Read 2260 times

• daechan16
  • Veteran

• August 30, 2015, 11:17:20 am
    • Gangwon, South Korea
Chances of getting into Seoul
« on: March 08, 2016, 07:49:13 am »
I will finish my contract in august but I'm applying for Seoul (from gangwon) what are my chances of getting seoul at this point? I need to live in a city and not on a farm lol

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
Re: Chances of getting into Seoul
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 07:50:05 am »
Are you talking about getting into a public school through SMOE?

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:35:37 am »
The important thing is: public or private?

You should probably also give a few more details. Experience, preferred level etc.

Public is possible but very difficult and probably not worth it. If you hunt and screen for a good hagwon over the next while, or better yet a private school, then you can find a great job within Seoul but it will usually take a fair bit of digging, research and a spot of luck too.

• daechan16
  • Veteran

• Gangwon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:41:17 am »
Sorry everyone but im an EPIK teacher now in a public school and would like to move to a SMOE via the same route. I have a year of epik experience and previous substitute teaching experience. I've worked with 1st grade to last year high school but would prefer middle school overall.

SmallBaguette: Not worth it meaning?

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:23:41 am »
Sorry everyone but im an EPIK teacher now in a public school and would like to move to a SMOE via the same route. I have a year of epik experience and previous substitute teaching experience. I've worked with 1st grade to last year high school but would prefer middle school overall.

SmallBaguette: Not worth it meaning?

Not worth the hassle (for me, personally), unless you can apply from being within the program already or something. I have only ever met 1 public school teacher in Seoul, it's about as rare as jobs get here. Not that you can't get it. I went from public outside Seoul to private inside Seoul and it has worked out a lot better for me.

Getting a public job in Seoul is definitely doable, so if you're really set on it then go for it but I wouldn't put all your eggs in that basket. Definitely keep private options open so you don't end up stuck without a job and needing to take whatever is available and end up in a bad position.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:34:14 am »
How does one find a private school?

• jwrogers
  • Newgookin

• March 01, 2016, 06:51:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:51:46 am »
I applied early for the March intake last year, and got it without any professional teaching experience. I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble. Lots of teachers transfer from provinces.

• nomadicmadda
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 01, 2014, 06:49:40 am
    • Seoul, formerly Boseong
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »
I'd reckon private schools are better than public purely because your contract is between you and the school, not a POE/MOE managing multiple teachers on the same contract.  For those with more experience, there's more wiggle room for negotiations.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:50:08 pm »

I got mine through a recruiter, same as I got my gepik one before.

• daechan16
  • Veteran

• Gangwon, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 01:04:29 pm »

I got mine through a recruiter, same as I got my gepik one before.

Yes i think going through a recruiter is my best bet. If the public route doesnt work they can look in to private options without me having to go through trial and error of first time non-epik teaching. I need to get the heck out of Hwacheon hahaha so i applied to a recruiter today and will hopefully hear back soon to get a job by the end of the summer.
My school got reall scared asking if i planned on leaving this week and not finishing my contract I'm like no! HAHAH chill i'm just planning ahead i only have five months left in my contract!

• ThulsaDoom
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• December 08, 2009, 09:03:06 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 01:09:34 pm »
You're a woman so you'll have a much easier time than a dirty, filthy man, lol.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »
I will finish my contract in august but I'm applying for Seoul (from gangwon) what are my chances of getting seoul at this point? I need to live in a city and not on a farm lol

Hey!! I'm pretty sure I know who you are. But yeah I just changed to Seoul through EPIK and I think that as a returning teacher we do get a bit of a preference? It seemed that way to me. And all the people I know that reapplied for Seoul got it. But that's only like 5-6 people that I know. 

So I would say go for it~~ apply early and be strict with them in saying that you want Seoul 100%. 

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »
Some posters above are right about the public schools. I got hired for public middle school last year, and as far as I have been told, there are not many. I know a couple of the people that are in the few public middle school positions, and they aren't going anywhere for now. It seems that they really want teachers with a couple of years under their belts and that can probably be available for an on-sight interview. Good luck to you! I would suggest getting in touch with the correct "gu" office personnel that cover the public NET jobs, and ask them if/when you could apply for possible openings.