Read 2788 times

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2011, 02:51:39 pm
    • South Korea
Design majors? Anyone?
« on: April 25, 2011, 11:07:22 pm »
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any design majors among the waygook.org community. More specifically any graphic design majors.

I'm here in Korea teaching (my contract is almost up), but would like to pursue a career in the field that I majored in here in Korea. Or if you know of any graphic designers with experience in Korea that'd be awesome too.

Thanks!

• jauntwithjo
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 07:26:13 am
    • seoul, korea
Re: Design majors? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:10:53 am »
I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm just working on improving those rushed projects from school and putting together a portfolio site though.

Do you speak Korean? It's going to be crazy hard if you don't...

But hurrah for finding a fellow designer! Have you noticed how crazy they are for gradients and all the colors of the rainbow? XD
Before you create a thread, remember waygook.org has a search engine! Please help keep the redundancy down. Do a little research of your own before making a thread in case the information is already available.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:21:03 am »
(I should start every post with "Geeko" it's my routine)
  Geeko!! Be more precise...Specializ ation in 3D, Animation WebSite Building?
My E-mail is applefr@yahoo.co.uk so....send me a mail if you need NAMES because you are not allowed advertising on the forum....   

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:30:39 am »
I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm just working on improving those rushed projects from school and putting together a portfolio site though.

Do you speak Korean? It's going to be crazy hard if you don't...

But hurrah for finding a fellow designer! Have you noticed how crazy they are for gradients and all the colors of the rainbow? XD

I do speak Korean, but I'm not 100% fluent. How about yourself?
Where in Korea are you? I've been trying to look for someone to bounce ideas off of and get some legit critiques.
You're still in school for GD?

I'm actually working on some self-initiated projects. If I see a business that could probably benefit from a better logo/identity, I just work on a new one for fun.
Do you have any of your work posted up on any other sites?

Glad to have found another designer too!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:33:08 am »
I'm a fashion design major and also worked as a graphic t-shirt designer before coming to Korea. Right now I am working with a Korean fashion designer friend on a collection. Hurray for designers!

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:38:56 am »
I'm a fashion design major and also worked as a graphic t-shirt designer before coming to Korea. Right now I am working with a Korean fashion designer friend on a collection. Hurray for designers!

That's awesome  8) Are you working with the fashion designer as you are teaching here in Korea?
How did you find out about the opportunity to work with a Korean fashion designer?
I'm so eager to network with other graphic designers here in Korea, but haven't been too successful.
I'm definitely open to take on some freelance projects too :)

• meganekko
  • Adventurer

• July 04, 2010, 06:43:44 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:52 am »
i majored in photography and graphic design. :) i do plan to (hopefully) work in a related field after my contract is up, but back in the states, not in korea. i would imagine, though, that even if you were fluent in korean, you'd probably still have to learn a lot about typography using hangul? i think about that every time i see horrific english typography here, including the roman letters included with hangul fonts on my browser. it makes my head hurt trying to read it...  :'(

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:55 am »
i majored in photography and graphic design. :) i do plan to (hopefully) work in a related field after my contract is up, but back in the states, not in korea. i would imagine, though, that even if you were fluent in korean, you'd probably still have to learn a lot about typography using hangul? i think about that every time i see horrific english typography here, including the roman letters included with hangul fonts on my browser. it makes my head hurt trying to read it...  :'(

awesome! have you done any work here in korea?
i'm looking to find someone i can bounce ideas off of and get some legit critiques.
i'm in the gyeongnam (경상남도) province and you?

• greenchalk
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 03:14:36 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:30:54 am »
i'm a graphic designer. haven't done any work for pay, as it's against the terms in the contract, but i did freelance work for a (now defunct) foreigner publication in daegu. nothing i would really spotlight in a portfolio but it at least kept indesign open from time to time and gave the sort of projects that let me 'veg out' as a designer...meaning i didn't really have to think too much about what i was doing and could just make things look sort of pretty.

i was recently thinking about looking into larger companies back home that have offices here (i know landor and interbrand, for example, have seoul offices) and trying to arrange a studio visit, just for the exposure and comparison. i have very little faith that i could actually find work at such a place, although i did recently talk to a korean-american (speaks fluent korean mind you) who started working for an interior design place in seoul from just putting out resumes. maybe its possible?

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
i'm a graphic designer. haven't done any work for pay, as it's against the terms in the contract, but i did freelance work for a (now defunct) foreigner publication in daegu. nothing i would really spotlight in a portfolio but it at least kept indesign open from time to time and gave the sort of projects that let me 'veg out' as a designer...meaning i didn't really have to think too much about what i was doing and could just make things look sort of pretty.

i was recently thinking about looking into larger companies back home that have offices here (i know landor and interbrand, for example, have seoul offices) and trying to arrange a studio visit, just for the exposure and comparison. i have very little faith that i could actually find work at such a place, although i did recently talk to a korean-american (speaks fluent korean mind you) who started working for an interior design place in seoul from just putting out resumes. maybe its possible?

are you in the seoul area?
i'd definitely be down to visit some studios.

• greenchalk
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2010, 03:14:36 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:42:31 am »
no, daegu. but i'd do the studio visits in seoul. probably where they are most common

• jdniii
  • Veteran

• April 25, 2010, 08:21:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:28 am »
I majored in architecture and met a Korean architect my first year here.  He was going to let me intern there by starting to help with English for their projects, but in the end I decided I couldn't go through with working an extra 20 hours on top of the ESL job.  The opportunities are out there if you meet the right people!

• meganekko
  • Adventurer

• July 04, 2010, 06:43:44 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »
i'm looking to find someone i can bounce ideas off of and get some legit critiques.

not unless you count the materials i've designed for my students to use in classes, haha. i'm in daegu. i do know a couple of people who are actively doing graphic design jobs, though. both were actually working as graphic designers before coming to korea. i could ask them if they'd be interested in getting in touch with you.^^

• sukhoon2
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 10:52:04 pm »

not unless you count the materials i've designed for my students to use in classes, haha. i'm in daegu. i do know a couple of people who are actively doing graphic design jobs, though. both were actually working as graphic designers before coming to korea. i could ask them if they'd be interested in getting in touch with you.^^

That'd be awesome. I'd like to network as much as possible :)