Read 843 times

How do I get a residency certificate?
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:15 pm »
Does anyone know how to deal with getting a residency certificate fast? My employers told me they need one from my home country (Britain) as soon as possible. I filled in a residency certificate application but got an automatic email saying they usually respond within 15 working days (i.e. 3 weeks) but I really need it before I leave my job on March 1st! I would be really grateful if anyone could give me any advice or information!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:39:02 pm by Rachel the traveller »

Re: How do I get a residency certificate?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 07:44:04 am »
I'm not from Britain, but if the process is anything like America's, it could possibly take 3-6 months to get. You'll probably have to send it to your school after you've already left.

  • jimwall5
  • Veteran

    • 166

    • March 03, 2014, 07:49:56 pm
    • Korea
Re: How do I get a residency certificate?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:51:18 am »
I kept getting asked for one in my first year too. I applied to HMRC a couple of times and explained it's needed to stop us from having to pay taxes in the first two years. They said technically I'm a resident of Korea while I'm here, so it became a but of a Catch 22. I gave up in the end and ended up having to pay taxes, although they aren't huge here anyway.
If did actually talk to someone at the British consulate in Seoul who said they could sign something saying I'm a UK resident, but I would have had to take a day off work to rush to Seoul and pay 80 000 won for the certificate, so I didn't in the end.
If anyone managed to get the certificate from the UK though I'd also like to know.