Read 44820 times

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
Koreans really need to take walking lessons.
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:17:22 pm »
Honestly, I've never known a group of people to get almost every aspect of walking wrong. From beginning to end it's messed up.

Bumping into people, cutting in line, the inability to comprehend how crosswalks work, the absence of spatial awareness, blocking the path of people entering and exiting subway cars (not to mention buses and elevators), going up stairs in the wrong direction, stopping on crowded subway stairs to watch some stupid show on their phone, the total inability to walk in a straight line, making abrupt u-turns in crowded areas, taking a single step off the subway and abruptly stopping (selfishly obstructing the path of everyone behind them), the inability to read and follow posted signs, cutting people off at a sharp angle at the bottom of stairs, pushing on the subway, refusing to lift their eyes from their friggin' phones, stepping out from between parked cars and walking into the street without looking, running without looking where they're going, the inability to form a queue, blocking the passing lane on escalators, blocking doorways that people need to get through, getting to the top of steps and just stopping (ignoring the horde of humanity behind them), blocking supermarket aisles with their shopping carts, trying to push through a space already occupied by someone else, unnecessarily brushing into others when there's a full six feet in front of them, stepping on the of the heels of the person in front of them, and on and on it goes.

Honestly, how can a society get almost every aspect of walking wrong?

I'm proposing that the government make Walking 101 a mandatory course that every student in public school must take and pass before getting their degree.

5000 years of civilization and they still can't get the knack of walking! It's time for some government intervention.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:33:48 pm by Horus »

• mrc45
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 12:50:26 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Koreans really need to take walking lessons.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:45:49 pm »
OP, I definitely understand your frustration. I really hate being stuck behind someone shuffling along and staring at their phones because they can't stand to not be watching TV every second of the day. Some people are just so vapid; god forbid they actually have an original thought in their heads.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:52:18 pm »
I used to live in greater Seoul, but now living in the country.

I dread going into Seoul.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »
I'm in the sticks and it was fun when there was fresh snow on the ground. I had to get up quite early to catch the bus and would often be the third or fourth person to walk on that snow. Form time to time I would look back and spot the difference between my tracks and the others. One straight-ish line and 3 waves.

Maybe that's why the only speed sport Koreans are good at is speed skating because it still involves going from side to side.

• ThulsaDoom
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• December 08, 2009, 09:03:06 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:59:02 pm »
I was in Seoul last weekend wondering if it was just me or if Koreans really suck at walking. Then I was wondering if it was like this in every big city...

It's a city thing and Seoul is one of the most densely packed, highly populated cities in the world. 

• Horus
  • Expert Waygook

• March 22, 2011, 08:15:24 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:12 pm »
I was in Seoul last weekend wondering if it was just me or if Koreans really suck at walking. Then I was wondering if it was like this in every big city...

It's a city thing and Seoul is one of the most densely packed, highly populated cities in the world.

Nonsense. If I can avoid doing these things when I'm in Seoul so can Koreans. Besides I live in a rural area and they walk exactly the same out here. I was in London on winter break, a city of ten million, and encountered none of this nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:07:22 pm by Horus »

• jinteh
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:10:27 pm »

I've been to several small towns here and and I still get bumped into, even if there aren't that many people around. The lack of spacial awareness seems to be prevalent everywhere here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:13:21 pm by jinteh »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »

Always the first excuse this one. Along with Koreans driving like idiots because they are so busy.

I have, as I'm sure most people here have, visited large cities around the world where walking isn't such a issue.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

It's kind of at the bottom of this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_population_density

I do think it's cultural though. New York and Tokyo are also densely populated and see very high foot traffic. Never bumped into anyone while I was there. Koreans just like to meander.

The city thing is relevant in that I have always thought that all Koreans are at heart inhabitants of a small tranquil village who have had some some of large scale, cruel joke played on them. I get the feeling modernity was thrust upon them in the late 20th century and they have been  passively resisting since.

Busy thoroughfare at rush hour? Still going to idly zig zag along like I am checking my fields for crop damage. Bottom of escalator in a crowded shopping mall? Perfect place to talk to my friends like we are at a village market. Isn't this sidewalk narrow for our group? Quickly let us all spread out like we are flushing game towards hunters.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:14:14 pm »

didn't take this long time to come up. it's complete nonsense.

if it's due to population density, then you wouldn't get the exact same behaviour in the rural areas where there are 3 chickens per square KM and yet 0.23 of a person per square KM. and you do.

