Read 1050 times

Has anyone ever combined two TESOL courses?
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:09:13 am »
I ask too many questions on this site, and I apologize in advance for that.
Anyway, I keep googling and it keeps talking about combined online and in class courses. But these are one course.
I want to know if I can get a course at one place and one from another and put them together.
Because of the horrible location in which I live and a lack of money It's been difficult to find a fully in class course, or even a course with only 20hours in class.
I would really like to do this fully in class course about an hour drive from me but it's 2800 for about 120 or 130 hrs in class but I don't have any money at all tbh and it starts March.
(Although there's one in May-June which would still get me to level 2 before August so hopefully I can somehow make enough money to do the course by then).
I'd really love that one cause it'll definitely make me stand out more.
But if not I found a university course which is also an hour away, and it's fully in class for about 60 hours. So I was thinking of doing an 100 hr (my mom keeps telling me to do 40hr) online course and combining the two. Would this work? Say, for instance if I wanted to teach in Busan would they accept this?

• yirj17
  • The Legend

• September 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am
    • Korealand
Re: Has anyone ever combined two TESOL courses?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 03:15:18 pm »
I don't think it matters if the in-class portion comes from a different source than the online, so long as you get the minimum or preferred number of hours.

I actually only have an online TEFL (budget reasons and thought I'd risk it) and one of my recruiters recommended I try to get some in-class hours to open up more options, even if from a different source. I ended up getting a public school job through a different recruiter w/only my online BUT I will say that I had a little experience teaching children before and my previous job for 3 years involved duties that included a teaching aspect. So I did have those going for me.

In the Jeollanamdo area, they still hire at the most basic level (which is just a BA and no TEFL-- essentially my online course was useless other than the experience. At least it wasn't that expensive and it did brush up on grammar and lesson planning). But I think it's becoming the norm for nearly all other areas of Korea to start at the next level (TEFL required, in class portion preferred). If I recall correctly, Busan generally requires 60 in class hours on top of 100 (so 160 total??) but I would double check. Otherwise I think a minimum of 20 in class hours is required by most areas but more is always better.

Re: Has anyone ever combined two TESOL courses?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:59:44 pm »
as far as i know, it's perfectly acceptable to combine classes like that. if you do 100 hours online, and then 60 hours in-class, it should be ok.

best thing to do would be to email EPIK and ask them - epik@korea.kr