Read 434504 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1540 on: February 04, 2017, 02:49:45 pm »
OH MY GOD.

Smile Pay on Gmarket / Auction is NEXT LEVEL amazing. Like, paying with your card with the mobile app was already easy. But this is JOKES easy. I registered in literally 25 seconds. You just click like two things, get a number to your phone, take a picture of your card, and BAM. You can pay for anything instantly AND get extra CASH POINTS.

#rare #blessed

I haven't been into IT very much the past 20 years or so, but there is something about that system that makes me very cautious.

I don't think there's anything to feel spooky about, using it.

The picture of the card is what gets my spider senses tingling.

With Korean smoke-and-mirrors banking security, I am not sure I trust that.

The good news is credit card charge-backs are easy, and with SMS notifications, you see them quicker than you did back in the paper-statement days.

• jddavis7
  • Super Waygook

• November 02, 2016, 12:35:17 am
    • Miryang-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
« Reply #1541 on: February 06, 2017, 10:41:51 am »
Was just told I don't have to desk warm for the next two weeks because of construction at the school!

I'll have to lesson plan at home a little each day, but I'm WAY more productive at home as I can jam to music while I plan.

« Reply #1542 on: February 06, 2017, 10:52:57 am »
OH MY GOD.

Smile Pay on Gmarket / Auction is NEXT LEVEL amazing. Like, paying with your card with the mobile app was already easy. But this is JOKES easy. I registered in literally 25 seconds. You just click like two things, get a number to your phone, take a picture of your card, and BAM. You can pay for anything instantly AND get extra CASH POINTS.

#rare #blessed

I haven't been into IT very much the past 20 years or so, but there is something about that system that makes me very cautious.

I don't think there's anything to feel spooky about, using it.

The picture of the card is what gets my spider senses tingling.

With Korean smoke-and-mirrors banking security, I am not sure I trust that.

The good news is credit card charge-backs are easy, and with SMS notifications, you see them quicker than you did back in the paper-statement days.

Yeh, it's the picture of the card that disturbs me too.  Is it really that secure?  Is it the same as sending your card number anyhow? Am I just paranoid?

Just to clarify, they only want the front of the card or both sides?

« Reply #1543 on: February 06, 2017, 11:48:43 am »
That come back though

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #1544 on: February 06, 2017, 12:33:36 pm »
Lunch was good today. I enjoyed nearly everything on the menu. And even though the soup was red as lava, it was actually not that spicy!

• klearr
  • Newgookin

• March 07, 2016, 12:02:55 am
« Reply #1545 on: February 06, 2017, 12:59:24 pm »
I don't really post here often. But i got into a really good law school this week :). It was perfect timing since I'll know before I go home at the end of this month

• kbruck8
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2016, 12:27:28 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #1546 on: February 06, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »
I don't really post here often. But i got into a really good law school this week :). It was perfect timing since I'll know before I go home at the end of this month

Congrats! I'm also going through the admissions process right now. What's your first choice school?

• klearr
  • Newgookin

• March 07, 2016, 12:02:55 am
« Reply #1547 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:53 pm »

Congrats! I'm also going through the admissions process right now. What's your first choice school?
The one I got into, NU. Good luck to you! It can be a tough process. I thought my cycle was going poorly until last week.

• moonbrie
  • Expert Waygook

• March 31, 2016, 10:32:14 am
    • Busan
« Reply #1548 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:14 pm »
THE PIZZA FINALLY CAME TO US

didn't dig being judged for eating 3 slices (I don't eat breakfast or lunch!!) when usually everyone wants to shove the unwanted pizza on me but whatever

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
« Reply #1549 on: February 10, 2017, 02:23:03 pm »

« Reply #1550 on: February 10, 2017, 02:48:00 pm »
That's it.  School is done, graduation is done, I'm FREE (for the time being).  I felt the love today from the grade 6ers when one of the fathers came up to thank me for being his teacher and about how much his boy enjoyed my classes.  And then a group of kids literally drag me to take photos with me taken by their mums.  It was sweet, and never happened before in all the years I've been here

• moonbrie
  • Expert Waygook

• March 31, 2016, 10:32:14 am
    • Busan
« Reply #1551 on: February 13, 2017, 08:45:44 am »
sweet potato mama came up to me and I figured she was just gonna give me some food, as always (did I mention last week she gave me a whole loaf of bread?)

but she gave me a going-away present in the form of a super fancy Korean-English study bible. It has a fancy zippered cover and those pages where the tips are gold and everything. It has the English and Korean passages side-by-side. She hugged me extra tight and said that she would message me when I'm back in the US and that she'd "pray for me forever"

and then she gave me a chocolate bar, which is a little bit more on the side of what I expected

guess I'll just have to convert to Christianity  ;D :laugh:

« Reply #1552 on: February 13, 2017, 01:13:37 pm »
School treated us all to lunch. Much surprise on my end as I usually have to bring in a lunch when students aren't here. Still going to just in case this isn't a normal thing.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #1553 on: February 13, 2017, 01:18:29 pm »
The ad at the top of the forum is smaller!
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• JahMoo
  • Expert Waygook

• May 11, 2016, 12:55:18 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, ROK
« Reply #1554 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:49 pm »
The ad at the top of the forum is smaller!
Thank goodness for that because it was definitely ridiculous.

• The Arm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2015, 09:15:02 am
« Reply #1555 on: February 13, 2017, 02:21:24 pm »
You must have a hell of a lot of clout at your school for them to bend over backwards for you like that.

Or...this person did something really, really bad in the past that we all want to know about  :wink:

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #1556 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:10 pm »
If he catches wind of what transpired and has any juice with the union, things could get ugly for you Dave.

You are already aware of that, I'm sure, but just wanted to write this nonetheless.

• What?What?
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2016, 10:29:17 am
    • Korea
« Reply #1557 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:50 am »
Today is my last day at this school. And I am absolutely goddamn thrilled about never having to see my CT again. Although I probably will, but now I can comfortably flip her the bird when I do.

Also my next teaching gig seems really good and that school has already reached out to me and are helping me get my ducks in a row for the move.

Oh happy days!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

• Loki88
  • Expert Waygook

• July 25, 2014, 08:41:07 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #1558 on: February 14, 2017, 03:19:51 pm »
I haven't mentioned to my kids that I'm leaving yet. Most of them were indifferent but a couple were really sad.

In one of my classes though... this kid is funny. Like grade A comedian level funny.

I was saying goodbye and did my little fake tear up, got my chuckle and he starts doing the same thing. Then I say you should be really nice to your new teacher, she is really nice.

Him: She? A girl teacher?
Me: Yeah. Be nice to he....
Him: Bye, bye teacher. Big wave and starts motioning me out the door.

It was hilarious and utterly adorable. My CT is pretty serious and she was almost rolling around laughing and I lost it entirely.

Ofc, he has his little shit eating grin on.
Solid last class.

• denimdaze
  • Expert Waygook

• December 30, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
    • USA
« Reply #1559 on: February 21, 2017, 09:18:23 am »
My seat has been changed in the teachers' room.  I now sit between two of the older teachers who speak English well and I get along with them. Also, I'm away from the hallway door, so I won't feel the cold air every time someone opens it.