Read 1367 times

• armstr31
  • Newgookin

• March 05, 2016, 05:08:24 am
    • Coventry
Hi there,

Due to my need to apply for the late entry application this fall I can no longer apply for SMOE (my first choice). I am completing my celta this summer after completing my degree in English Literature. I've never taught before but I am 24 so do have some prior work experience.

Basically I'm looking for advice on what province to apply for. I heard there's a limited number of places for each city, and you're placed anywhere else in the EPIK program if you don't get your first choice.

So any advice on what city to apply for to play the numbers? What cities have the highest intake for instance or are over subscribed? I imagine Incheon fills up pretty quick due to its proximity to Seoul, but what about Busan? Any advice is welcome, I just want to avoid being in a rural area during my first year in South Korea.

Thank you in advance!

Re: [ADVICE] Choosing province for EPIK/Playing the odds/Late Entry
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:33:59 am »
Daejeon always seems to have some late intakes. If SMOE has any they would hire directly (not through EPIK) without airfare and possibly require you to be in Korea already. If you pick one of the other metropolitan offices you probably will not get your choice and end up in a providential office.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:54:40 am »
Daejeon always seems to have some late intakes. If SMOE has any they would hire directly (not through EPIK) without airfare and possibly require you to be in Korea already. If you pick one of the other metropolitan offices you probably will not get your choice and end up in a providential office.

I'm not going for late, but regular in August. If Daejeon often has some late intakes, it must be a more easy/guaranteed placement for regular intake?
I haven't turned in my EPIK app yet, but I put Daejeon as my preference (since it's really unlikely I'll get Seoul and I don't want to be sent to some random place). Also, do you know if it's still possible to apply to SMOE directly, since it seems like EPIK has absorbed it.

Sorry OP for kind of hijacking your thread.

• Seishuun
  • Newgookin

• February 23, 2015, 04:37:53 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:18:48 am »
Depends on what you're looking for. I stayed in Daejeon for the first 2 weeks of my stay in Korea, then moved to Busan. If you dont know what province to apply for, I would recommend Busan over any other city besides Seoul. EPIK always has the largest intake in Busan anyways.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:19:26 am »
When I first started teaching in Korea through EPIK several years ago, at my intake, Busan had the largest number of NETs. Incheon had an average-ish number of NETs, but Busan was, by far, the largest. That was a long time ago, though, so it may not necessarily be the same situation these days, especially since I know Incheon and Busan have cut a lot of their NET positions in recent years, so they don't hire as many NETs as they used to, as there are now fewer teaching positions at public schools available there.

• nermal
  • Veteran

• September 26, 2012, 08:07:32 am
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 10:09:01 am »

I'm not going for late, but regular in August. If Daejeon often has some late intakes, it must be a more easy/guaranteed placement for regular intake?
I haven't turned in my EPIK app yet, but I put Daejeon as my preference (since it's really unlikely I'll get Seoul and I don't want to be sent to some random place). Also, do you know if it's still possible to apply to SMOE directly, since it seems like EPIK has absorbed it.

Sorry OP for kind of hijacking your thread.

It looks like they're still hiring their own this was posted last week: http://etis.sen.go.kr/notice/board.do?cmd=view&bcfNo=603469&bNo=118137255