Read 1678 times

Re: Taiwan is really progressive and foreigner friendly
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2019, 10:22:26 am »
Or you know, you could actually sort of try and stay informed and have the humility to accept that just because something isn't popular with YOU and your friends, that it isn't unpopular.

I think we should be fair again.  He literally said that he doesn't deny Korean culture is popular. 

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:41 am »
Feel free to violently disagree. I'm sure I'm forgetting many cuisines.
Ethiopian should definitely be on the list. One of my favs and it does have some global recognition.

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2019, 10:39:34 am »
I think we should be fair again.  He literally said that he doesn't deny Korean culture is popular. 
True, but he was rather broad in his skepticism and there was something of a stepback once the absurdity of his position was becoming clearer and clearer.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2019, 10:42:24 am »
Confusedsaffer, I notice in your vague response you didn't address this comment of yours that I touched upon: " "Taiwan  is 50 X the country Korea is, it's better in every way"

I mean, that's really why I responded.  It's a baseless and juvenile comment.  It's a my dad can beat up your dad type of remark, so you shouldn't be surprised to be called out on something like that.  It's an extremely immature comment that reeks of bitterness. 

You may not enjoy the comparison but explaining away anything negative by saying it happens elsewhere is a very DMartic tactic.  As if foreign labourers being exploited isn't really a negative because it happens elsewhere.  You did that with two of your cons in that list.  You also did that with the weather.  As I mentioned I also lived for a few years in Phuket and Bangkok.  I know hot weather and Taiwan's summer was hot and very humid by any standard. 

Comparing Korea and Taiwan is an interesting discussion unless the person who is spearheading the discussion was booted out of Korea for age and can't seem to get over it, and likes to come on here years after supposedly moving on to let people know how much better his life now that he's not here.  Move on.

Taiwan, as has been pointed by myself and others has advantages over Korea, but again "Taiwan  is 50 X the country Korea is, it's better in every way." come on now. 

You have really got a bee in your bonnet. I said I have no further comment. In my opinion Taiwan is 50x better. That's my opinion and you don't have  to agree, that is your choice.  Your comments are very rude and I didn't post these comments to say how much better my life is now. I posted it so that people who are curious about working and living here can get some information.

So you get over it. I wish you a great time in Korea and  happiness in life.
Cheers.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2019, 11:10:21 am »
True, but he was rather broad in his skepticism and there was something of a stepback once the absurdity of his position was becoming clearer and clearer.

So how exactly was my position becoming absurd? It was simply that i haven't come across much evidence of the popularity of Korean culture in the UK. You can claim that Korean culture is popular in the UK and back it up with stats if there are any  and I'll probably accept them but it won't change my personal experience.  You can pooh pooh my personal experience and say it's limited if you want too but since you don't really know what it consists of that would be meaningless.

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2019, 11:14:03 am »
You can pooh pooh my personal experience and say it's limited if you want too but since you don't really know what it consists of that would be meaningless.
Well, that's why I asked. There were a bunch of questions that I asked that could give some context.

But "I haven't come across it, therefore it isn't a thing" without context is going to lead to us wanting to know more.

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2019, 11:23:29 am »
Fine, if you want to know, I have 9 nieces and nephews between the ages of 11-25 living in the UK who've never mentioned anything to do with Korea, though they know I live there, and a couple of them I actually asked about said it wasn't a thing at their school. Teachers I've trained who went to the UK nearly always report the same thing - that they were happy that one or two kids in each class they taught knew something about Korea. Out of a class of thirty or so. They never say 'Oh yeah, half the class were into BTS and they'd all heard of kimchi'. When Korean culture was a big thing in the UK back in 2012 with Gagnam style, the subject came up a lot more. Not scientific evidence I agree, but as I said before it's just my personal experience. . I'm sure your personal experience in your US town is quite different. Teens regularly dancing around to K pop and heading out for Korean bbq etc...   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:25:40 am by stoat »

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:30 am »
Confusedsaffer, I notice in your vague response you didn't address this comment of yours that I touched upon: " "Taiwan  is 50 X the country Korea is, it's better in every way"

I mean, that's really why I responded.  It's a baseless and juvenile comment.  It's a my dad can beat up your dad type of remark, so you shouldn't be surprised to be called out on something like that.  It's an extremely immature comment that reeks of bitterness. 

You may not enjoy the comparison but explaining away anything negative by saying it happens elsewhere is a very DMartic tactic.  As if foreign labourers being exploited isn't really a negative because it happens elsewhere.  You did that with two of your cons in that list.  You also did that with the weather.  As I mentioned I also lived for a few years in Phuket and Bangkok.  I know hot weather and Taiwan's summer was hot and very humid by any standard. 

Comparing Korea and Taiwan is an interesting discussion unless the person who is spearheading the discussion was booted out of Korea for age and can't seem to get over it, and likes to come on here years after supposedly moving on to let people know how much better his life now that he's not here.  Move on.

Taiwan, as has been pointed by myself and others has advantages over Korea, but again "Taiwan  is 50 X the country Korea is, it's better in every way." come on now. 

You have really got a bee in your bonnet. I said I have no further comment. In my opinion Taiwan is 50x better. That's my opinion and you don't have  to agree, that is your choice.  Your comments are very rude and I didn't post these comments to say how much better my life is now. I posted it so that people who are curious about working and living here can get some information.

So you get over it. I wish you a great time in Korea and  happiness in life.
Cheers.

