »
"You have no classes this afternoon!" The kind of Korean surprise I love.  ;D
Tomorrow's surprise: "You'll make-up all the missed classes from yesterday this afternoon!"  ;D

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2414 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:32 pm »

Spot the shortass

Beat me to it!

Yeah, I'm 6'1 and have hiking and biking legs and I don't do yoga. Putting them under a foot high table for half the night is painful; I can't get close to the table as well, which means even though I have decent chopstick skills, some food is going to slip out and wind up on the floor.

I'm 186cm (6'1) and despite spending years going to mosque (siting on the floor) and being pretty damn athletic and flexible, asking to fold my legs under a table is never going to be a comfortable experience.
Either I:

- fold them up and periodically knock the crap out of the thing with my knees, whenever I do something crazy like..move.
- Stretch them out and end up playing footsie with the people at the next table.
- Sit sideways and look like a damn lady Godiva riding side saddle on a horse.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2415 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:54 pm »
This week is school spirit week and I love a good reason to dress up and drop the office attire. Other than one day (dress like a student/teacher day) I have been proclaimed as the winning teacher the whole week, haha. It's been fun.

That sounds fun. I'm kind of envious.
It really has been, we've had Favorite Book Character Day, Class Color Day, Crazy Hair, and Pajama Day!

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2416 on: March 22, 2018, 02:33:49 pm »
I get to use some very good PPT games that find here on Waygook.org and then adapt them to my own class. It's such a great resource. The students also think that i spent so much time making these really great games for them.

« Reply #2417 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:49 am »
Finally got my fancy green tea, and it's amazing. Never going back.

• HaLo3
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2418 on: March 23, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »
My class won, we had 100% participation every day, so we got a pizza party during the last period of school~  :cheesy:

• Pennypie
  • Expert Waygook

• July 26, 2014, 08:16:47 pm
    • Koreaaa
« Reply #2419 on: April 02, 2018, 01:51:43 pm »
Wow this thread doesn't get much air these days.

I'm so happy. I finally got a new chair after over a year of my hips and back killing me.  :laugh: :-* :azn: :angel: