Read 5495 times

• awave34
  • Newgookin

• January 29, 2016, 11:22:05 am
Twinkle English Academy
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:59:59 pm »
Hello,
Has anyone heard anything about Twinkle English Academy in Daechi-dong Gangnam? I have been unable to find any information on it and would appreciate any insight. Thanks a lot!

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Twinkle English Academy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:28:29 pm »
I'm not sure if it's the same Twinkle but I had a friend who worked for an academy of that name and the bosses all seem really chill.  They even go out to Itaewon and buy bottle service at a fancy club during the weekends.  Not all the time but that school like to plan fun company outings like that and the staff gets along great because of it.  I could be talking about another Twinkle but that's what I can tell you so far.  They seem to want to treat the staff like family.  And if you aren't the type to want to play along with them they may not be to fond of you.  So it's best to try and make friends early on.  I'm not sure if this is the same Twinkle but yeah that's what I can tell you. 

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:05:03 pm »
Which one did you work at? Bundang, Daechi, or Mokdong? Are they all run by the same managers/owners?

• bpqq365
  • Newgookin

• October 15, 2019, 10:33:32 am
    • Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:56:37 am »
I've been working at Twin.kle Bundang for almost a year and a half, and I was surprised to hear about that experience. My boss is super chill and lets me have a lot of freedom with my work and how  I teach. I've been making my own materials to go along with the curriculum since I practically started and the feedback I receive from my supervisors and boss has always been either praise or constructive criticism, never anything that could be considered demeaning or made me feel as if they were micromanaging. It surprises me to hear you say that since I've never had an issue with any of my bosses. Andrew and Brian own the schools and are our bosses, but each school has a headteacher who acts as a liaison and general manager.

Also the pay...3.2 million...for entry-level and little teaching experience...not to mention severance, flexible holidays, and airfare...sounds like a much better deal than other hagwons.

A bunch of the teachers even made a post about their time here. I've only ever heard good things, and while there is a workload as with any teaching position, I've never felt pressured to get anything done and my bosses have always been thankful for my work.
https://www.teachfortwinkle.com/

I sincerely have to disagree with davidsx's opinion as it directly contradicts with my experiences here. When and how long ago did you work with the school?

• rosemrh
  • Newgookin

• October 15, 2019, 12:03:03 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
I worked at Twinkle... don't work here unless you want to be micro-managed by your supervisors to no end and be forced to uphold unrealistic standards while receiving subpar pay. Also I can't speak for both owners, but one of them is mentally unstable. Best to avoid.

Are we talking about the same Twinkle? I have to disagree with everything you've said, and to be honest, I question the legitimacy of your comment. Which Twinkle branch did you work at? When did you work there?

The Twinkle bosses are by far the most reasonable and supportive I've worked under. I've never felt "micro-managed" and have never heard this complaint from any of my coworkers. We are a tight-knit team in Bundang, and the same goes for the other branches.

Regarding "sub-par pay"... we are paid 3.2 million with great raises each year. What are you talking about?

Davidsx - your comments are completely untrue, and I hope that anyone who reads this forum sees through your lies.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:43:32 pm »
I worked for Twinkle and can honestly say that in ten years of English teaching, Twinkle is the only school that really cares about the education being delivered rather than the profit margin at the end of the month. The standards are high because of that, but I never felt they were unrealistic or unreasonable. While working for Twinkle, my mother passed away and the owners and staff at the entire school were real human beings full of compassion. If you ever teach English, please do it at Twinkle because I've found it to be the only place out there that is really on the side of better education for kids and truly supportive of teachers. You receive the freedom to be creative, can have a real conversation with the owners and will have a great time if you are committed. All they ask for is a passion to give the best for the kids.

• davidsx
  • Explorer

• October 12, 2019, 04:39:50 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 09:08:48 pm »
wow! I can't believe the owners of Twinkle have mysteriously appeared here to refute the FACTS written on my reply to a post written in 2016  :laugh:  especially baffling considering that they have been inundated with negative reviews on other sites to such a degree that they've posted disclaimers on their job advertisements warning people that all negative feedback about them is fabricated.

• davidsx
  • Explorer

• Seoul
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:14:05 pm »
I worked at Twinkle... don't work here unless you want to be micro-managed by your supervisors to no end and be forced to uphold unrealistic standards while receiving subpar pay. Also I can't speak for both owners, but one of them is mentally unstable. Best to avoid.

Are we talking about the same Twinkle? I have to disagree with everything you've said, and to be honest, I question the legitimacy of your comment. Which Twinkle branch did you work at? When did you work there?

The Twinkle bosses are by far the most reasonable and supportive I've worked under. I've never felt "micro-managed" and have never heard this complaint from any of my coworkers. We are a tight-knit team in Bundang, and the same goes for the other branches.

Regarding "sub-par pay"... we are paid 3.2 million with great raises each year. What are you talking about?

Davidsx - your comments are completely untrue, and I hope that anyone who reads this forum sees through your lies.

Wow, which one are you... Andrew or Brian? How can you speak for the environment at all 4 branches of Twinkle? pay starts at 2.4 million won... I don't know where you're getting your numbers from.

Also, to anyone who is interested: Twinkle pays bonuses to teachers who write positive reviews about their company. They have an entire website dedicated to teachers who have written these reviews. Just be careful where you get your information. Any company that engages in this kind of propaganda clearly has something to hide.

• davidsx
  • Explorer

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 09:22:52 pm »
Also, it's quite interesting to note that the prior 3 posts singing the praises of Twinkle were all made by users who registered within just a few hours of each other on the exact same day. Frightfully curious.  8)

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 07:11:23 am »

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 10:08:27 pm »
   What can I say about Twinkle? If I applied to them, would they read my C.V. and if so, would they grant me an interview? It should be possible, because I am experienced and know how to handle kids. As I said, it should be possible.

Judging from the comments above, Twinkle is an excellent institution that offers very good pay and conditions. But those comments contradict other comments. Twinkle has recently placed an ad on Dave's ESL Café. It that ad the staff at Twinkle plead with jobseekers to disregard all the bad publicity and complaints the company has received. I suggest you go to Dave's ESL Café and check out that ad. It's interesting.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 10:32:22 pm »
  The job ad I mentioned was posted on October 15th. It says "Teach at the Best Academy in the Multiverse".

At the bottom of the page there is this message: [quotePlease send specific cover letters, no generic cover letters
If you research Twinkle please ignore the lies recently posted by a mysterious person we don't know https://blacklist.tokyojon.com/ We currently do not have CCTV in classrooms or supervisors or upper managers at Twinkle - needless to say the other statements are also false
][/quote]

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 02:16:14 am »
Dude....

The way we feel about you dissing Twinkle tells you everything about how teachers feel about working there.

I don't believe you've ever taught there because you've got so much wrong about it.

• bpqq365
  • Newgookin

• Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 01:01:25 pm »

Wow, which one are you... Andrew or Brian? How can you speak for the environment at all 4 branches of Twinkle? pay starts at 2.4 million won... I don't know where you're getting your numbers from.

Also, to anyone who is interested: Twinkle pays bonuses to teachers who write positive reviews about their company. They have an entire website dedicated to teachers who have written these reviews. Just be careful where you get your information. Any company that engages in this kind of propaganda clearly has something to hide.

The fact that three teachers made an effort to contradict your rude comment should indicate our respect and love for Twinkle. Not to mention your comments are blatantly wrong. The pay is clearly written and explained on the Twinkle advertisement. I have to wonder where you are getting your numbers from as at this point there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support your claims.

Perhaps it might seem ridiculous to hear about teachers being happy enough with their job to want to write about it (For free, yes. We actually wanted to write them), but if you actually read the posts we wrote you will see how honest and sincere we are.

I find it necessary to defend my workplace against these claims because as anyone who has taken the time to read what teachers have to say both on this post and on the website we lovingly created, Twinkle is truly a fantastic place to work and definitely a rarity among hagwons in Korea.

I do not plan on attempting to correct this person and whatever he tries to say to defame Twinkle anymore. However, if anyone is curious about what it is like to work here and if you have any questions about the school, please feel free to send me a pm. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have with the hope that one day I will get a chance to work alongside you. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:40:55 am by bpqq365 »

• bpqq365
  • Newgookin

• Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:49 pm »
   What can I say about Twinkle? If I applied to them, would they read my C.V. and if so, would they grant me an interview? It should be possible, because I am experienced and know how to handle kids. As I said, it should be possible.

Judging from the comments above, Twinkle is an excellent institution that offers very good pay and conditions. But those comments contradict other comments. Twinkle has recently placed an ad on Dave's ESL Café. It that ad the staff at Twinkle plead with jobseekers to disregard all the bad publicity and complaints the company has received. I suggest you go to Dave's ESL Café and check out that ad. It's interesting.

I would say definitely give it a try! By generic, it just means don't copy and paste the same thing over again, but be honest about your interests and what attracted you to the advertisement. It's what I did. :)