I wish you well also.  But, saying I have a bee in my bonnet and am being rude because I am breaking down your post is quite thin-skinned.  You are the one who came on a Korean foreigner's website attempting to gloat about how much better your life and life in general is in Taiwan.  You don't consider that rude and petty?  And since it was based on some flimsy evidence I responded to that and your silly 50x better comment didn't deserve a credible well thought out response, did it?

So, to do you the kindness I will give you the response you seek which seems to be affirmation and a pat on the head.  "Wow!  Taiwanese schools sound like they have an awesome global menu.  That's so progressive.  Seems to me that Taiwan all around is just a much, much better place to live as a foreigner than Korea."

I always like when someone continues to argue but seems to think they're justified in calling you out on continuing the argument.  Stop and just let me have the last word!  Kids today. 

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2019, 12:18:05 pm »
Korean school lunches are hardly what you could consider "multi-cultural". I've yet to have a school lunch that doesn't consist of Kimchi, rice, and some type of Korean soup.
Udon day? Pho day? Spaghetti day? Corn dog day? Chinese food day? Hamburg steak day? Hot dog day? Pasta salad day? Tortilla chicken wrap day? Ham sandwich day?
I've been teaching here almost three years, and I don't recall eating any of the above with the exception of Chinese food, and even when it's Chinese food day, it's usually some sort of Korean-Chinese fusion dish that's served with the usual 반찬.

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2019, 12:48:01 pm »
Korean school lunches are hardly what you could consider "multi-cultural". I've yet to have a school lunch that doesn't consist of Kimchi, rice, and some type of Korean soup.
Udon day? Pho day? Spaghetti day? Corn dog day? Chinese food day? Hamburg steak day? Hot dog day? Pasta salad day? Tortilla chicken wrap day? Ham sandwich day?
I've been teaching here almost three years, and I don't recall eating any of the above with the exception of Chinese food, and even when it's Chinese food day, it's usually some sort of Korean-Chinese fusion dish that's served with the usual 반찬.

That sucks. Are you out in the boonies? The food suppliers can either be really good or really crappy out there.

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2019, 12:59:10 pm »
Fine, if you want to know, I have 9 nieces and nephews between the ages of 11-25 living in the UK who've never mentioned anything to do with Korea, though they know I live there, and a couple of them I actually asked about said it wasn't a thing at their school. Teachers I've trained who went to the UK nearly always report the same thing - that they were happy that one or two kids in each class they taught knew something about Korea. Out of a class of thirty or so. They never say 'Oh yeah, half the class were into BTS and they'd all heard of kimchi'. When Korean culture was a big thing in the UK back in 2012 with Gagnam style, the subject came up a lot more. Not scientific evidence I agree, but as I said before it's just my personal experience. . I'm sure your personal experience in your US town is quite different. Teens regularly dancing around to K pop and heading out for Korean bbq etc...
Well, I did mention several different things. For example, some kids aren't going to give two craps about some Korean pro-gamer or Kpop whatever, but they might be into cosmetics and have some interest in Korean cosmetics because they watched a youtube makeup artist talk about it. Or they might have a favorite mukbanger. They don't have to be in everything.

Also, it might have something to do with how diverse a city you grew up in and how trendy things are. Where do you live in the UK? In a city with a pretty trendy nightlife that's always having new restaurants opening and is pretty diverse and urban? Or some small town? Like my hometown is brutally cutthroat for dining and has a pretty decent nightlife and multiple entertainment districts and being into ethnic cuisine is a MUST. Even though we're a smaller sized city, it's like any big city in that respect. Of course, drive 15 minutes out of town and it's a completely different story. In town and it's "I feel like Ethiopia" and people will be like "Yes, some injera and some Wat" step out of the city and people might be like "Ethiopian food? What is that? An empty plate?"  :sad: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:08:11 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:56 pm »
So, to do you the kindness I will give you the response you seek which seems to be affirmation and a pat on the head.  "Wow!  Taiwanese schools sound like they have an awesome global menu.  That's so progressive.  Seems to me that Taiwan all around is just a much, much better place to live as a foreigner than Korea."
Dude, show some respect. My man had to dodge condoms and drunks in Gangnam every night. You know that place that ONLY THE ELITE live and go?

Maybe one of these days I'll get to step inside the fabled Green Zone of Gangnam and see if his claims really are true.

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2019, 01:24:33 pm »

That sucks. Are you out in the boonies? The food suppliers can either be really good or really crappy out there.
Nah, I'm in Daegu. Although I'm not too far away from the countryside. To be fair, the food is generally decent at school, and I really enjoy Korean cuisine for the most part, but a bit more of a variety would be nice.

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2019, 01:35:30 pm »
Nah, I'm in Daegu. Although I'm not too far away from the countryside. To be fair, the food is generally decent at school, and I really enjoy Korean cuisine for the most part, but a bit more of a variety would be nice.
Maybe it's your principal or cafeteria lady. They might have chinced on the food budget or they might hate any food that isn't Korean. Hope you get a better draw next time.

My first year I was in a podunk town and the food was almost all Korean, with just a little Koreanized Japanese and Chinese food. I think we might have gotten pizza bread a few times or some toast or something occasionally, but nothing more. By my last year there it was a much more diverse meal. Then again, thanks to being rural and having a lot of "mixed" (their term, not mine) kids, we might have had a more "multi-cultural" focus in the food, as we certainly did with other things. Who knows maybe CJ food service tossed some money to some lunch head honcho who tossed us money to then go and buy some CJ brand Pho, Udon, and Spaghetti school lunches or whatever as part of some trial program.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!