• AlR
  • Waygookin

• April 04, 2015, 07:06:34 pm
    • Internet
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 03:56:37 pm »

if it's due to population density, then you wouldn't get the exact same behaviour in the rural areas where there are 3 chickens per square KM and yet 0.23 of a person per square KM. and you do.
Not sure on the Korean walking thing. (lol?)

But, moving and walking fast has been linked to population density. Try "walking fast in city + psychology" to read some interesting articles.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:58:19 pm by AlR »
"I would also say this.  Don't trust black men!  Don't get me wrong.  I have some black friends that are great guys." --amgoalng

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 04:11:26 am »
Definitely a passive aggressive thing sometimes. I bump into people all the time. This is my path, you saw me coming, don't walk in front of me.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 07:43:08 am »
Hahahaha. Happens to me out here on Jeju too and  even in more remote places such as Udo island. I normally just put my head down and walk straight. I'm not a great fan of those meetings in a middle of a sidewalk that go "left-left, right-right, okay you go, no you go, okay let's both go and so the cycle repeats" scenarios. 

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:18 am »

But, moving and walking fast has been linked to population density. Try "walking fast in city + psychology" to read some interesting articles.

It's not about walking fast. I wish they would. It's about not walking straight, walking in front of people, pushing and shoving, not having proper maneuvering techniques in a crowd, or just not walking at all and blocking everyone behind you...
This morning a girl stood in my way for quite a few seconds. She was walking fast towards me and seemed to avoid looking at me. If she had been more aware of the surroundings she would've noticed that I would've had to move to my right because there was a freaking tree in my way to my left. But nope, she just fluttered from right to left wondering how the heck I ended up in her way because she decided to move to her right. Brilliant. She should've just continued walking straight.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 08:15:25 am »

Speed isn't the issue. Slowly meandering, stopping suddenly, turning without warning, being completely oblivious to their surroundings, walking into people, not moving with the flow is the issue.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 08:21:17 am »
Definitely a passive aggressive thing sometimes. I bump into people all the time. This is my path, you saw me coming, don't walk in front of me.

This should be in the handbook.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 08:26:23 am »
When I first got here oh so long ago, I bought this shitty comic book that was written by a Korean to help explain Korean culture and history.

There were a few pages in this book about walking and personal space.
It's been a while since I've read this, but...

He rationalized that the two most polite cultures, British and Japanese, are polite because they live on islands. An island society has to be polite and get along nicely because they are all stuck in the same tiny space with no escape.

Korea, on the other hand, is a peninsula which has been invaded many many times. Somehow the author connected this tidbit with the cultural trait of not caring if you bump into other people. Something about how they are used to conflict. He went on to say that "Koreans crave this deep down" or something because they got used to being run over by their neighbors every so often.

• tamnier
  • Veteran

• November 28, 2010, 07:28:16 am
    • korea
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
Koreans always run into my chair, put their hands on my chair even though there are no other objects nearby in a restaurant, pc bang, etc etc.  Please stop this it's annoying

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
When I first got here oh so long ago, I bought this shitty comic book that was written by a Korean to help explain Korean culture and history.

There were a few pages in this book about walking and personal space.
It's been a while since I've read this, but...

He rationalized that the two most polite cultures, British and Japanese, are polite because they live on islands. An island society has to be polite and get along nicely because they are all stuck in the same tiny space with no escape.

Korea, on the other hand, is a peninsula which has been invaded many many times. Somehow the author connected this tidbit with the cultural trait of not caring if you bump into other people. Something about how they are used to conflict. He went on to say that "Koreans crave this deep down" or something because they got used to being run over by their neighbors every so often.

"Korea Unmasked" I think it is. I also read that. God there was some absolute shite in there.
I read it before I stepped foot in Korea and it was my first exposure to the "please understand our special situation" phenomena.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 09:37:12 am »
Not sure if it's a korean thing. I've lived in multiple countries and there are "weird" people everywhere. Last month I was walking in Hongdae with my korean co-teacher, and in 10 minutes we encountered 3 walking fails. She was just as annoyed as me. All my korean friends are competent walkers.

If you think korean drivers are bad, try living in Taiwan. you'll probably cry and do a midnight runner. Every few months one of my friends land in the hospital.

I'm in my 30s, and if I had to generalize about this, I would say people as a whole started to fail at walking after smartphones became ubiquitous. on bad days i just walk into people looking at their phones if they're headed straight for me. it's pretty funny. I don't see it as a race or culture thing. another group would be children. they kind of suck at walking. and some old people.